• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB: Training Exercises

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
This thread is sort of a response to another thread: The real reason Japan is better than America.

with this in mind:

I guess I'm wondering why we're so obsessed with the Japanese? I say F**'em. Shouldn't we be focusing on our own style and own methods of play?
So who cares what they're doing? We can come up with our own style and training that could overpower theirs. No sense in doing what they do, as we might as well then be Japanese players. We don't want to be Japanese players because clearly Japanese players can beat other Japanese players. What we want to be are American players that the Japanese can't beat!

Here is some backstory as to why I'm interested in this:
I'm starting with fresh meat on this project: namely, my little brother who is currently terrible at the game. I'm an old school player who is getting back into the smash scene. I recently returned to the 'rents house after 4 years, now living the life of a cliche playing video games in their basement, so I have time to train him.

A lot of this is going to take a dedicated partner (me) who is willing to be the virtual punching bag. No problem.

I'm wondering if anyone does anything to prepare for the game other than actively playing it. That's kind of a weird thing to say, but I actually want to break different techniques down and make trainees do like 10 reps or something like that. Notice how I'm operating under the assumption that repetition is key to retention and ability to execute properly in game.

So far, I basically turn on infinite time limit and just show different techniques and common pitfalls, but I think with some structure I could create the ultimate fighting machine and a manual to go with it! It certainly doesn't do any good to beat the crap out of people who are just starting out, so I want to bring them up to speed instead of going full throttle right away.

Has anyone actively played with someone with the intention of making them better? If so, how did it work out? I basically learned by playing with my best friend, but we gradually got better together. It'll be a different experience for my brother though as he doesn't stand a chance right now.

Of course we will actually play the game too, but for now I'll focus on the absolute basics. I'm looking to compile tactics that are common to the whole game and not necessarily a particular character. I want to come up with some scale of difficulty of the tactics as well, so that there's almost like a lesson plan of sorts.

I'm also looking to adhere to conventions already established, so if I start talking some s**t that already exists, let me know and I'll try my best to adhere to it. Also, I'm wondering if there is a better medium to compile such a project, as a forum is only good for certain things. Let's start with this thread and see what happens.

I guess all of this could also be looked at as a method to get better at the game no matter what skill level you're at. For now, I'm starting at the bottom though. Maybe you can all weigh in on this and we'll see you at the top.

The first lesson in training was for him to stop calling it "Super Smash Bros". He has learned well because I smack him every time he says it (love taps of course ;)).

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
Good idea.

I have brought quite a few people into the game.

When teaching someone to play the game I always start with recovery. We spend time from edges in FD with me throwing them off and them getting back to the ledgegrab. If they land on the stage we consider it a failed attempt. Within a few sessions they get pretty good at making it back from all different angles.

guapo

Smash Apprentice
yea i started playing with friends that just kicked my butt all the time and ive got alot better and improved alot

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Skilled players got skilled by playing better people when they were yet scrublets ( which was, in the early days, the aging Melee generation ).

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
Skilled players got skilled by playing better people when they were yet scrublets ( which was, in the early days, the aging Melee generation ).
well sure - it only makes sense. I think everyone does that.

But I really think we should be applying sports training techniques to video game or Smash Brothers training. When practicing sports, you don't just play in games...you do exercises designed to hone your skills individually so that you can apply them to games later. The reason is because it's easier to progress your skills through repetition. In a game, a certain situation may only come up once in a while...but if you practice for it regularly outside of the game, you'll be ready.

For example, in the game of baseball, you have mini games like hitting, defense, pitching, and baserunning, etc... Within each of those games you have other games. Hitting alone has pitch guessing, "protecting the plate", reading signs from the third base coach, pulling the ball, going to the opposite field, hitting for power, and bunting, etc...

Soooo...in SSBB, what are the games within the games that people play?

Obvious examples I can think of:

Edge Guarding
Recovery
Throwing
Item Catching
Reflecting
Gliding

And then there are probably games within those games.

What else? Doesn't matter to me how trivial or advanced.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I agree, but I don't think most smashers are that interested in something like having no sucrose intake for a week, et cetera.

I have heard receiving electric shock for failures improves reaction time.

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
ha! yeah we'll have to restrict trainees to a no carb diet.

As for improving reaction time, I'm sure there are plenty of drills that can do that. You just have to think of what the trainer would be doing and what the student would be doing. And then you throw in a variation so now they have to react to 2 things quickly. Then add another, and so on.

So nobody in the smash community even knows how to practice?

...I'm liking my odds at this game.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Well, there are certain things you can practice with the CPU, (combos, ATs, and DI, to some extent) but by and large, players get better by just fighting better players.

kraftydevil

Smash Cadet
This is a problem then, because it sounds like players are limiting their skills.

There is great experience in fighting better players, but there is also great experience in practicing with other players.

I bet practicing combos, ATs, and DI with a partner would be more efficient than with the computer player, since the computer player won't listen to you. Practicing with a partner allows you to setup complex situations that you may not see that often in game situations. But if you practiced that situation and repeated it, then you will be better prepared.

Another example: you are tired of getting pummeled by MK, so you get someone who can replicate some ML techniques to show you how to avoid or counter his attacks. You could do this with any matchup in the game.

Carnation

Smash Rookie
Regime I used on my lil bro and myself whenever I'm using a new character: fight CPU level 1 5 times. Then CPU lvl 2 5 times and so on. If you lose any fight you have to go all the way back to the beginning. Once the whole thing is completed, you do team battle. You versus a lvl 9 and lvl 1 5 times. Then lvl 9 and lvl 2 and do on. You lose and you start back at the very beginning with single CPUs. Once the team series is won, team with two lvl 9's and an escalated 3rd member of the team. Now I can't even beat my brother and he's 8

:phone:

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
the *only* way folks willl honestly get better is by facing better players, not cpus, but people.

you'll never get really good at the game if you don't start facing people, preferably at tournaments offline, AND think and learn about what you did wrong when you lost, so you can improve.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I thought America pretty ran the metagame for smash....Im sure we do for melee at least. Are the japanese better then m2k?

:phone:

Top Bottom