• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Standard Approach: Charizard

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
ill toss a short-hopped nair, or a jumping flame thrower (angled down) in sometimes.

Peach Fuzz

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't approach with Fair at all. If you approach with it, most often you won't hit near your mouth, which means they won't be knocked back, and it's quite punishable. I approach with flamethrowers, rocksmashes, but most often, grabs. Either dash grab them, or run near them and fake them out, waiting for them to roll or something.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Sometimes is better to try to avoid aerial approaches at all with him. Just mix it up with the fair and rock smash from time to time(speciallr rock smash)... but to rely on it as a main aerial attack..ull get shieldgrabbed a lot. If u kow the opponent is aware of ur aerials...better work on baiting and spacing....waiting the best moment for a tilt or a grab...or even a well timed FT.

btw im also from panama!. see ya next month in the PGL tournie ;)

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I like baiting with Charizard much more than actually approaching, since Charizard's approaches are weak. But if you have to, I'd stick to Ftilt (Foxtrot in), Rock Smash, or Flamethrower (Especially if you can push them near the edge of the stage).

I like to bait by falling just out of range with an AC'd aerial, and then going into jabs or (If space permits) a tilt. At least, tat's my favorite way. =P

Fearmy

Smash Ace
hyphen smash, works very well, also the SS on charizards F-air, isn't it on top of the flame? I might be wrong

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Hyphen Smash is very predictable from far away, but if you're at about Ftilt range you might get them by surprise. I Hyphen Smash people off of platforms, too. If they shield it you can just Utilt, and that can lead into some sort of aerial, often Uair.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Hyphen Smash is very predictable from far away, but if you're at about Ftilt range you might get them by surprise. I Hyphen Smash people off of platforms, too. If they shield it you can just Utilt, and that can lead into some sort of aerial, often Uair.
you could throw in auto-cancelling

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Well i normally aproach with ftilt, that can make you lose a ko move for the stale move reduction, but its not like charizard cant handle it, he as a lot of most ko moves, and hyphen smash and running grab are very good for aproaching, but in conjunction, that way you get unpredictable and thats good for zard. Also, you can cancel your run pressing down and after that use dtilt, it kinda takes yopur oponent by surprise

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I don't even know how I approach a lot of the time. I think my most common are either dash attacks or Rock Smash, but I barely remember. This is also determined by exactly what stage it is (there is a different approach for Battlefield then FD)

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
FLamethrower the hell out of everything but serious I love fire and everyone seems to like to eat it. Jumping forward moving back so they can run right into flamethrower and sit there.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
If I'm not dash-shield-grabbing, short-hop flamethrowing, or mid-range hyphen smashing (love the comboability of that), one of things that I find myself doing from time to time is a b-air approach. I know the b-air's a highlight killing move for Charizard, but the strength in the sweet spot is enough that I don't mind trading a bit of power here and there for what's actually an effective approach, because his recovery on landing after even a short hop b-air really isn't bad, and since you don't always hit with the sweet spot, sometimes you can continue into some good combos. It feels safe and relatively effective.

I used to short-hop Rock Smash a lot, but now I only do it as a random measure because it's pretty predictable for a Charizard these days, and reflectors will simply PUNISH you with damage the way you're used to punishing them.

Top Bottom