• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Punch?

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Why do you think we haven't seen Mac's signature move at all?
Do you think we'll see it incorporated into his moveset somehow?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Star punch and KO punch are pretty much the same except for the fact that KO punch is better version.

Although some people are thinking that the charging fire fist is the star punch. (One used on Pit and Villager)

Last edited:

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Strictly speaking, they are quite different.
The KO Punch is from Super Punch Out. You filled the gauge by wailing on opponents and not getting hit.
The Star Punch is from Punch-Out and Punch Out Wii.
It's his signature move, and you could have up to Three Stars at a time.
You got a Star for doing what Mac does best: Countering, hitting an enemy when they are most vulnerable (i.e. taunting, stunned, coming out of a roll, after using a move with high ending-lag, etc.) and interrupting enemy attacks. Which is made that much easier by the Counter, and the tons of Super Armor he has. So it would make more sense that he had the Star System. Plus it looks much cooler and is much more iconic.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I thought the star upercut was his up B?

Isn't it?
I'm pretty sure that the star punch was a standard uppercut. The smash one has him spinning like in Wario's up special.
I've only seen videos of Punch-Out though, so I'm not positive.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm pretty sure that the star punch was a standard uppercut. The smash one has him spinning like in Wario's up special.
I've only seen videos of Punch-Out though, so I'm not positive.
well, he spins a little....

it's a lot more apparent if you knock someone out with it.

(even then he only spins like 0.75 times anyways)

even if he spins a lot more in smash, I'm guessing that was done to make it more flashy and appealing.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
well, he spins a little....

it's a lot more apparent if you knock someone out with it.

(even then he only spins like 0.75 times anyways)

even if he spins a lot more in smash, I'm guessing that was done to make it more flashy and appealing.
To me, the spinning makes it look like a completely different move. It seems like he is trying to do a rapid fire combo attack instead of one strong uppercut.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
To me, the spinning makes it look like a completely different move. It seems like he is trying to do a rapid fire combo attack instead of one strong uppercut.
.........um, do you know how boxing works?

you have to retract the arm and then extend it again for it to be multiple punches.

it's one punch, it's just it hits multiple times for whatever reason.

(also yeah, I know it might not be the star punch, I just thought it was.)

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
The Star Punch is similar to the KO Punch, but I personally prefer it.
Maybe it's because I have a grudge towards Super Punch Out (because the story revolves around Mac dying his hair and telling Doc Louis that he doesn't need him anymore as he goes off to pursue fame).
But the Star Punch is Mac's Signature Move.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
.........um, do you know how boxing works?

you have to retract the arm and then extend it again for it to be multiple punches.

it's one punch, it's just it hits multiple times for whatever reason.

(also yeah, I know it might not be the star punch, I just thought it was.)
I didn't say multiple punches. I said that it looks like he's trying to do a rapid fire combo, not rapid fire punches, which is different than one solid uppercut.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The Star Punch is similar to the KO Punch, but I personally prefer it.
Maybe it's because I have a grudge towards Super Punch Out (because the story revolves around Mac dying his hair and telling Doc Louis that he doesn't need him anymore as he goes off to pursue fame).
But the Star Punch is Mac's Signature Move.
You could actually argue KO Punch is more of a signature move then the Star Punch.

It's been in more games and the fact it was chosen here means Sakurai might think that it might be Little Mac's signature move over the Star Punch.

Games that the KO Punch was in: Punch Out Arcade, Super Punch Out Arcade, Super Punch Out SNES, Smash bros Brawl, and now Smash bros for Wii U and 3DS. Hell, it was even in a modified version of Super Punch Out for the commodore 64 called Frank Bruno's Boxing.

Games Star Punch was in: Punch Out NES and Punch Out Wii.

Last edited:

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
You could actually argue KO Punch is more of a signature move then the Star Punch.

It's been in more games and the fact it was chosen here means Sakurai might think that it might be Little Mac's signature move over the Star Punch.

Games that the KO Punch was in: Punch Out Arcade, Super Punch Out Arcade, Super Punch Out SNES, Smash bros Brawl, and now Smash bros for Wii U and 3DS. Hell, it was even in a modified version of Super Punch Out for the commodore 64 called Frank Bruno's Boxing.

Games Star Punch was in: Punch Out NES and Punch Out Wii.
I guess.
The most played games in the series were the three console ones though, in which two of the three included the Star Punch.
It's just weird that he's modeled after Punch Out Wii, but his signature moves from that game, the Stun Punch and Star Punch, are absent.

I know this doesn't mean much, but I have never seen a moveset in the Mac forums (before confirmation) with the KO Punch, nor without the Star Punch.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's his U-Smash, as we've learned that his Uppercut was his Up-Tilted Side Smash.
Also, his Up-Special looks like it's inspired by Dudley's Rocket Upper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom