• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage-list for Online Tournament (Looking for feedback)

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
So, given that (here in the USA anyway), our new President has stated that they don't view us getting back into normalcy until Christmas time, it seems like Online Smash Tournaments are here to stay with us for awhile. So....I was thinking of starting one up and shaking things up for the competitive scene!

If anybody remembers me, I was rather vocal about my support for a larger legal stage list thanks to the Hazards Off selection when it comes to stages. Unfortunately, our current legal stage-list is rather....abysmal. I'm posting my listing here because I feel like others here would feel similar to wanting a larger stage list like me than on the Competitive forum. Now, this is all just "potential" because I wont know if I will have the time to run an online tournament for another few weeks at the earliest, but decided to put this out here and see what others think.

Currently, my tournament stage list consists of 24 legal stages, with 7 starter stages to select from for match 1. Every stage is placed into "groups" that could be rotated out to change the selection process for counter-picks. Note: These are all Hazards Off

Striking would go 1-2-2-1
Anyway, here are the starter stages:

Battlefield
Small Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Pokemon Stadium
(either 1 or 2, still not sure)
WarioWare Inc
Wily Castle

Counter-picking would go Ban 1 group, select group, ban 3 stages, select stage

Below are the Stage groupings for counter-picks:

Stage Type Groups:

Walled Stages

WarioWare Inc.
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story
Wily Castle
Unova
Kalos
Minecraft World
Castle Siege

Island Stages

Battlefield
Small Battlefield
Final Destination
Green Greens
Frigate Orpheon
Mementos
Northern Cave
Yggdrasil's Altar
Pokemon Stadium

Floater Stages

Smashville
Town and City
Halbred
Pictochat 2
Wuhu Island
Skyloft
Lylat Cruise

The difference between Island Stages and Floater Stages is the ease-ability of traversing under the stage from 1 ledge to another. Stages like Battlefield have a more "upside-down pineapple" shape while stages like Smashville are more smooth and flat. The other grouping is done via the amount of platforms, which is as followed:

No Platforms

Final Destination
Wily Castle
PictoChat 2

Single Platform

Smashville
Halbred
Wuhu Island
Yoshi's Island

Double Platform

Small Battlefield
Unova Pokemon
Pokemon Stadium
Kalos League
Northern Cave
Mementos
Green Greens
Castle Siege

Triple Platform

Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft

The Odd-balls

WarioWare Inc.
Yggdrasil's Altar
Minecraft World
Frigate Orpheon
Town and City

Anyway, I feel like this stage-list offers a significantly more diverse form of meta with stage layouts, sizes, and "randomness" that is desperately needed in the current Competitive Smash Meta. Obviously, this is just a single tournament (potentially weekly if I have the time), and it's online, so that is going against it. But, I personally think it would be fun to play and fun to watch.

What are your thoughts??

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Man, that's a lot of stages. Any reason you feel the need for what is essentially three FDs? Because Pictochat and Wily's are pretty redundant. I also don't find Halberd or Green Greens to be very good for competitive, and Mementos is agreed upon to be too large (though I do like it).

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Man, that's a lot of stages. Any reason you feel the need for what is essentially three FDs? Because Pictochat and Wily's are pretty redundant. I also don't find Halberd or Green Greens to be very good for competitive, and Mementos is agreed upon to be too large (though I do like it).
FD along with the other 2 actually are slightly different. In regards to Pictochat 2, the ledges are slightly angled downward, and it's a "floater" stage which means it's easier to go from 1 ledge to the other underneath the stage. This can create some mixups and does change things up slightly. Wily's has long walls going down the stage, which better increases the survivability of characters like Little Mac who have wall jumps. Finally, if you used the "stage type groups", it ensures that there is 1 No Platform stage in each group.

Halberd used to be legal back in the day, as did Green Greens (surprisingly). I see no harm in giving them a try. Both add unique elements to the fight, If there are too many issues, it's easy to remove them.

Finally, I would actually like to try Mementos than just say "yup, too large" and move on. If you have a slow character, strike the group that contains Mementos or ban the stage if the player picks said group.

I enjoy the feedback though! Thanks for making me think!

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
FD along with the other 2 actually are slightly different. In regards to Pictochat 2, the ledges are slightly angled downward, and it's a "floater" stage which means it's easier to go from 1 ledge to the other underneath the stage. This can create some mixups and does change things up slightly. Wily's has long walls going down the stage, which better increases the survivability of characters like Little Mac who have wall jumps.

Halberd used to be legal back in the day, as did Green Greens (surprisingly). I see no harm in giving them a try. Both add unique elements to the fight, If there are too many issues, it's easy to remove them.

Finally, I would actually like to try Mementos than just say "yup, too large" and move on. If you have a slow character, strike the group that contains Mementos or ban the stage if the player picks said group.
I mean, the other FD-likes are banned for redundancy, and there's a reason Green Greens and Halberd were banned as well. I've tried all these stages, found Green Greens' layout just wasn't fun to play on as the sides were too campable. Halberd I found had too much jank while transforming. It wasn't like Yggdrasil's where the transformation only happened once.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I mean, the other FD-likes are banned for redundancy, and there's a reason Green Greens and Halberd were banned as well. I've tried all these stages, found Green Greens' layout just wasn't fun to play on as the sides were too campable. Halberd I found had too much jank while transforming. It wasn't like Yggdrasil's where the transformation only happened once.
It would be redundant without the stage groupings, I agree. I can semi-see an argument for Green Greens. Halberd, I personally don't agree. But like I said, if tried out and people complain, they are easy to remove. Thanks for the continued feedback :)

Top Bottom