• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Start with Ness

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Guys someone just tell me how can i start to be a ness mainer. Just i know medium how to use but i think something just is wrong

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Back throw is a kill move at ~110%+ for a decent amount of the cast.
DThrow has set knockback allowing for combos.
FAir combos into itself.
Practice his Up B recovering a lot, to get used to specific situations and angles.
Practice the way he moves around the stage, he's floaty, so he'll take time to get used to.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Be reaaaally familiar with the character. Develop the muscle memory for Ness' little quirks. (Downsmashing to damage opponents behind you, being able to tail whip with PKT, and knowing how to PK Fire in midair and actually land it.)
If you can't beat level 9 CPUs with Ness, start there.

Practice PKT2 at various angles. Decide "I'm going to PKT2 at THAT spot" then be able to do it.
Learn how to use PKT for every scenario. Learn how to juggle and learn how to defend with it. (For example, lots of characters like Bowser/Yoshi, Link/Tlink, ZSS/Sheik/Sonic will try to use a rapid fall move on you. Be able to defend against it with the tail of PKT and curl the head around to hit them. The tail interrupts all moves and will save your life.)

Break habits other characters may have given you. This means never down/uptilting unless the very specific scenario calls for it. In this Smash, Ness should be using his specials and aerials nonstop, with yo-yos to deal with people too close, and the bat for reflection and KOs. The bat is SITUATIONAL. As good as it is, don't rely on it. Ness should be getting most of his KOs from aerials, back throw, and PKT2.

Last, but most importantly, practice your mechanics. These will help you no matter what character you play, but for characters like Ness that have their share of weaknesses, they're going to be extra important. Being able to save yourself with good mechanics will be very important. With good DI, powershielding, spot dodging, teching, and fastfall timing, Ness is significantly better. (Also much hardier and surprisingly hard to KO.)

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
ty really :D also another question, if you use gc pad, c stick do you set up on tilt or smash for ness?

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
I use smash on C, and just tap for aerials. On the ground, Ness is more likely to need a quick smash attack than a tilt. Ness almost never uses tilts. Uptilt is for people directly on you at low percents for a quick double/(triple?) uptilt combo, and forward tilt is an emergency spacing move for people that get all up in your grill. These will probably come into play about 1 game out of 30. You will use smash attacks every game. Being able to tap side C for a quick bat reflect is a lot more useful than Ness' extremely short forward tilt.

Namefound

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-2603-8552
For my advice, go into training mode and screw around with your attacks, Like EarthboundEnigma said, practice that PK Thunder! Try going into training mode, and try to juggle the training dummy with PKT for a bit, and try to learn how PKT 2 works. It wouldn't hurt to learn about being able to use your thunder again after hitting a wall.

PK Fire is also a thing you can practice with, get used to using PK Fire both on the ground and air, and learn how long it takes for the flame to die out. Another thing to note is that Ness' Bat can reflect projectiles, but try to not to use that too often, unless if you want your foes to catch on.

The most important thing, however, is to stay determined! Not everyone can master Ness within a day or two, Learn from your mistakes, train everyday, and never give up! As a guy who mains Ness, I give you my full support, I'm sure you'll make a great Ness!

Noa.

Smash Master
Look of videos of nakat's ness. His ness is quite remarkable and by watching him you can quickly pick up on a lot of the basics of Ness play.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
ty all of you guys, you give to me some important tips. i`m so happy about that

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Look of videos of nakat's ness. His ness is quite remarkable and by watching him you can quickly pick up on a lot of the basics of Ness play.
You can watch his play, live, here.
He streams regularly and plays Ness often, even taking requests and taking the time to explain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom