• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ssbmrank 2016

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
As we know, the upper half of the global melee rankings have been released. Apparently there is a rule that players who did not attend at least 3 majors were trimmed from the initial nominee list. It seems that there have already been several players ranked, however, that did not attend 3 majors in 2016. While this is an obvious inconsistency, I'm not saying I disagree with it, as i believe that having a decent number of good wins combined with a lack of bad losses should sometimes trump the attendance rule, which is seemingly in place (at least partially), to make the ranking process easier. I am also seeing players ranked with only 1 noteworthy performance, which shows that consistency isn't always necessary. I also can't help but notice a few players, though, that arguably should have been ranked this year despite a lack of attendance, based on having an impressive performance regarding notable wins/losses in 2016. Perhaps one of these players will be ranked top 50, but it's starting to get pretty stacked at this point.

Please correct me if any of this info is wrong:

Dart! is up on wizzrobe 2-0 this year, went 2-2 with sfat, and has taken sets off s2j, kels, and darkatma.

Blea Gelo has taken sets off porkchops, gravy, gahtzu, mike haze, and druggedfox.

Vro has taken sets off n0ne and the moon i believe.

It really looks like they trimmed some insane players with the attendance rule, which wasn't equally enforced across the board. What players am i forgetting?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I think the rule was at least one major in at least two different quarters, but exceptions were given mostly to international players who had regular regional attendance but couldn't make it to most of the US majors. It kind of sucks for a few players but imo in general it makes sense

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I think the rule was at least one major in at least two different quarters, but exceptions were given mostly to international players who had regular regional attendance but couldn't make it to most of the US majors. It kind of sucks for a few players but imo in general it makes sense
Yeah, I understand why an attendance rule is in place. I feel that exceptions for foreigners is a good thing too. I just also feel that a good tournament win isn't worth any less just because there are less people at the tournament. Of course getting first at a regional is nothing compared to getting first at a major, but beating X player is beating X player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom