• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage positioning questions

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing puff since January 2014. And I have a few questions regarding stage positioning.
I'd really appreciate some serious answers, I feel I've hit a block on this part of my game.

1.Against certain characters, what are some of the area's of the stage I want to control? Where should I be trying to push my opponent?

2.After taking a stock, where do I want to place myself on the stage? What do I need to focus on when coming back on stage?

3.What are the best ways to utilize my airspeed when playing a retreating/chasing game against my opponent?

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
1.Against certain characters, what are some of the area's of the stage I want to control? Where should I be trying to push my opponent?
Generally you should be trying to push everyone towards the edge. No character had an advantage over puff there and you can gimp basically everyone.

Your goal should be to force opponents offstage so you can exploit your advantages there. The ledge should be your natural habitat.

More specific knowledge:

Against spacies you need to control the area diagonally above them (stuff their jumps OOS and otherwise) and platforms. Without those 2 things spacies are left with substantially limited options. Try not to cross them up or stay directly above them for very long, they can convert those situations into punishes against you. Also, dont land with an aerial out vs Fox. You WILL get grabbed.

Against Marth you want to stay in the area just outside sword range and bait laggy attacks with spacing and feints. Wavedash OOS is your bread and butter in this matchup. You can also duck jump cancelled grabs and trade gimp his recovery pretty easily. Marth is very fragile off stage and can't do much to puff out there, so chase him and follow up when he's trying to recover.

Against Sheik, stay out of the downward angle from her airborne approach. Needles convert to possibly the only safe grabs vs puff.
Take the ledge when sheik is recovering. She has a laggy recovery when she lands on stage that is really punishable.
Try to recover high so sheik can't hit you with drop> jump> bair.
Duck a lot, a missed JC grab is a free rest.
Weave Nairs in frequently too, they are very safe in this match.

Against Falcon, stay out of the area diagonally above him, it is uair/knee range and incredibly dangerous. Try to stuff his jumps before he gets Nairs or dairs out. You want to stay low, but airborne. Duck grabs whenever possible and try very hard to not get grabbed at all, a good falcon is guaranteed a knee after a dthrow if he reacts to your DI correctly.
Don't land with an aerial out, dashdancing falcons can exploit your landing lag and grab.
Take the ledge when he's offstage and try to gimp if at all possible. Falcon's recovery isn't as fragile as Marth's, but it is definitely exploitable too (long landing lag, predictable path).

2.After taking a stock, where do I want to place myself on the stage? What do I need to focus on when coming back on stage?
If you want to be safe take the ledge after taking a stock. It starts the stock with you in a very safe defensive position and nobody wants to mess with a puff on a ledge, even during invincibility.

When recovering, recover high, as a general rule. You can maintain altitude easily with pound and nobody will be able to intercept. Landing is another story, but don't be afraid to mix in an airdodge or aerial to land safely.

3.What are the best ways to utilize my airspeed when playing a retreating/chasing game against my opponent?
Stay airborne as much as possible, filling most of your jumps with attacks or threats of attacks. Weave in and out of your opponents range, baiting attacks or stuffing them before they happen. Land with autocancelled nair, waveland, or ledge cancel onto more jumps. Stay mobile and dont commit to a risky attack.

There is more stuff to learn, for sure. A lot of it comes from experience though. Good luck.

Last edited:

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Really noob question, but you say bread and butter against Marth is WD out of shield. I don't understand this since I'd have thought you want to remain in the air and then bait -> punish with an aerial into a combo or something

Massive

Smash Champion
Really noob question, but you say bread and butter against Marth is WD out of shield. I don't understand this since I'd have thought you want to remain in the air and then bait -> punish with an aerial into a combo or something
Not a noob question at all, actually.

Marth has a strong, fast aerial game assuming there is stage below him to support his movement. His fair and Nair approaches are very safe if spaced properly and can be a big problem if you're not used to them.

You can approach using aerials at lower percents because you will be relatively safe. But since Marth has a terrible time killing puff with aerials, any Marth worth their salt is going to try to fsmash you at mid % or utilt you at higher % for the KO.

This is where Wavedash OOS comes in. Marth's fsmash (and utiltis NOT safe on shield, you can jump out and aerial or Wavedash in and grab or even rest depending on your spacing/ballsiness levels.

Top Bottom