• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stagnation

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
This really frigging sucks. I've been playing Smash for a long time. It's my fave fighting game ever. If I'm not playing Tetris Attack, I'm playing Smash bros, constantly trying to improve my skill. I play the most out of anyone here. Lately, I've been feeling like I haven't been improving at all. Everyone here(myself included) is average at best.

Like I said before, I play the most out of anyone here but no matter how much I try to improve, I never seem to improve. My friends and I are always neck and neck, and they don't play as much as I do! It's REALLY discouraging so I figured I' take some time off to improve my etris Attack game. At least I can feel myself improving when I play...

Is this the limit of my skill? Am I destined to be average at best? Has my pursuit for power/skill taken my heart out of the game? Whatev.. I need a hiatus.. Gotta get ready for Planet Puzzle League!! :D

~rh

Smash Lord
There are a couple solutions for this:

Go to some tournaments. Since many people over where you are are average, check out people of different styles. Go there, watch how they play, go home, incorporate it in your style, and voila!

Watch great players on YouTube. There are many amazing pros out there. If you can't get to any tournaments, go watch them play on YouTube. Depending on you use, there are many good people to watch and incorporate their style into yours.

And practice alot. not much here to say, cause it speaks for itself.

Good luck.

Light

Smash Journeyman
Everyone thinks differently, so don't stress it that constant practicing isn't making you better. Nearly none of my improvements have ever come from raw practice; improvement is about breaking down mental barriers. You've got to make the game your own - imatators never get first place.

I had a hard time understanding 1v1 fighting games when I was younger(and still do). You have the same generic tools as your opponent: a character and some buttons to mash; how is anyone supposed to get better than any other person? Improvement came when I became aware of how alike RTS and fighting games are. I've always been good RTS - understanding the movement of groups and the thoughts of the opponent come naturaly to me. It helped me to realize that single characters are really just a super compact group in the hands of a human. They hide their actions through movement, dash dancing; they are all about jossling for greater priority, combos; you can control them by controling what they see.

Find what you are good at in life and how you think, then apply it. Don't be stupid and try to walk through a wall, find a way around it.

Sometimes a break is the best thing, come back after you've cleared your system of the **** that is blinding you.

Smash Master
You will always be hindered by hand-eye coordination, (whcih you can improve slightly) reaction time, and other genetic traits. If these do not work in your favor, you are going to have a difficult time, although these can be compensated for.

poncho_mcshoe

Smash Apprentice
If you only play smash with your friends, and you're neck and neck, then you don't really need to improve. I'm a whole hell of a lot better at Soul Calibur than any of my friends, so I can't even play with them at all. Being great at it kind of ruins it for me cause I have nobody to play with.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Choose Falco, Learn SHL and how to shfflc a nair and there is no way any "average" player can have a chance against you.

From the wize~~ strider

Binx

Smash Master
Lol strider, anyways I think that constant practice traps you into a level of the game, because you are only practicing moves that you know and just incorporating it into your style and relying on "bad habbits." I play alot and my other friend plays alot against better players than I do, and my third friend almost never plays and we are semi equal, I notice that I play better after a 2 week rest where I only play once or twice a week rather than if I play every day. The biggest thing once you have gotten as far as can be gotten with your chosen characters tech skill is to just work on becoming patient and playing solid. Its just like poker dont put all your eggs in one basket for a risky move, make a smart bet, always challenge your opponent, dont let them make easy decisions. Force your opponent to react to you and counter them, I know this is vague but there are no combos in smash, only consecutive hits (except chain throws). I hope this helps, the most important thing in my eyes is practicing good tactics and being patient and observant, you would be surprised how bad people will mess up if you just run around and watch them swing for a little bit.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
The simple answer is to find people better then you - and figure out why they are when you play them (and hence what you can do to fix that). This is most likely to be found at a tournament if you don't have anyone local to smash who can consistently beat you.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, It's a shame when you get stuck in a situation like this. I'm kind of the same way right now. I've never played anyone better than me (which really says lot about my area), and I'm beating all the people I know. I'm totally DIEING to get destroyed, I'm actually looking for people who can beat me now, but I don't have the time and/or resources to go to tournaments.

But yeah, my advice would be to try and do what I can't: Go to tournaments, find people who are better than you. Always having someone better than you is a key component to getting better at this game.

(Heh, sorry to hijack your topic a little bit. I figured this is about the best place to post a mini rant, without making a new thread.)

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Everybody goes through their peaks and their down-times. It's completely normal. One day you'll start playing and realized that you're over the roadblock that was keeping you back just a while ago.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Explain pl0x?
I assume that what the original poster means by average smasher is the average skill of a person that knows about smashboards. SHL is effective against average people... who don't know much about smash, but SHL is an extremely basic advanced tech (oxymoron?).

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Choose Falco, Learn SHL and how to shfflc a nair and there is no way any "average" player can have a chance against you.

From the wize~~ strider
I'd rather stick with my ICs, Ness, Mario, GaW and YoungLink.

Anyways, I figured that I'l take a short little break from Smash. Step my Tetris attack game up. Hopefully, I'll come back improved.

Top Bottom