• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star-Spangled, Steam Powered Hero: Henry for Smash Switch!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
It took me a bit to warm up to it, but yeah, I’m in love with this remix. It’s definitely not the song I would have chosen, but whoever composed it definitely made it work well. I dunno what stage this plays on, but I’m gonna make damn sure it plays as often as possible.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hearing the song reminded me that, despite the fact that I never played Code Name STEAM, nor heard good things about it, Henry has a cool design, looks like he’d play really uniquely, and is a character I would be happy about seeing in Smash. I support!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Good-ish news. There's more Codename STEAM music.
Bad news. It's just the FE Amiibo music.
Good-ish news. They're pretty good tracks if you like old FE (namely Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem and Gaiden).
Bad news. There's a third FE main theme mix among them.

I'll hold out for some more STEAM spirits before I get too excited, honestly.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Good-ish news. There's more Codename STEAM music.
Bad news. It's just the FE Amiibo music.
Good-ish news. They're pretty good tracks if you like old FE (namely Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem and Gaiden).
Bad news. There's a third FE main theme mix among them.

I'll hold out for some more STEAM spirits before I get too excited, honestly.
I actually really enjoyed the FE remixes from S.T.E.A.M and I was hoping they’d make it in Smash! Definitely a little bummed that we didn’t get Deadly Dance ll or even just the main theme, but I’ll take what I can get.

By the third remix, do you mean the Title Screen from FE:Heroes or something else?

Also GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 welcome aboard! Always nice to see support. DLC is unlikely, but nothing is impossible... :)

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Add me as a supporter! I know I’m really late, but I LOVE this game and Henry!

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Well at least we got a song and a spirit.

I've been seeing a lot of Codename STEAM supporters switching to supporting Abraham Lincoln. That'd lowkey be really cool lmao. I played STEAM and loved the music, story, and aesthetics, but the gameplay was really off-putting and I hated the inconsistent difficulty spikes. Still, the game got a very undeserved bad reception and I'd love to see more representation in Smash

It took me a bit to warm up to it, but yeah, I’m in love with this remix. It’s definitely not the song I would have chosen, but whoever composed it definitely made it work well. I dunno what stage this plays on, but I’m gonna make damn sure it plays as often as possible.
You probably already know this by now, but this song will play on any of the "other" stages...Hanenbow, Summit, Pictochat 2, Duck Hunt, Balloon Fight, Living Room, Tomodachi Life, Find Mii, Wrecking Crew, Pilotwings, and Wuhu Island.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
It's funny, before reading your moveset, I never realized how much the Mii Gunner and accompanying steam punk clothes in Smash U/3RD fit for this character.
Having one Mii in a steampunk outfit and another Mii in a suit and tophat would have made for a great Codename Steam Spirit battle.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So I've been thinking about Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. lately, and I'm trying to think of what a sequal would be like. Does anybody have any ideas?

Also, I found some mockups for theoretical characters to be in a sequal, if anyone is interested.
https://www.deviantart.com/thegoldenkinoku/gallery/67255310/code-name-s-t-e-a-m-character-mockups
I’ll play your game.

Let’s see, first book we have english and american literature from later half of the 1800s to the early 1900s taking from stories such as the Oz series (for probably the largest chunk of cast from one book), Henry Fleming (Red Badge of Courage I believe), Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer’s there), Peter Pan (Tiger Lily) and US folk tales (John Henry)

And of course mecha lincoln. Ah, mecha Lincoln.

And a plot from war of the worlds by Wells. Who I’m going to amalgamate Jules Verne because I did this post wrong (edit and sorry).

-

Sequel Option 1 - So the first one did war of the worlds, have the second one take further from Verne and go with “The Time Machine” which can be used to increase the amount of literary characters to pull from to ancient mythological heroes and demigods which could be the focus of this romp through ancient empires. Increases characters and diversity in gameplay, but loses the steampunk focus.

-

Sequel Option 2 - Seriously we have four characters from the wizard of oz... do you know how many sequels that series has? Go to the land of oz, keep using characters from Oz books (Steampunk Polychrome will be awesome), take villains from the land of Oz (General Guph and the Gnome King come to immediate mind) and steampunk them all.

In fact, there was an Oz book where General Guph just goes around appealing to all the bad guys and villains to make a superbad army. Have him do that with steampunk equipment for everyone.

Keep dimension hopping for a Neverland crossover

-

Sequel Option 3 - Stick with Verne plots, have things from 20,000 leagues under the sea (and get lovecrafty with it) come up to attack and get more literary characters from the time join up to help.

-

Sequel Option 4 - Kaiser Bill attacks with an army led by characters from German, Ottoman, and Austrian/Hungarian fiction of the 1800s-early 1900s?

You can literally take the guy right our of all quiet on the western front.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ll play your game.

Let’s see, first book we have english and american literature from later half of the 1800s to the early 1900s taking from stories such as the Oz series (for probably the largest chunk of cast from one book), Henry Fleming (Red Badge of Courage I believe), Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer’s there), Peter Pan (Tiger Lily) and US folk tales (John Henry)

And of course mecha lincoln. Ah, mecha Lincoln.

And a plot from war of the worlds by Wells. Who I’m going to amalgamate Jules Verne because I did this post wrong (edit and sorry).

-

Sequel Option 1 - So the first one did war of the worlds, have the second one take further from Verne and go with “The Time Machine” which can be used to increase the amount of literary characters to pull from to ancient mythological heroes and demigods which could be the focus of this romp through ancient empires. Increases characters and diversity in gameplay, but loses the steampunk focus.

-

Sequel Option 2 - Seriously we have four characters from the wizard of oz... do you know how many sequels that series has? Go to the land of oz, keep using characters from Oz books (Steampunk Polychrome will be awesome), take villains from the land of Oz (General Guph and the Gnome King come to immediate mind) and steampunk them all.

In fact, there was an Oz book where General Guph just goes around appealing to all the bad guys and villains to make a superbad army. Have him do that with steampunk equipment for everyone.

Keep dimension hopping for a Neverland crossover

-

Sequel Option 3 - Stick with Verne plots, have things from 20,000 leagues under the sea (and get lovecrafty with it) come up to attack and get more literary characters from the time join up to help.

-

Sequel Option 4 - Kaiser Bill attacks with an army led by characters from German, Ottoman, and Austrian/Hungarian fiction of the 1800s-early 1900s?

You can literally take the guy right our of all quiet on the western front.
I would adore a more Verneian (?) take on the plot. 20.000 Leagues is one of my favorite books and I think that fits really well with the steampunk aspect (combining that with Lovecraft is genius btw). Though I don't see a plot like that being easy for the TBS genre. Maybe something like Around the World in 80 Days instead?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I would adore a more Verneian (?) take on the plot. 20.000 Leagues is one of my favorite books and I think that fits really well with the steampunk aspect (combining that with Lovecraft is genius btw). Though I don't see a plot like that being easy for the TBS genre. Maybe something like Around the World in 80 Days instead?
If you don't mind me asking, how would you adapt something like Around the World in 80 Days into something like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.? I'm kinda curious.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If you don't mind me asking, how would you adapt something like Around the World in 80 Days into something like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.? I'm kinda curious.
Codename STEAM 2: Around the world in 80 Battles.

Easiest level map I could think of.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think around the world in 80 days would be be referenced by including Phileas Fogg as the navigator/pilot of your teams main mode of transportation.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If they upres'd it and made it a bit easier to get into I could see it doing a lot better. But I can't see anyone at Nintendo being interested in funding that unfortunately.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wonder... you guys think I.S. would give Codename STEAM another shot if it came to the Switch?
Honestly I kinda see them doing that. It feels like STEAM is a title they really love and wish had done better, so maybe they'll try a second go, this time maybe with more marketing muscle.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Oddball

Smash Lord
Alright, I know it's been awhile, but I just had a crazy idea. Miitopia just got announced for Switch, right? What if this is the start of a new trend of 3DS ports to Switch? If that's the case, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. might get another chance.

I know it's too soon to say, but hey, it's a thought.
Games that have been dead longer and have had worse reputations have managed to get sequels, so why not?

Crazier things have happened.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just wanted to share that at least somebody is willing to acknowledge Henry:

Though to be frank, a bunch of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. characters count as obscure, especially the late game ones...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Looking back, it really is surreal that Henry not only got a spirit, but the fact that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. got an entire dedicated remix is just so heartwarming to me.

I'll always support Henry Fleming, no matter how low his odds are of becoming a Smash fighter in future games. If it's one thing I'll do, it's making sure to spread the good word of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. for future generations. One final salute to Henry before the newcomer speculation section closes for good.

O7

Top Bottom