• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Picking Information Discussion

Which of these stages do think should be added for legal tourney play for balance?

• Brinstar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cornieria

• Jungle Japes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mushroom Kingdom

• Mute City

• Princess Peach's Castle

• Kongo Jungle 64

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Yoshi's Island 64

• Total voters

tsulz

Smash Rookie
Hello there! This is an intro paragraph skip to next paragraph if not interested. I'm tsulz, I recently started watching melee over the past year and took an interest in it, as I have a huge interest in skill based games and their intricacies. As I've started to play a few characters, I began to watch melee more and more looking into advanced techs, etc. I came to a point where I noticed casters would start talking about how X character counters Y character on Z map (ha! algebraic!). And now I wondered, why?

My main method of learning the game is through browsing google, youtube, and this site. Yet I can find nearly no information on it that is to the point/concise and has good validity. The point of this post is to gather VALID information/opinions so that people who are interested in this seemingly neglected topic, or maybe its just more hidden in the internet than I realize and no one wants to talk about it. To those of you who DO want to talk about it, I mostly want to know matchups of the character archetype (I believe individual would take a lot of discussion) advantages on the tournament legal stages, though any stage based information is welcomed. After I start understanding this more, I would like to compile it and so people don't have to scroll through the comment section.

If I'm an idiot and missed this discussion being posted elsewhere plz tell me how to find :/

Props to dude it's raining for being a hero and writing the "Where are you taking me?" guide. I'd suggest looking at it if you have some character strength questions for Z stage.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the poll above on what stages should be legal.

The reason I think optimal stagepicks aren't discussed a lot is because it's not set in stone that marth has to like fd the most or fox has to love stadium. Of course they have to perform there to a degree but your best stage should be what fits you the best, not what fits your character best. (Although your character does benefit from certain stages more than others)

If you want to know my view on what stages to use for a character against whatever I'm open to discuss it but I'm not gonna generalize it and sacrifice the accuracy of my statements to have sets of characters be good against other sets. (For example all fastfallers vs all extreme floaties)

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
I have 2 main problems with this poll.

1. There should be an option that says 'None of the above' which I feel would be the majority opinion.
2. L e g a l i s e P o k e f l o a t s

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
For the poll of what we should unban, I'll give reasons why it's banned:

1. Brinstar - Lava (stage hazard), oddly shaped stage that can be altered by the player.

2. Corneria - Camping, walls, stage hazards.

3. Jungle Japes - Stage hazards can instakill, spikes and meteors almost always kill.

4. MK2 - Walk-off bounderies.

5. Mute City - Stage hazards, main platform has no grabbable edges.

6. Princess Peach's Castle - Stage hazard, stage layout changed by players, walls.

7. Kongo Jungle 64 - Camping for singles, the barrel is dumb, no solid platforms (from the bottom). Sometimes legal in doubles depending upon your state.

8. Yoshi's Island 64 - Camping, side blast zones are too far out, stragge stage shape, clouds.

tsulz

Smash Rookie
The poll was meant mostly for speculation, wanted to know what others thought; I knew they were removed for a reason. If I keep getting responses based on the poll I'll just remove it.

As for Flippy, I like the reasoning that it's mostly based on player comfort for why people don't talk about it much. If you want to mention specifics instead of generalizations I prefer that, I just didn't want to make people feel they had to write an essay on matchups

Top Bottom