• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Select! - Stage Discussion Thread

Rucent

Only strive for first place.

Welcome to Stage Select!
Quite similarly to the "Sonic & The Book of Match Ups" thread in regards of discussion, we will be discussing the following here:

The Pros & Cons of each Stage
How Sonic fares in each Stage

What stages to prioritize choosing/striking in a given match up
My hope for this thread is to organize information of the three above mentioned goals here.
Every stage in this game is very important to consider when going against an opponent.
Some stages may be a character's worst nightmare against Sonic, or what they want most.

CURRENT DISCUSSION

Smashville

[Discussion Link]

Useful Threads About Stages

The Big Map: The Stage Directory
Wii U Stage Blastzone Data

Last edited:

Rucent

Keep in mind that you do not have to follow the strategies present below. Any match up can be played on any stage and garner the same victory result as long as you are familiar and comfortable with it.

Stage | Pros & Counterpick | Cons & Strike
|SDJ and ISDJ are useful to catch people on the platform as it moves offstage. Platform can help mix up recovery and landing while making movement more dynamic. The platform is also helpful for camping. Up Smash & Up Tilt can hit through the platform. Up Throw > Spring > Up Air can kill on the platform, although its moving nature makes it more susceptible to DI. The stage is thin enough for Sonic to ASC under it and recover on the other side of the stage. | The platform doesn't help Sonic extend combos to the extent that others can such as Sheik. Sonic's movement potential is weakened due to the stage's small size. Characters with chargeable specials can camp on the platform fairly easily. Platform helps opponents with weaker recoveries recover.
|:4zss::4corrinf::4fox:|:4sheik:
|No platforms emphasizes the ground game more, an area Sonic excels at. Slanted walls are good for Sonic's wall jump, as it mostly sends him at an angle. An amazing pick against characters with slow movement speeds, horrible/laggy approaches, and poor grounded/landing options. We can traverse under the stage and make it to the other side. Gaining the lead may shift the advantage further than other stages in Sonic's favor due to the reasons above.| Projectile characters control space better here and Sonic's approach becomes more linear. Characters with good anti-air/landing attacks can take advantage of Sonic's poor landing options more effectively. Losing the lead may shift the advantage further than other stages in the opponent's favor due to the reasons above.
|:4zss:|:4sheik::4diddy::4fox:
| We gain incredible movement potential with platforms. Thin ledges make down angled Forward Smash a bit more reliable. Up Throw Spring Uair can kill on the platforms, but do note the window is smaller on the lower platforms than the top platform. The platform also helps us with landing, while giving us sharking capabilities. We can traverse under the stage and make it to the other side. | Big blast zones hurt Sonic's late % killing. Platforms help other characters extend combos much more than Sonic. The platform arrangement also helps characters with disjoints/range space and pressure more safely.
|:4sheik:|:4corrinf::4mario::4bayonetta:
| The transformations on these stages contain elements from Smashville, Final Destination, and Battlefield, allowing Sonic to to change play styles and mix up constantly. The low ceiling can be a burden, but at the same time helps Sonic secure earlier vertical kills. | Some characters can utilize the platforms to force approaches or charge specials. Some characters benefit from the low ceiling more than Sonic. Some characters may be able to platform pressure and gain additional follow ups better than Sonic.
|[Characters to pick this stage against TBL]|:4zss:
| Sonic's grounded options are not affected by the tilting. The platform layout allows us create more pressure from sharking. Platform can help mix up recovery and landing while making movement more dynamic. The tilting can harm enemy projectile usage. | The area in which we can wall jump is small, so recoveries have to be a bit more precise. Projectiles can cover more of the stage based on the tilting of the stage. Characters with range or good sharking abilities can cover landing spots easily.
|:4sheik::4zss:|:4corrinf::4bayonetta:
|Up Throw Spring Uair can kill on the platforms really early. The platform also helps us with landing, while giving us sharking/camping capabilities. Unlike Battlefield the platforms are further away from the ground and each other, the stage size is minuscule, there's wispy, and the ground has properties that negate jab locks.|Sonic's opponents can kill on the top earlier. The platform arrangement also helps characters with disjoints/range space and pressure more safely.
|[Characters to pick this stage against TBL]|:4zss::4corrinf::4mario::4bayonetta:

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Hmmm. The platform is cool to use for movement, recoveries, and combo extenders. But personally I feel like this stage does us no justice. I feel cramped here and I feel like opponents Sheik and Rosa can trap us in the corners. Good stuff by the way on making this thread! Rucent Rucent

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
Pros
  • SDJ and ISDJ are useful to catch people on the platform as it moves offstage.
  • Platform can help mix up recovery.
  • The stage is thin enough for us to ASC under it and recover on the other side of the stage.
  • Uthrow spring uair can kill on the platform, although its moving nature makes it more susceptible to DI.
  • Usmash can hit through the platform.
  • Platform helps landing.
Cons
  • The platform doesn't help Sonic extend combos to the extent that others can such as Sheik.
  • Small space makes it hard to exploit our movement.
  • Characters with chargeable specials can camp on the platform fairly easily. The worst case being Cloud's limit.
  • Although the platform helps mixing up recovery, Sonic's recovery is already good to begin with. As a result the platform benefits characters with bad recoveries more than it benefits Sonic's mix ups.

Sonic gets some nice benefits on this stage, although his opponent usually will get some as well, making this a neutral pick in most mus.

I personally quite like this stage and will usually go to it if FD and DH aren't available. The only mu where I would definitely strike it is in the Cloud mu because the platform helps his weaknesses as a character (poor recovery and lack of kill throw) and it also makes his limit camping harder to deal with. You may also consider banning this stage if your opponent uses a character with good stage control tools such as Rosa or ROB.

Also big shoutout to Rucent Rucent for his work on the Book of Match Ups thread, Youtube series and now this thread. Its great that you're providing all these excellent resources for new and experienced Sonic players alike :).

SageLynch

Smash Rookie
Mhe.. Smashville isnt too bad for Sonic but it is not even on your side (+0) : Usally if im the first one to choose i always ban Battlefields (if i need platforms,for example vs Ness or Link, i prefer Dreamland ) ; you have FD banned for sure and Town and City if your opponent cant camp on platforms and is slow (like Bowser) or Dreamland if he wants to spam . At this point i always have to choose between Town and city/Dreamland or SmashVille and most of the times i go on Smashville becouse the other stages are less neutral and you still dont know your opponent play style. So i would reccomend Smashville as first choice but at the second or third round i think smashvile isnt the best option since you have DH and Laylat (super good vs spammers like Link or Rob) ; also your opponent can ban only one stage ( FD for sure) so there is no reason at all to pick up Smashville (Sorry for my english , i hope its understandable)

SonicBOOM XS

Smash Apprentice
The platform helping characters with poor recoveries such as Cloud and Corrin make it back when they otherwise would not have ticks me off a bit.

One thing that this stage allows us to do is up air people standing near the ledge, so it could be a good way to deter them or at least shark safely.

Rucent

What I like about Smashville (and even better, Town & City) is how the platforms extend past the stage itself. This offers quite a bit when it comes to recovery, and although Sonic's recovery is good, this is still a nice extra option that we gain. This also helps opponents with weaker recoveries out, as stated above.
One thing I want to focus on is how these platforms help us in one situation of the :rosalina: MU. Whenever Rosalina & Luma rapid Jab by the ledge, instead of waiting for an opportunity to get up or Spin Charging to the other side of the stage, we now have the option to wait for the platform to extend across the stage, and retreat to that.

Another thing throughout all match ups that I like about the platforms (again, Town & City does this better) is how we can easily and quickly land on these platforms after a Spin Dash Jump, allowing us to use shield again.
Suppose we go against :4fox: or :4cloud2:, characters who love having Sonic above them. Most of the time, whenever a Sonic player confirms Spin Dash or Charge on the opponent's shield, they Spin Dash Jump. These two along with other characters are able to punish this with an Uair or Bair. If we're able to land on these platforms, then our shield beats these options. The only thing we really have to worry about is if they decide to jump on the platform to grab or if they use a command grab.

The last thing about the platform extension in this stage (again, Town & City is good for this too..) is that whenever we get the lead, we can camp on the platform. This can be a risky deal, as we're closer to the blast zone thus increasing the chances of dying earlier than usual. However, our opponent has to jump after us if they want to go for that, and the tables can turn from there as we have the ability to shield and they don't.
The problem with this is that other characters can exploit this if they have the lead, particularly:4cloud2:,:4wario:, :4lucario:, and :4sheik:who can use it to charge their best specials (Limit, Fart, Aura Sphere, Needles). There's other characters that can take advantage of this, like :4kirby:and :rosalina:, who want to have that lead to force Sonic to approach rather than have them approach themselves.

Overall, I believe this stage is good for Sonic, granted I believe that is the case for every character in the game. I usually prefer Town & City over this stage for the reasons above.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
Final Destination's problems for Sonic lie in its simplicity.
Its effectively Smashville without a platform.
A stage with no platforms can limit some characters who benefit from or rely on platforms more heavily than Sonic, but at the same time, it can also benefit characters in how they can handle Sonic's approaches and actions - which tend to become much more linear and telegraphed here.
In my experience, matches on FD(and similar Omega stages) tend to be in Sonic's favor when played patiently.
Otherwise, this stage holds no real benefits or detriments for Sonic.

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
I like FD as long as I'm not playing against a character like ROB, Megaman, Samus or anyone else who has good tools to shut down sonic's linear approach options there. Sonic does well enough with platforms that it's better to go somewhere else rather than deal with that.

When not playing against that type of character this stage is great for Sonic. The ceiling is effectively high since there are no platforms which makes it a good pick against characters who primarily kill vertically (not a big deal for Sonic since he has fsmash, bair and bthrow). Also having no platforms can be good since although Sonic can work pretty well with them, many other top tiers (such as Mario, Cloud, ZSS, Fox and others) do much better with them.

Last edited:

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
Pros
  • No platforms emphasises the ground game more, an area Sonic excels at.
  • Slanted walls are good for Sonic's wall jump, as it mostly sends him at an angle.
Cons
  • Projectile characters control space better here, Sonic's approach becomes more linear.
Misc
  • Lack of platforms hurts Sonic's landing options, but also means he isn't subject to platform pressure.
This is one of Sonic's better stages. The emphasis on the ground game here is extremely beneficial for Sonic, especially in MUs where other characters benefit more from platforms such as ZSS or Mario.

The stage is a bit more questionable against projectile characters, since the lack of platforms means Sonic can struggle to get around them. In situations like this one should consider how well the projectile character does with platforms before striking, as some like ROB have efficient projectiles and benefit from platforms, whereas Duck Hunt doesn't benefit from platforms much, meaning I'd pick FD against the former but not the latter. Perception is your best friend.

Overall, I usually go to this stage whenever possible, since Sonic relies on platforms much less than others, making the stage pick in his favour. However, I strongly suggest second guessing yourself if you're fighting a projectile character.

Rucent

Final Destination! A stage that emphasizes on grounded battles and juggling situations.

For Sonic's case, this stage can be very hit or miss. Choosing it depends on the following:
  • Do you want to avoid the complications created because of platforms and gimmicks?
The biggest thing to note about this is that the lack of platforms removes potential landing mix ups, approach mix ups, and camping pressure. Sonic can still work well without platforms, but he becomes a bit more linear, something that the opponent wants us to become.

Characters who benefit more from stage's simplicity:

:4littlemac:: He can focus on a grounded game with no worries of being platform camped.
:4bayonetta:: Dive Kick becomes more useful as an approach tool because Sonic can't hide under platforms.
:4mewtwo::4lucario::4megaman::4sheik::4tlink::4rob::4samus:: Zoning tools become more problematic for Sonic, especially during landing phase.
:4cloud2::rosalina::4falcon::4zss::4fox:: Up Airs and Up Smashes become more harder to escape during landing phase.

Characters who benefit less from stage's simplicity:
:4corrinf:: The lack of platforms (and especially moving ones) weaken Dragon Lunge's movement potential.
:4pikachu:: Lack of platforms and gimmicks decreases Quick Attack Cancel usage to the ledge.
:4robinm:: Loses area trapping/coverage due to no platforms.
:4dk:: Ding Dong is weakened.
  • Is the opponent's approach game weak? Are they slow?
Although mentioned above indirectly, characters who are susceptible to being juggled tend to dislike this stage, especially against those with good juggling tools. Sonic's movement speed and his Up Air allow him to chase falling foes and juggle them with ease. Characters who are slow tend to have a harder time chasing their falling opponent, thus making potentially extra damage harder to get. Not only that, if Sonic gains the lead and plays campy, then some characters don't have a good or safe answer to that.
Characters susceptible to this::4robinm::4dk::4ganondorf::4dedede::4bowser::4corrin::4ness:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
This is a great thread initiative. Thanks, Rucent!

If things go well, I'd consider stickying this over the "Original Character" thread since I feel it hasn't contributed as much as I had initially hoped for.

:093:

Rucent

This is a great thread initiative. Thanks, Rucent!

If things go well, I'd consider stickying this over the "Original Character" thread since I feel it hasn't contributed as much as I had initially hoped for.

I was lurking in a lot of different character forums and noticed they had something like this. Thought it would be helpful if we had a source like this!

I also ask people all the time about stages because that is always where my mind usually draws a blank and I have to go on a huge research session. Getting much better at it though.

Rip OC thread ;n;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'm now starting conversations on the next stage! Battlefield!

"Battlefield: Stage Research" Thread

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Rip OC thread ;n;
Maybe. We'll see.

Yeah, Ixis is dope. One of the few fellow Sonics who likes BF as much as I do... Possibly more.

Platforms are great for Sonic. Don't believe the narrative. I almost never take people to FD anymore.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
Maybe. We'll see.

Yeah, Ixis is dope. One of the few fellow Sonics who likes BF as much as I do... Possibly more.

Platforms are great for Sonic. Don't believe the narrative. I almost never take people to FD anymore.

Same here. They either ban it for me or I ban it lol.

PeliPenguin

Smash Cadet
NNID
peligod2
Pros
  • Incredible movement potential with platforms.
  • Thin ledges make down angled fsmash a bit more reliable.
  • Uthrow Spring Uair can kill on the platforms, but do note the window is smaller on the lower platforms than the top platform.
  • Platforms help landing.
Cons
  • Big blastzones hurt Sonic's late % killing. The worst case is DDD living uthrow until over 230%.
  • Platforms help other character's extend combos. Sonic can do this too, but characters like ZSS or Fox generally outclass him in this regard.
I used to avoid this stage whenever possible, but playing on it more and watching Ixis has convinced me this is generally a good stage for Sonic. The platforms open up many opportunities when it comes to movement, whilst also helping Sonic land. However, when it comes to MUs a lot of the better characters in this game also gain amazing benefits here, prominent examples being Fox and Cloud. I personally prefer FD/DH but there is no doubt in my mind that objectively this is an excellent stage for Sonic, although always keep in mind how much your opponent's character likes BF too.

Additionally, if you have the option of choosing between DL or BF I think BF is a better pick because the high ceiling makes platform combos from Mario/ZSS less threatening.

Rucent

I used to see Battlefield as my favorite stage to go to before Town & City took its place.
Battlefield promotes more movement/aggressive play because of it's platform layout and how compact they are.

For me, I ask the following questions when deciding to choose this stage:
  • Does my opponent have the range to poke me through the platforms from below?
One of the benefits, as PeliPenguin PeliPenguin stated is that the platforms help our landing.
This is especially true when going against characters like :4mario:, :4drmario:, :4luigi:, :4fox:,:4gaw:, and :4tlink: whose Up Smashes can't clip through the lower platforms . However, this doesn't mean that they don't have potent aerials to use here, and they can use Up Smash if they are on the platforms.

Also, characters like :4cloud2:, :4bayonetta:, :4littlemac:, :4link:, :4robinf:, :4yoshi:, :4megaman: have range/disjoints that can pressure these spots safely.

Most notably, the platform arrangement helps :4marth:tremendously when confirming a tipper hit box.
And for :4corrin:, they can utilize Dragon Pin on the platforms to stronger movement and zoning.

• How aggressive can my opponent be in the air?
Remember when I mentioned aerials? The pressure that aerials give on this stage are enhanced because of the opponent's positioning when on them. Sharking is more common to see on this stage because of it. This is applicable to other stages.

The ability for you to pressure safely becomes more likely. This also applies to your opponents.

Characters like :4zss:,:4mario:,:4fox:, :4marth:, and :4diddy: can take advantage of this a lot more than Sonic can. All characters can extend combos and strings using the platforms, however these select few gain a lot more.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I'm not an expert on Sonic or how stages work for him, but I'll do my best here. Please note, if my notes seem misinformed or shortsighted, I would greatly appreciate it if others who have more knowledge on stages for Sonic than I do helped me out. Anyway, here I go:

Duck Hunt is an interesting stage. Since Sonic's kill power is solid overall, he shouldn't have too much time killing characters. Since Duck Hunt has pretty short horizontal blast zones, I find it easier to kill someone from off the side, though the top isn't that much bigger. I'd often like to think Duck Hunt is a cross between FD's simplicity, with a platform that comes into play like Smashville or Town and City (in DH's case, the tree to the far left of the stage). I'm not sure how much or how little Sonic benefits from the tree, but something tells me that he doesn't benefit from it the same way characters like :4kirby: and :4charizard: do, having extremely strong U-Throws, especially when platforms come into play. Because the tree is so high up, Sonic could potentially lose a stock earlier than one might anticipate. I imagine since the blast zones aren't too big on this stage, Sonic's Spring to U-Air kill setup is probably a lot more beneficial on this stage. I also imagine zoner characters like :4megaman: not struggling too much against Sonic because of how flat most of the stage is. I'm not sure how much the dog can be used to help out, but I have a feeling that it won't help too much, or maybe it does when it comes to the Spring to U-Air kill setup. You see what I mean when it comes to my notes feeling misinformed and shortsighted?

As Sytal Sytal put it himself,
A stage with no platforms can limit some characters who benefit from or rely on platforms more heavily than Sonic, but at the same time, it can also benefit characters in how they can handle Sonic's approaches and actions - which tend to become much more linear and telegraphed here.
He also mentioned that playing patiently on FD or any flat stage will help Sonic in the long run, so I recommend being patient for stages like DH. Overall, while I think Sonic does benefit from the smaller blast zones, it's not like he benefits from it too much.

-6WX-

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wes6WX
3DS FC
5198-2711-1346
Duck Hunt is a great stage for abusing your superior mobility and let's you easily control space against slower, close-range fighters (like :4mario:). However, it may backfire against zoners who can easily poke and run away from you because of their superior disjoints or projectiles (:4cloud:, :4megaman:, maybe even :rosalina:). Not to say you cannot win against those characters still on DH, but when you're Sonic and YOU get timed out on Duck Hunt by PALUTENA, you start to think about some things.

Just avoid this stage when your opponent may have an easier time keeping you out and still poke at you well enough to steal the lead. Also, beware tree shenanigans (:4metaknight:/:4kirby:/:4charizard: up throw, :4zss: up airs > upB, :rosalina: up air, etc.)

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Duck Hunt should be renamed Duck Hunt Zone Act 2 tbh.

The most infamous counterpick.

Rucent

Next stage! Town & City!

"Town & City: Stage Research" Thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my thoughts on the stage:
  • Stage Arrangement: Let's talk about the transformations in Town & City.
Town | City | Moving
|
|
The "Town" transformation has two side platforms and a center platform that moves up and down.

The side platforms can do the following for Sonic:

• Allow Sonic to immediately land & act out of a SDJ and VSDJ.
  • Allow Sonic to pressure the opponent from below with aerials.
  • Allow Sonic the ability to punish high recoveries with ground-based attacks.
  • Allow Sonic to have more landing/retreat/mobility/camping options.
These attributes allow Sonic to create and relieve pressure at a better rate, more so than Smashville could.

The middle platform shifts upward and downward at a static speed. At the lowest point, we can utilize Up Smash to clip through the platform, while using aerials from underneath to create more pressure when it's higher. Do know that some characters can take advantage of this platform's height to get better mileage off punishments.

The "City" transformation has two platforms that move side to side. The platforms here also have the same addons that the "Town" side platforms have, except for the following:
  • SDJ & VSDJ landings are not as immediate as "Town's" side platforms because they are of lower height.
  • The platforms extend offstage more so than the "Town's" side platforms, meaning more camp power.
  • In the case we go for Up Throw > Spring > Uair on these platforms, the direction the platform is going and the opponent's DI can make the combo easier or harder to confirm.

The "Moving" segment lasts for 10 seconds, and acts as a temporary Final Destination. As mentioned in the discussion for that stage, Sonic can take advantage of this layout to force approaches and play a platform-less neutral. This is great against slow opponents and opponents with poor approaching capabilities.

Both the "Town" & "City" segments both last 30 seconds each. You can safely say that Town & City is pretty much a better Smashville from all this. The platforms move sideways off screen when the stage transforms. Anyone on the platforms at this time can be carried away and killed. It is also good to point out that the ceiling for this stage is relatively shorter height than other stages, while possessing a wider width than Smashville. Platforms also help bring the characters closer to these blast zones. I don't find the blastzone area to be enough of a factor to consider striking it against most match ups, however I would prefer playing this stage 90% of the time if it's available. I feel like this is Sonic's best stage and if not Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
When Duck Hunt is banned, pick T&C.

When T&C is banned, pick Duck Hunt.

SageLynch

Smash Rookie
i hate this stage... it forces me to play aggresive versus most of the cast , and i think its bad for Sonic to rely only on one playstyle. Laylat's offstage is awful for Sonic and enemies with a good ledge guard can easly take early stocks. However, it can be useful versus characters like :4megaman: , :4link: or :4rob: , since i like to play super aggresive with them and the stage inclination can denie a lot of projectiles.

Rucent

Lylat Cruise is a stage that many players like to avoid, mostly because they aren't comfortable with the tilting mechanic on the stage. For those who feel this way, please play on the stage more. It's not bad for Sonic, and the tilting mechanics has hidden pros that people tend to ignore.

Let's talk about possible characters that benefit very from this stage first.

:4pikachu:: Can Quick Attack Cancel everywhere due to the slants/tilting of the stage.
:4bayonetta:: Gains massive coverage of the stage with Bullet Arts. Heel Slide goes along the platforms. Witch Twist covers more ledge.
:4littlemac:: Low platforms allows for easy Up Smash coverage.

[Will List More Later]

Now, let's talk about benefits that we gain.

• The tilting doesn't effect our ground game. We like to stay grounded where we can shield.
  • We aren't (and shouldn't) be afraid when offstage because of our great recovery.
  • Sharking capabilities with Uair, Bair, and Up Smash.
Now, for potential cons.
  • Because the platforms are so small and so close to the ground, opponents and cover these easily during advantage.
  • We can get Lylat'ed. However the chances of this is very slim.
Although not the best choice in Sonic's stage picking, it isn't a bad stage for Sonic. I highly stress those who are uncomfortable with the stage to practice there until you are comfortable.

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
So, sonic on lylat.

This is a stage I feel is VERY good for Sonic for a multitude of reasons.

1) Movement.

Now, movement on lylat is a little weird but we can use one of our least used techs (Hoping around with a spindash charge) to a huge advantage on this stage namely avoiding and punishing projectiles with ease, as shown here.)

https://j.gifs.com/M8z333.gif

2) Recovery.

Ok seriously, Sonic should never get lylated...ever. Spinshot to the ledge is usually enough to recover anyway.

3) Low blastzones (204 vertical (average) 188 horizontal (really small)).

This CAN come to bite you in the ass because lol landing options, but I feel the pros easily outweigh the cons, especially with how often Sonic can get a opponent to the top and side of the stage.

4) Tilting.

Now tilting has its ups and downs yes, but if you are spindashing on a slope your momentum is carried with it, making you either roll faster (downwards) or slower (upwards). This can help you get the better of an opponent with baits or ensure a better punish. Im not sure but I THINK the same works for running too.

(This is as much as I can add just now, ill try and reformat etc later. ._.; )

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Ugh! This stage! I typically avoid it due to my perceived cons outweighing the pros. However from what I've read so far I may have been wrong about this stage.

Some cons are the tilts that can mess up Spin Dash and hurt our recovery. The tilts can also give various characters strengths (which have already been listed above) including possible "buffs" to their recoveries. Another personal problem I have with this stage is the lack of platform safety it provides after I Spin Dash into a shield. We can get sharked easily by opponents.

This awful-- I mean great stage (kappa) is not without its pros however. Pros include: Aided recoveries, speedy spin dashes, great platform pressure along with a buff to our already excellent sharking ability! We can also wall jump, but it's in a weird spot.

One last thing I find interesting about this stage is what we can do with our Homing Attack. Depending on the opponents position, our homing attack can hit the bottom of the stage. Although it's janky and kind of it puts us in an awkward position, I personally like it because it doesn't put us directly in harms way and because of the possibility of it throwing off our opponents timing. If we save our jump we can use it and then spring to the ledge or past it. And if we don't have it we can just spring to the ledge!

Last edited:

TaleOfTheToaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
TaleOfTheToaster
I'll pick it whenever I can. The clutch up air kills are just too tempting to ignore. Obviously there are characters who can gain an even bigger advantage on the same stage, such as Cloud or Fox, but I find them to be losing matchups anyway so I'd probably still risk it.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Bowjr can eject under a platform and it'll hit above it surprisingly, and the high platform helps ledge cancel the move safely. Sadly the wind will blow our mecha Koopas off the stage /platform so that's not fun.

Sytal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sytal
There's a nostalgia trip.
Dreamland 64 is, in function, another battlefield. But the differences are notable enough to distinguish it from battlefield.
As for personal experience, however, I have little. So I can only offer a few of the more obvious aspects of the stage.
- Whispy will periodically create a wind box that covers the stage. This won't affect Sonic too much, but some character's have moves or movements that benefit from the wind boost. It can also throw off a recovery in some cases.
Particularly...
- Getting killed by the stage. The wind box is irksome at best, but with it, it can be easy to fall into a bad position and then get stuck under the stage while recovering. The best way I've found to avoid this is to not rush the recovery.
Sonic has enough vertical distance with the spring, so avoid spinshooting if you are too low to the stage; you might go under it on accident.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
We should get Seagull's information on Lylat. He's a beast on that stage.

Always ban it against Pika and Kirby though.

DL64 is one of our cheesiest stages since we can Uthrow > Spring > Uair for a true death combo on the top platform starting as early as 30%. It's like Battlefield with extra cheese. Just avoid getting Pineapple'd when recovering low since our recovery is so vertical. The wind doesn't mess us up too much either.

Rucent

Seagull Joe Seagull Joe I would love to hear your thoughts on Lylat!

[EDIT]: Camalange Camalange banning Kirby on Lylat?

DL64 is a stage that I usually don't feel all that comfortable with, especially during disadvantage sequences.

Comparing to Battlefield, the platforms are a little higher, and less condensed. This relieves some sharking pressure from below, but if we were to drop off of these platforms, we would be suspended in the air for a slightly longer time. This means that there is a bigger gap in which we would not be able to use shield/defensive tactics during the trip back to neutral.

The wind doesn't effect us much at all, but there are characters who do keep the wind in mind when on the move. :4diddy:is one of these characters due to flip kick.

Pineapples can happen, but can easily be avoided if you plan on doing low recoveries.

I feel like characters with good aerial cancels from around the lower platform height benefit from this stage a lot more than Battlefield. That and characters who get most of their kills vertically. Otherwise it feels like a less aggressive battlefield.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Lylat is great for :4sonic: because of the layout and small sides. It's bad vs like :4bayonetta: cus she can shark with bullet arts, but otherwise I like it in most matchups.

:018:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
[EDIT]: Camalange Camalange banning Kirby on Lylat?
The only advantage we have is that there's a weird glitch that causes Kirby's UpB to miss grabbing the ledge.

Outside of that though, he can duck on the weird slants which makes him harder to hit.
Lylat is great for :4sonic: because of the layout and small sides. It's bad vs like :4bayonetta: cus she can shark with bullet arts, but otherwise I like it in most matchups.

:018:
How about versus Cloud? I know it's a good stage for Cloud stage control wise (not so much ledge wise).

Top Bottom