• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

stage creator?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I'm really hoping for a good solid stage creator mode. Something that combines smash 4's stage creator with brawls (cause smash 4's was almost good but it lacked any options). That said, I'd also like to see even more options. I'd like to be able to build a background so if I make a castle the thing actually looks like a castle, and I'd also like to be able to add any hazards I'd like from other stages. Like warp pipes, or bullet bills for example. If it could be as in depth as Mario maker, even better lol. But I don't expect that.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it would also be nice Tobe able to select any current stage background as a base stage. So for example I could pick hyrule castle as a base, and that would give me that palate to work with, as well as its stage hazards and other zelda stage hazards.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
You and me both. Stage Builder is my Number One most wanted element to the game. At this point, I'll take any incarnation of it, as long as stages can be created and shared like before, though a more robust builder will most-certainly be appreciated. I do like those ideas you suggested and would put plenty of hours into the game just for that alone.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I really want a stage builder bad, I finally want to build great stages, such as "Upside-down Battlefield" and "Half Battlefield".

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
I made a ton of what were for me and my friends really fun stages to play on in sm4sh. Especially considering so many stages had walk-offs or hazards. I spent a lot of time trying to recreate parts of stages and just the creation aspect was enjoyable. But it lacked a lot of things. They should hopefully add in a few things Brawl stage creator had. Then they should simply expand the options. More choices in background. More than 1 audio track for a stage. More control over blast zone sizes. Features like adding water. It was impossible to make a true Fountain of Dreams remake in sm4sh bc platforms moved too quickly and you couldn't change their speed. So more control over platforms, both in size, shape, and how they cycled if they moved. It would be nice to make a platform go up and right then back instead of just point A to B and that repeats.
So many little things they could improve upon. Even if it was just sm4sh's creator with more backgrounds that would be nice but I think there's a lot of little things. Just things that are in already existing stages that many of us want to take in part with a unique twist. I also wonder if stage editor could be a thing. If we could take an already existing stage and change things about it. Maybe add/remove a platform etc. An editor could be amazing.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Easily my most wanted feature for Ultimate as well. I had a blast creating stages in Smash 4 since its stage builder was a huge step up from the one in Brawl. Drawing's a hobby of mine so being able to draw my own structures gave me a whole lot more creative freedom when designing stages, and allowed me to actually create something that resembled what it was supposed to be (unlike in Brawl, where you were limited to essentially just blocks, ramps, and platforms.) While I thought Smash 4's stage builder was great, this is the perfect chance to make it even better. Here's some things I'd like to see that would make it "Ultimate" in my opinion:

1: Copy/Paste feature - A pretty simple addition really. Kinda surprised there wasn't one to begin with, as there was one in Brawl.
2: Background/Foreground layer - Maybe a bit too complicated for most people, but just being able to add parts right in front of or behind the fight-line could really give your stages depth and a more lifelike feeling.
3: No more restricted parts/textures/themes - To clarify, in Smash 4, if you wanted to use "space-themed" textures, you kinda had to make a stage on the space background and therefore couldn't use any of the other textures like wood, grass, etc. All the textures and elements should be available on all backgrounds. You should be able to pick a background, size, and music but then get access to all of the textures, that way you aren't limited to a certain, predetermined "theme."
4: More elements/parts from actual game franchises - Remember those big, random parts from Brawl like the mushrooms, and uh, countless stone statue things? Well, these were, like I said, just random pieces that didn't come from anything and were kinda too weird to really use over and over again. Some of these should be brought back (like the mushrooms, conveyor belts, and ladders), but wouldn't it be great to see would be some iconic themed parts from actual games too? For example, how about some Mario pipes? Palm trees with bananas for DK? Or maybe even some little F-Zero cars? Or better yet, just background/part themes for all the series present in the game would be awesome.

These are just some of the things I want to see the most if they decide to update it, but honestly at the very least, I'd love to see Smash 4's stage builder return.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm really hoping that they are saving this feature for a future smash direct, maybe the one detailing spirits... but yeah, smash 4 stage builder was overall an improvement (enev if it lacked some stuff from brawl) but was still.... very lacking.

I really hope that mario maker success have inspired sakurai's team. And i do hope that we get non generic decorations, such as series specific decorations. even if is reused assets from the stages.

But AT LEAST i would expect 8 player smash stages and the ability to choose where to put spawn points.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I think what it really needs is more user friendly tools, like Brawl had. It should be able to place things on a grid like in brawl, maybe having a brush for that.

Last edited:

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
Anyone else hate how in sm4sh if you tried to make this massive structure as one piece like say you were trying to recreate corneria and you misclicked by one block and had to start the grid over. Like if that could not happen that would be swell. It was very difficult using the gamepad to create curves. So if you wanted to make a Mario Galaxy type stage it was very difficult. So options for different shapes would be nice. Another things that was a huge issue in sm4sh was grabbable ledges. Sometimes it was hard to make a ledge grabbable especially if you had something above or below it. Another feature I think we need is grabbable platforms. Stages like Norfair or Deflino Plaza have this and it's impossible to replicate in sm4sh. So giving platforms a grabbable ledge would be really nice as well. Sm4sh was overall a pretty big upgrade over what Brawl gave us but compared to most other games stage creators it was still very limited.

I definitely agree with spawn locations. If you wanted a stage with a high blast zone ceiling but wanted the stage low there was no way to adjust the spawn locations. Likewise if you wanted the stage to have say a lava roof over top. That was another things I didn't like. Lava had different properties in custom stages than disc stages. I liked the idea of if your character is at 100% touching lava KO's. It would have given you the ability to have lava walls or ceiling or floors. But instead we just got 10% dmg and it made the lava just another wall. Stages like Great Cave Offensive I didn't like at all but the idea of fighting in caved area where you could lava to prevent a cave of life was intriguing. You could remake the bottom of Hyrule (Melee) and use lava so you weren't fighting to 340% before getting a KO. So I'd really like to see lava have sm4sh disc properties. Also, if you tried to make death barrel launchers for a stage any cpu just willingly jumped into barrels as much as possible. This is a minor issue but a simple toggle like this barrel leads to death would be nice.

There are a lot of other questions I have no considering things like stage morphing exist. Could we use custom stages as part of a stage morph? Could we use stage morphing to create stages that had transformations? There's so much potential for stage builder I really hope it doesn't get left out.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Anyone else hate how in sm4sh if you tried to make this massive structure as one piece like say you were trying to recreate corneria and you misclicked by one block and had to start the grid over. Like if that could not happen that would be swell. It was very difficult using the gamepad to create curves. So if you wanted to make a Mario Galaxy type stage it was very difficult. So options for different shapes would be nice. Another things that was a huge issue in sm4sh was grabbable ledges. Sometimes it was hard to make a ledge grabbable especially if you had something above or below it. Another feature I think we need is grabbable platforms. Stages like Norfair or Deflino Plaza have this and it's impossible to replicate in sm4sh. So giving platforms a grabbable ledge would be really nice as well. Sm4sh was overall a pretty big upgrade over what Brawl gave us but compared to most other games stage creators it was still very limited.

I definitely agree with spawn locations. If you wanted a stage with a high blast zone ceiling but wanted the stage low there was no way to adjust the spawn locations. Likewise if you wanted the stage to have say a lava roof over top. That was another things I didn't like. Lava had different properties in custom stages than disc stages. I liked the idea of if your character is at 100% touching lava KO's. It would have given you the ability to have lava walls or ceiling or floors. But instead we just got 10% dmg and it made the lava just another wall. Stages like Great Cave Offensive I didn't like at all but the idea of fighting in caved area where you could lava to prevent a cave of life was intriguing. You could remake the bottom of Hyrule (Melee) and use lava so you weren't fighting to 340% before getting a KO. So I'd really like to see lava have sm4sh disc properties. Also, if you tried to make death barrel launchers for a stage any cpu just willingly jumped into barrels as much as possible. This is a minor issue but a simple toggle like this barrel leads to death would be nice.

There are a lot of other questions I have no considering things like stage morphing exist. Could we use custom stages as part of a stage morph? Could we use stage morphing to create stages that had transformations? There's so much potential for stage builder I really hope it doesn't get left out.
Yea the whole issue with grabbable ledges was annoying, and I'd like to see grabbable platforms too. Having control over spawn points would be a nice inclusion as well.

If stage morph could be applied to custom stages too, that would be absolutely incredible.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
There is already a thread about it : https://smashboards.com/threads/stage-builder-ideas-and-improvements.456026/post-22220324. Anyway, here is what I replied in the previous thread:

1) Since Brawl, the thing I want the most in stage-builder would be that when you create a stage, you have an option to have the chosen in-game track playing in the background when you create the stage. Having the same track over and over is annoying.

2) I'd like a Brawl-like block option to create stage because sometimes it's painful to create platform that suddenly transform into a weird thing so you have to delete and retry. Or a improvement of Sm4sh's system so it would be easier. Also, it would be nice to make a real grid that just work unlike Sm4sh gamepad's grid.

3) When you draw to forms that collide, it could give you an option to fusion those two into one, for aesthetics purposes. And it could prevent the glitch where your character is dragged inside the platforms and get stuck between them.

4) MORE BACKGROUNDS AND IF WE COULD IMPORT OUR OWN IT COULD BE AWESOME !

5) A option to create point where a character can grab the side of a platform. How many goddamn time did I just spend re-drawing a platform so it gives me the option ?

6) As the Brawl PC stage builder : Decide where players spawn.

7) More objects like in Brawl and it could take few scripted-elements from actual stage to improve the players experience.

8) Having the possibility to expand/reduce the size of the stage while creating it (the same way you crop a picture in Photoshop).

9) Lightning options & particles so stage doesn't looks terrible in comparison to real ones.

I could go on forever . . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom