• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Counterpick for MK vs Toon Link?

Double Vision

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phil9943
I'm a Meta Knight main, and I have a friend who lives close-by that is also into competitive Brawl who mains Toon Link and I just can't seem to beat him! I know that Lylat is a great counterpick option, but I don't want to have to only pick Lylat every time. One thing that should be noted is that he sets up item control and stage control to the point where all I can really do is shark the edge with U-air. I mean, I always have bombs, arrows, and boomerangs in my face to the point where I can't even move. Any advice (general tips are nice as well)?

Last edited:

Laem

Smash Champion
I'd recommend Delfino Plaza, though no specific counterpick stage will save you.
This will however:

delfino plaza is a great stage for toon link, don't take him there. Take him to Halberd or Frigate Orpheon. If it has to be a starter, take him to Battlefield.

Tornado is good vs. Toon Link when Toon Link isn't holding a bomb. Usually what you'll want to do is powershield a lot of projectiles and punish tons of things with grounded UpB. When he gets off stage you should probably go for a good Dair gimp too.

Double Vision

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phil9943
Ummmmm, what's a gimp? I'm somewhat new to competitive smash so I don't know much vocab yet. Is it where you just use the same move to bring him further and further from the edge/stage?

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Ummmmm, what's a gimp? I'm somewhat new to competitive smash so I don't know much vocab yet. Is it where you just use the same move to bring him further and further from the edge/stage?
It's generally where you interrupt their recovery to KO them.

Like, if you Nair'd someone offstage and they died, that would be a gimp.
If you cancel Ness' PKT2 with a Dair or just jump into it, that would be a gimp.
If MK can abuse Peach's recovery to KO her, MK would be able to gimp Peach.
"Dair gimp" means Dair him offstage until he dies.

Last edited:

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
you'll have to punish a lot. I don't know how good your friends movements are but on battlefield stay on the ground and punish every bomb he doesn't hit you with. Powershielding projectiles is a must. Whenever he's not holding a bomb or is in-between actions spam nado. If battlefield try to stay on the ground and in the middle of the stage as long as you can. If his projectiles aren't effective he'll have to approach you from platforms where you can punish him if you're well spaced. Whatever you do don't follow him like crazy. He'll punish you severely if you do so and you might end up losing a stock or getting too much damage on your back. Whenever he's offstage try a defensive edge guard unless he's below you or you have a killer angle out of stage you have better options than he does). TL isn't good in air if you're over him. dair fiercely. In halberd i think it's even easier if you can secure the middle of the stage and just punish bad approaches. Follow up without overextending and keep an eye for wrong bomb throws (or if you have a great read and he misjudges you punish him when he's pulling the bomb, retreat, wait for the throw. punish again, repeat). TL is a threat when he has positioning advantage. When he's playing near the edge he has fewer possibilities of movement and MK gets really scary. It'll all be based on your territorial conquest and good reads. Practice a lot you might end up getting the feel of how to out space him.
Hope this helps somehow

Last edited:

Double Vision

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phil9943
you'll have to punish a lot. I don't know how good your friends movements are but on battlefield stay on the ground and punish every bomb he doesn't hit you with. Powershielding projectiles is a must. Whenever he's not holding a bomb or is in-between actions spam nado. If battlefield try to stay on the ground and in the middle of the stage as long as you can. If his projectiles aren't effective he'll have to approach you from platforms where you can punish him if you're well spaced. Whatever you do don't follow him like crazy. He'll punish you severely if you do so and you might end up losing a stock or getting too much damage on your back. Whenever he's offstage try a defensive edge guard unless he's below you or you have a killer angle out of stage you have better options than he does). TL isn't good in air if you're over him. dair fiercely. In halberd i think it's even easier if you can secure the middle of the stage and just punish bad approaches. Follow up without overextending and keep an eye for wrong bomb throws (or if you have a great read and he misjudges you punish him when he's pulling the bomb, retreat, wait for the throw. punish again, repeat). TL is a threat when he has positioning advantage. When he's playing near the edge he has fewer possibilities of movement and MK gets really scary. It'll all be based on your territorial conquest and good reads. Practice a lot you might end up getting the feel of how to out space him.
Hope this helps somehow
Man, I expected like a 2 sentence answer, not an essay! Thanks a lot, man ;)

Top Bottom