• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stage selecting/striking/counter picks

Vegan

Smash Rookie
searched but couldn't find a detailed answer. I've been to a handful of tournaments and one thing that plagues me (and a lot of other smashers) is what's the stage selecting process? I feel like a noob when I rock paper scissors someone and have no clue what I'm supposed to do after I win/lose. I've had several occasions where both me and the person I'm playing don't know what the process is so we just take turns picking or go random. of course I've asked players who know but it all goes in one ear and out the other.
basically i just want to know what happens after the rock paper scissors, after we play a match who picks next and what are the rules to that, counter pick? please explain.

stages are important for character matchups so I need to know! thanks!

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
In Melee, the neutral/starter stages are: Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams, and Yoshi's Story.

You rock, paper, scissors and then the winner of that decides who strikes first.

1st person strikes 1 stage.
2nd person strikes 2 stages
1st person strikes 1 stage

Last stage left is the stage you play on.

After game 1, the winner bans a stage. He can ban any of the 5 neutrals mentioned above or Pokemon Stadium.
The loser can then take him to any of the 5 remaining stages.
After the loser picks his stage, the winner can change his character, and then the loser can change his character, all in that order.

After game 2, the same thing happens.
There is also Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR) that you cannot choose to go back to the stage you won on earlier in a set.

With the limited number of stages and DSR together, there are no stage bans in best of 5 sets.

Hope that clarifies it for you dude

ZuryKTO

Smash Rookie
In Melee, the neutral/starter stages are: Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams, and Yoshi's Story.

You rock, paper, scissors and then the winner of that decides who strikes first.

1st person strikes 1 stage.
2nd person strikes 2 stages
1st person strikes 1 stage

Last stage left is the stage you play on.

After game 1, the winner bans a stage. He can ban any of the 5 neutrals mentioned above or Pokemon Stadium.
The loser can then take him to any of the 5 remaining stages.
After the loser picks his stage, the winner can change his character, and then the loser can change his character, all in that order.

After game 2, the same thing happens.
There is also Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR) that you cannot choose to go back to the stage you won on earlier in a set.

With the limited number of stages and DSR together, there are no stage bans in best of 5 sets.

Hope that clarifies it for you dude
Wow i dont know that usefull informatio i gonna play my first tournament and i no have idea what is a counter pick thnx dude

Top Bottom