• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Spiking- use the edges to kill your opponents!

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Thanks to DK's newly improved recovery, this little maneuver is 100% possible.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the new Final Destination, and I'm sure that you've all accidentally gotten stuck right below that **** edge while attempting to recover once or twice. Lots of stages are like this. I've found that you can use that edge to your advantage.

Once your opponent gets to about 40%+, you can safely cargo your enemy for a few seconds. If you're close to the edge, simply cargo, and walk off. This leads to one of 2 possible outcomes:

1) Your opponent wrestles free while you fall, or
2) You both fall to your death.

The beautiful part is this; when your opponent gets free, which usually happens right when you start to fall, you can immediately UpB into the whirlwind, which knocks your opponent straight into the edge of the stage, and spiked into the ground.

Of course, you enemy won't always wiggle free at the moment you need them to. So, it's much more efficient to simply begin dropping off of the edge, and then throwing your opponent behind you. They won't go far, but a simple UpB will knock them straight into the curved edge of the stage, which spikes them down. One stock down.

If someone could get video confirmation of them doing this, that would be fantastic. I've done it countless times, so I know it works. I can only hope that I was descriptive enough.

EDIT: Changed the name to attract more attention :)

Wonder Tonic

Smash Rookie
Yea i tried it just now, seems pretty valid to me. Ban FD? lol. Whats even funnier is that you can footstool them and save an UpB to recover =P. However I'm still new to competative Smash so I can't really say how well it works.

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
You my friend are a genius this move takes alittle practice but it's works.I tryed it on fd.If there % iz high enuff.When u cargo them off the edge Throw them rite under the side of the stage.It's an auto ko if u do it rite.

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
You my friend are a genius this move takes alittle practice but it's works.I tryed it on fd.If there % iz high enuff.When u cargo them off the edge Throw them rite under the side of the stage.It's an auto ko if u do it rite.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
:D Thanks, good to hear that I'm not the only one who found this useful.

DK doesn't have a problem killing people with his immense power, but this technique is a 100% way to kill mid-percent enemies on edged stages.

J.L

Smash Ace
It is not only final destination this works on. Ive tried it on other stages too. I think the best stage to do this is Lylat cruise. It is instant kill, and dont need to be as precise, just throw them under the stage and get back. instant kill right there.

The stages that are not instant kill are battlefield smashville and yoshis. It will however put them in a VERY bad position and you can begin to edgeguard from there. Also depending on certain characters it is pretty much an instant ko or they've been thrown back too far down to recover.

This is also works on some parts of castle siege. This first part of it(the right side of the stage), and the 3rd part of the stage transitions.

Im also sure you can do this on corneria as well.

The best part of this whole stage spiking is that it works on pretty much all the legitimate stages for competitive play. There will be very little choices to stage counter pick donkey kong lol!

Also this has not been confirmed through playing actual players, but there may be a new way to spike your opponent with dk. It is cargo throw, walk off the stage into the water area( be it at delfino plaza or the toon link stage), where both of you start floating and struggling to get back up. Ive noticed that since dk hits the water first, he is always first to be able to jump out of the water while the opponent is still struggling. The instant you are able to jump, you do a dair and spike them into the waters. I have done this countless times against cpus, but it has not been fully confirmed until tested on human players. Try it out, you will be surprised =)

mikeQUESTIONMARK

Smash Rookie
I noticed for the water-spike, it wouldn't work at 40%, but worked at 60%. This is something I made sure to make a point of. I would really like to try this on some actual players, but I may not get the chance considering my Wifi Friend Roster doesn't like to sign on. But if I'm the first to get confirmation, I'll be sure to post it.

To the OP: Very good find! And to J.L, props on testing this on every stage!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
why bother relying on UpB to KO?
cargo....walk off stage..then just backwards-throw them into the level, once you're under beginning of the edge.
it will stage spike them (and u can make it back w/ a DJ and UpB)

mikeQUESTIONMARK

Smash Rookie
why bother relying on UpB to KO?
cargo....walk off stage..then just backwards-throw them into the level, once you're under beginning of the edge.
it will stage spike them (and u can make it back w/ a DJ and UpB)
Well, for one, some people might tech off of the wall, and if they do, you're hitting them with the Up-B just to make sure. And on some stages the kargo throw isn't an instant kill (Refer to J.L's post). The Up-B isn't something to rely on, but it's just the cement that seals their fate.

But of course, we're really just repeating what has already been discussed in this thread.

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
upon further playn with real people.i've realized this isn't a auto ko as i once thought .when u cargo throw them they are able 2 double jump 2 prevent the spiken.Then go in2 there upb.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
upon further playn with real people.i've realized this isn't a auto ko as i once thought .when u cargo throw them they are able 2 double jump 2 prevent the spiken.Then go in2 there upb.
They shouldn't be able to get back if you're edge-hogging, since the only way to possibly get back is UpB themselves.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
This strat is WIN as i got a kill on a Toon Link in a tourney with this recent tactics. I Cargo, walk off, he shakes and mashes Dair for his own doom. I live and win. YAY.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Try this.

As you shield someones ledge A recovery, Cargo, step off stage, Roll a 180* on the Analog and use Dtoss/Ftoss to throw them against the back wall. Even if they wall tech your invincibility on upB will own their upB.

Next time we're on-line Rell, We'll get it workin. =)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Assuming you are facing off the stage and just cargo'd someone's ledge attack, you rotate from forward-Down-Back. Than use the Cargo toss of your choice,

Forward walks DK off the stage,
Down fast falls for a monent,
Downback turn Dk facing the other way,
Back is where you execute the throw.

Woops, I meant 180 because the Dtoss & Ftoss are your best options for this out of cargo throw. NOT Utoss from cargo. I'll edit my earlier post. This works, as I just got 6 kills in 2 min FFA. Those players were so mad at me. LOL

kprime

Smash Rookie
hi, um could anyone post a video,
I've tried whatt you guys have described but they always live and i end up falling.
please and thanks

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Vids are a little difficult at the moment, so put me on your friend roster and I can show you online sometime.

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
Kle i wanna practice this with u.plus i would like 4 u 2 give me sum advice and tips on my dk.Let me no when u have free time so we can set this up.Appreciate it.

J.L

Smash Ace
i have replay vids of the stage spiking, so if anyone wants we could exchange wii codes, and ill send them to you. i also got bum vids =)

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
I dont no if its the brawl code or the wii it self so heres both Brawl:3652-0188-9666 wii:5429 3354-1557-4354. ill take them both JL appreciate it.I need your code 2 rite?

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
i've tried this on actual opponents and it seems to work well. i just make sure to grab them near the edge initially so that it doesn't take much time to get to that edge. kyle, nice strat with the 180 degree turning. it worked like a charm :D

Top Bottom