• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Albert/Edmonton Bi-weeklies

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman

I will be hosting bi-weekly tournaments In St. Albert. As Edmonton is so close to St. Albert, It will essentially be an Edmonton bi-weekly. This is the first time I have hosted a tourny, so bear with me for the first couple :/ I will be using Randalls Pro Impact bi-weeklys as a guideline, so hopefully it will run smoothly.

Where:
A store called Mission fun
86 8636 McKenney Ave, St Albert, AB T8N 2G4
to get there:
* get onto northbound St. Albert Road (Highway # 2).
* stay in the left lane as you come down the big hill into the river valley
* as you cross the river, a ways ahead you will see an overpass crossing the highway for cyclists and pedestrians
* turn left at this overpass (west) You will see the Sobey's and Shell
* you are now on Mckenney Avenue heading west
* stay on Mckenney Avenue heading west up the hill into the residential area for about 1.2 miles.
* you will pass by two large adult 3 storey complexes on the south side of the road
* will see a strip mall on the left side in the shape of a large "L". There are three buildings all together. We are in the corner of the "L" shape, a little hard to see from the roadside
* if you go a little too far, you will see the Petro Canada Certigard station
* if you go another 3 blocks too far, you will hit a dead end at the lake.

We are in the room in the right end of the store.

The store owner hosts his own tournaments, so you can be sure he has a space set aside specifically for events such as this. Also, he does have speakers hooked up, so I don't have to yell :). There is also a projector hooked up for some big screen action.

Game Rules:
Singles

Players will be seeded randomly into a double-elimination tournament bracket. If we have an uneven number of participants, certain players will be automatically advanced in the bracket without penalty by way of a bye.

Matches will be decided based on a best-of-3 games set, wherein the first player to win two games will advance into the winner's bracket. Players entering the losing bracket are able to lose once more before being eliminated.

The final set of the tournament will be a best-of-5, wherein the first player to win three games will be declared the victor.

Game Format

* 3 Stock
* 8:00 Time Limit
* Items OFF
* Friendly Fire ON

Random Stages:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshis Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter-pick Stages:

Luigis Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Great Sea
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Skyworld
Corneria
Brinstar
Rainbow Ride
Green Greens

stage bans are subject to change, based off of here.

* The stage for the opening game of any set will be selected randomly.
* The loser of the previous game reserves the option to choose what stage the next game will be played on.
* The loser of the previous game may not pick a stage that is not listed here, unless both players agree. This is called a slob pick.

Regarding character selection...

Officially, the character selection for the opening match should be done simultaneously (as per double-blind picks) so neither knows each other's character beforehand. However, this rule is largely ignored in practicum. Nevertheless, all players reserve the right to force a double-blind pick if you're really worried about it.

To recap:
* Game 1 - Double-blind character selection; random stage.
* Game 2
o Loser of Game 1 chooses stage for Game 2.
o Winner selects character.
o Loser selects character.
* Game 3
o Loser of Game 2 chooses stage for Game 3.
o Winner selects character.
o Loser selects character.

Logistically, this doesn't work out since the stage select screen follows the character select screen in the actual game, forcing the loser of the previous game to announce the stage verbally. But again, these are the formal rules that need only come up if the player chooses to enforce them and feels that doing otherwise would detrimentally affect the outcome of the tournament.

Wobbling and using any other glitch or technique intentionally used to freeze or stall the game is banned(ie luigi ladder if in doubles)

Store rules:

• No outside food or drink
  • Common Courtesy(ie, no excessive swearing, we are in a functioning store after all)
  • Pick up your trash, put all recyclable cans in the recycle bin.
  • Hang your coat up
  • Good sportsmanship

Money:
Entrance Fee: $10.00
Pot split(after rent cut):
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Bring Your Own Controller.
Also it would be nice if some people can provide TV's and cubes :D I can provide a cube, as well as a TV or two, I will update this sometime :/. However, I can provide two wiis.

As for recording matches, I did buy some fancy recording equiptment(prolly a rip off :/, but at least it came with a video editing program!) So we could record the important matches like the finals. Or if your the first ones to get to the TV hooked up to the computer, you can record away ;).

Even though you cant bring in your own food and drink, you can buy stuff like cans of pop in the store. I am not sure if it will be long enough to go into supper, but if it does I am open to suggestions.

The player cap is 16, so confirm your attendence ;) If there are many people wanting to participate, this number will go up for future tournies. Its alright if the total players goes up one or two above the cap; if something unexpected happens, suddenly making it possible for you to come, join us!

If you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, PM me or email me at gerbality(at)gmail(dot)com.

a better name for the bi-weeklies would be nice; if you can think up of a good name, let me know :p
I am considering Smashthletics, just cause its so hard to say

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
Tournament #1 (brawl)

When:
Sunday, March 16th
registration starts at 1:00

Confirmed player list:
Gerbil
SuperBoom
Lemonlau

Unconfirmed Player list:
FalseFalco

expect it to go a little slower than a typical tournament, I have tried out tio(a tournament organizer) but I have not gone through a real one. I know that this date may seem a little soon, but I kinda rushed it for melee hehe. Anyway, I hope that the Edmonton + area community is big enough lol. Confirm Attendence if you are interested and you can make it. Or put your name on the unconfimred list..

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to attend, but that particular Sunday is a terrible day for me. I have two concerts, so I don't think I'll be coming. Oddly enough one of the concerts is even in St. Albert!

Also, I'm excited about Edmonton having some sort of bi-weekly thing going on. I hope this turns out well.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
Sure, I have no date set in stone yet haha.
Should it be a Melee tournament or a brawl one?

Lefticle

Smash Journeyman
I may be able to attend this coming one, but it hinges entirely on two things:

Can anyone give me a ride? That'd be ace.

Also, what time is it starting?

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
Registration starts at 1:00pm
I'm thinking of starting at 2:00, so we can get some friendlies in.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I don't think I'm confident enough in my skill at, as well as the engine of Brawl to put money down for this ****. I'll try and make it anyway, put me as unconfirmed.

metaknight, pit, marth are all hax in this game

srsly wtf

falco ftw

Talgatha

Smash Rookie
I can't go this weekend (school, work, etc)
but I should be appearing whenever I can. maybe I can book every other sunday off...
I was wondering if I was going to be able to do ANY tournies at all (no car) but this one is within walking distance. gerbality, I proffer you a cookie.

I should be going to the next one.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
Results:
First: Ritherz
Second: Gerbality
Third: RedWater
Ritherz won with his beast of a rob. All in all, it went smoothly, minus the fact that only three people came. Hopefully we can get a better turnout for future tournaments like at...

Tournament #2
When:
takes place same time (1:00 registration, 2:00 start), on March 30th

Confirmed:
Talgatha
Gerbality
sam3s

Unconfirmed:
Solaris
SuperBoom
Ritherz
RedWater
Alphicans

FalseFalco

Smash Master
gerbality man

you're doing a great thing here...but I'm gonna miss the next one too cause I'll be in Japan :laugh:

I promise I will attend tournament #3 though. Hopefully I won't suck at Brawl by then!

Lefticle

Smash Journeyman
I'm missing the next one because I'll be in Europe. Won't be back until April 3.

Dude, Carl, you weeaboo, set the next CT for mid-April so I can make it.

h2o_down

Smash Rookie
im working on those bi-weeklys..., unfortunate for me. I would love to come down and show everyone how to smash. lol, just kidding. Im just really competitive and I think I'm pretty **** good myself.

Definatly interested, but like I said it won't work on my schedule until my schedule changes for summer.

spindash

Smash Ace
I have the greatest idea ever for a name for this series of bi-weeklies (every good bi-weekly has one):

Smashthletics.

DO YOU LIKE?!
>.> Needs to roll off the tongue. Gotta say Smash and then the awkward "...thletics." XD Then again, that might be the charm of the word.

Smashletics? :p

Top Bottom