• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Stage Builder Improvements List

Butteche

Smash Rookie
I do really love the stage builder in this game, but there are many relatively simple improvements that would make it a lot better. I am compiling people's ideas into the original post as a list of items. These may never happen, but they'd propel the stage builder from being good to being awesome.

1. Copy, paste, move, and flip drawn terrain. This is the simplest, most time-saving thing that could be added.

2. A subtracting tool. After drawing in a land mass, it would be really nice to be able to selectively remove parts of it, allowing you to more finely sculpt areas and platforms.

3. A straight line drawing tool (Aside from the grid; hold a button and draw a line to make it lock to a 90 degree angle, for example).

4. More backgrounds (Really why not, they're just images and take up very little memory).

5. More preset pieces, like from Brawl and various stages in the game (EG, the spring from the Sonic level).

6. Make our own My Music playlists for the stages. Maybe there could be a cap of 5 or 6 songs and you pick them all when making the stage and then you can adjust the frequencies from the regular My Music menu.

7. More control over determining ledge grabbability. I've had to draw and redraw identical land masses to make grabbable edges.

8. Adjustable moving platform speed. There are parts where I want them to move much slower or faster.

9. Non-linear moving platform paths.

10. Moving drawn terrain, like the moving platforms.

11. More space! Why can we save only 90 maps?

12. Custom stage organization in stage selection screen.

13. Custom spawn points. Instead of going to the highest land with room, you could have characters only spawn in certain areas, for example, if you're making a cave-type level and don't want characters to spawn on top of it.

14. Custom 8-player stages! They could have a specific size setting for 8 player stages. I was honestly surprised when I found you couldn't make your own 8 player stages.

15. Larger weight limit. There's no way the weight limit is as large as that seen in the official stages.

16. Ability to extend terrain past the blast zone at the top of the stage, as can be done at the sides and bottom of the stages. I want to build columns which extend past the visible top of the stage and whose tops can't be reached.

17. A tool which can be used to draw terrain which fuses with other drawn terrain.

18. An option to build scrolling stages.

19. For the love of god, a redo button! I have accidentally undone some tricky land masses and had to redo them myself.

All that being said, does anyone know if there are plans to update the stage builder? I just get this feeling that it's a side sort of thing that they tossed in and probably will not bother with changing at all.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I do really love the stage builder in this game, but I can think of at least three relatively simple improvements that would make it a lot better:

1. Copy, paste, move, and flip drawn land masses.

2. A subtracting tool. After drawing in a land mass, it would be really nice to be able to selectively remove parts of it, allowing you to more finely sculpt areas and platforms.

3. A straight line drawing tool. Maybe there is one and I just haven't figured it out, but trying to draw a straight line can be a pain.

Also, it'd be nice if the it'd be easier to make ledges that you can grab onto. I find myself struggling to get my land masses to have the little grab symbols on them consistently.

All that being said, does anyone know if there are plans to update the stage builder? I just get this feeling that it's a side sort of thing that they tossed in and probably will not bother with changing at all.
Maybe they will change it. You never know, because there is that update for Tournaments and the Miiverse stage, so they might possibly change something. But who knows?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
The stage builder needs more stage hazards and preset pieces like from Brawl. Additional stage Hazards like Ice, falling platforms, spikes, and water would be amazing for making unique stages while preset pieces(like the mushroom or tree stump platforms from brawl) add personality to a stage and a different type of platform.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
The preset pieces from Brawl were a very odd choice to be taken out, so if they added more features via DLC they would be a must-have. I don't think any additions will be in the Miiverse/Tourney update (but who knows?) but they could very well be in a full-game DLC content pack later on (if we ever get one, and we probably will). In addition to what you said, there are plenty of other things they could improve on:

1) More backgrounds! Since this is a Nintendo fighting game after all I'm surprised the backgrounds we have are so generic. Maybe like one for each series?

2) Preset pieces from pre-existing stages. Whether it's the spinning blocks from Yoshi's Island (Melee), moving platforms from Town and City, something from the Flying Type form of Pokemon Stadium 2, etc, it would be a lot better if they gave us some non-generic variety.

3) Make our own My Music playlists for the stages. Maybe there could be a cap of 5 or 6 songs and you pick them all when making the stage and then you can adjust the frequencies from the regular My Music menu.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Two layers of drawing; one right behind the playable one. This would allow for, say, the platforms in 64 Hyrule Castle to be attached to something, rather than floating.

Also, for straight lines, just tap the two ends. You can also enable a grid by pressing X.

Butteche

Smash Rookie
Also, for straight lines, just tap the two ends. You can also enable a grid by pressing X.
To be clear, I meant like, 90 degree lines. But I did just discover the grid which covers it!

So yeah. Lots of obvious, easy, non-resource-intensive changes could be made to make this stage builder amazing.

Butteche

Smash Rookie
I do not understand why making grabbable ledges is so tempermental. I've had to draw and redraw identical land masses to get them to be grabbable.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
MORE SPACE. There's no reason why the max number of custom stages is 90. And replays take up the same slots, so I can't ever save any replays.

Also, a way to manually order them. I like to sort my past stages by game. 64 grouped with 64, P:M to P:M, SSF2 to SSF2...

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I'd like to be able to draw paths for moving platforms instead of being limited to straight lines. Maybe also allow terrain to move instead of only the preset platform pieces. And for the love of god, fix "There is not enough room for fighters to stand" whenever there clearly is.

Manikku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Manikku
Colorable land pieces would be a great idea, or a sort of paint-like mode. Also, drawing in the background is my most wanted thing as well as aesthetic pieces.. As far as drawing in the background, Terraria makes a fine example of how it could work.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
There is nothing I want more than to be able to draw on a secondary background plane. It annoyed me that this wasn't an option in Brawl, and it annoys me now. You can't make something as simple as a small cave or room look convincing when you can't make anything in regard to backgrounds. Platforms always have to float instead of appearing to be anchored onto surfaces. This restriction is a minor one, as it doesn't affect gameplay, but it absolutely ruins all of my more creative design ideas.

More importantly, as far as gameplay purposes are concerned, they should definitely come out with a patch that lets us drag and drop existing structures. I'm also in full support of a manual subtraction tool and the addition of new mechanisms, particularly water. Extra backgrounds would be nice (I'd particularly enjoy icy/snowy and forested/jungle backgrounds), and I'd like the ability to use any stage texture with whichever background one chooses.

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
Not just subtraction, any boolean operation. Union would be great for creating continuous surfaces rather than having to make sure a block was drawn all in one go. Also copy, paste, mirror, rotate, and scale existing pieces.

D

Deleted member

To add to this, I hope they add death lava from Great Cave Offensive. It'd be great to make cage matches with it.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
So much yes to all these things. It feels like this stage builder took two steps forward then three steps back. The ability to draw your own terrain and overlap terrain is great. As is the ability to create walk-offs. But the list of improvements mostly ends there.

My wish-list additions:

- The ability to create terrain that reaches off the top blast zone - like walk-offs are able to reach the side blast zones.
- Larger weight limit! I constantly reach the weight limit before I feel my stage is complete.
- Ability to create complete stage transformations.
- Ability to create scrolling stages?

(One can only dream...)

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I want the ability to make shapes that are hollow in the middle.

Honestly that makes me angry. Shapes should be able to not have an inside even if there is no way to get inside them. It's all aesthetic.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114

Honestly that makes me angry. Shapes should be able to not have an inside even if there is no way to get inside them. It's all aesthetic.
You can make a close "U" shape, then "patch" it closed with the same material.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they will change it. You never know, because there is that update for Tournaments and the Miiverse stage, so they might possibly change something. But who knows?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Didn't they also promise an update with the ability to share custom stages and replays online?

Butteche

Smash Rookie
So much yes to all these things. It feels like this stage builder took two steps forward then three steps back. The ability to draw your own terrain and overlap terrain is great. As is the ability to create walk-offs. But the list of improvements mostly ends there.

My wish-list additions:

- The ability to create terrain that reaches off the top blast zone - like walk-offs are able to reach the side blast zones.
- Larger weight limit! I constantly reach the weight limit before I feel my stage is complete.
- Ability to create complete stage transformations.
- Ability to create scrolling stages?

(One can only dream...)
Absolutely on the terrain that reaches off the top of the blast zone!!! I have designed stages that are meant to have these types of structures, but you can just jump on top of them and it prevents the stage from having its intended flow. I've just put a bit of lava on the tops of these to discourage using them as platforms for battling, but they should extend past the blast zone like on the sides for sure.

Butteche

Smash Rookie

A subtract tool would allow for this. For Os, you would draw a circle with the regular draw tool, then a smaller one in the middle of it with the subtract tool.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Once I dreamt the treadmills where back in the stage builder, and you could change their lenght and inclination just by pulling one edge while the other was still. I think it could work.
I also think all the missing features that were in Brawl's stage builder be back and improved.

lilval21

Smash Rookie
I do really love the stage builder in this game, but there are many relatively simple improvements that would make it a lot better. I am compiling people's ideas into the original post as a list of items. These may never happen, but they'd propel the stage builder from being good to being awesome.

1. Copy, paste, move, and flip drawn terrain. This is the simplest, most time-saving thing that could be added.

3. A straight line drawing tool (Aside from the grid; hold a button and draw a line to make it lock to a 90 degree angle, for example).

4. More backgrounds (Really why not, they're just images and take up very little memory).

5. More preset pieces, like from Brawl and various stages in the game (EG, the spring from the Sonic level).

6. Make our own My Music playlists for the stages. Maybe there could be a cap of 5 or 6 songs and you pick them all when making the stage and then you can adjust the frequencies from the regular My Music menu.

7. More control over determining ledge grabbability. I've had to draw and redraw identical land masses to make grabbable edges.

8. Adjustable moving platform speed. There are parts where I want them to move much slower or faster.

13. Custom spawn points. Instead of going to the highest land with room, you could have characters only spawn in certain areas, for example, if you're making a cave-type level and don't want characters to spawn on top of it.

14. Custom 8-player stages! They could have a specific size setting for 8 player stages. I was honestly surprised when I found you couldn't make your own 8 player stages.

15. Larger weight limit. There's no way the weight limit is as large as that seen in the official stages.

16. Ability to extend terrain past the blast zone at the top of the stage, as can be done at the sides and bottom of the stages. I want to build columns which extend past the visible top of the stage and whose tops can't be reached.

17. A tool which can be used to draw terrain which fuses with other drawn terrain.

19. For the love of god, a redo button! I have accidentally undone some tricky land masses and had to redo them myself.

1need warp pipes because im using barrel cannons for warp pipes.

lilval21

Smash Rookie
we need to keep these post alive so we as a smash community get what we want to see in super smash bros wii u stage builder!!!

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Once there will be no more room for DLC chars I hope Sakurai will think about adding DLC stage builder elements. Eventually free.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Blast Zone Adjustment: Without extending the buildable area let us move the death zones.

More premade
pieces: The drawing tool is nice, but hard to work with... I'd like some flat sections, perfectly square blocks, etc etc etc.

Custom Spawn Points:

Some camera control: At times, it zooms in on the battle a bit to much... I'd like to be able to set a max for how much it can zoom in... keep key parts of the level visible even if characters aren't on it.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord

Actually I think the stage backgrounds in Smash 4 aren't just images like they were in Brawl and are at least partially 3D, but I could be wrong on that.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
The thing it desperately needs imo is new backgrounds that come from actual Nintendo games, not the generic five ones or so it currently has. That's the thing that keeps me from using custom stages. I'd like to download some recreations of past stages that I think the game is sorely missing, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. If the background doesn't really go with the stage (and none of them do) it drives me crazy.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree with most of what's been said.

But if I had to have one thing, it would be to make the weight less strict. As soon as you put in anything that isn't regular ground, it sky rockets. That's stupid, as none of the objects in this game are complex, nor are there many of them. So at least let me make interesting use of what's there.

Also I wouldn't mind if they added functionality for creating Target Smash or Board the Platforms stages. Literally all they have to do is add a Target/Platform object to the editor. If your stage includes that object, you have to access it from a new menu meant for playing those stages (it could be a sub-menu under Stage Builder). And the stage is simply cleared as soon as all Targets are destroyed/all platforms are boarded. And you can have as many as 1 to say, 20 targets.

Also maybe add a starting line and finish line object, so I can make racing stages.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I agree with most of what's been said.

But if I had to have one thing, it would be to make the weight less strict. As soon as you put in anything that isn't regular ground, it sky rockets. That's stupid, as none of the objects in this game are complex, nor are there many of them. So at least let me make interesting use of what's there.

Also I wouldn't mind if they added functionality for creating Target Smash or Board the Platforms stages. Literally all they have to do is add a Target/Platform object to the editor. If your stage includes that object, you have to access it from a new menu meant for playing those stages (it could be a sub-menu under Stage Builder). And the stage is simply cleared as soon as all Targets are destroyed/all platforms are boarded. And you can have as many as 1 to say, 20 targets.

Also maybe add a starting line and finish line object, so I can make racing stages.
Actually, as soon as you do anything other than regular ground it does get needlessly complex, especially if you aren't careful. I think the game saves every single vertex you place, so if your pen hand isn't awesomely steady you can easily end up making a simple shape horribly complex. Also, if you place lava entirely overlapping other lava, the game still saves its location for some stupid reason.

D

Deleted member

It'd be cool if you could copy already existing stages, because it's pretty annoying when you have to remake an entire stage just to make a simple change. Plus, I like to keep older versions of my stages in case I want a base to work off of.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually, as soon as you do anything other than regular ground it does get needlessly complex, especially if you aren't careful. I think the game saves every single vertex you place, so if your pen hand isn't awesomely steady you can easily end up making a simple shape horribly complex. Also, if you place lava entirely overlapping other lava, the game still saves its location for some stupid reason.
Actually, the reason I am complaining is because I was making a stage yesterday that had barely anything in it and was neat, yet it still filled up. I also didn't have any overlapping lava. Everything was done using the grid and pen tool.

It'd be cool if you could copy already existing stages, because it's pretty annoying when you have to remake an entire stage just to make a simple change. Plus, I like to keep older versions of my stages in case I want a base to work off of.
You can actually edit stages you saved already.

This still makes it awkward for making variants but if you notice something you want to permanently change, you can do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom