• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB a revival of series

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
When melee came out I always thought that a lot of the characterws were WTF. For example ice climbers, marth, roy, and ness. I had never heard of/played their games. I see the same thing in SSBB all the kirby characters, earthbound, donkey kong, pit, and rob. Was there a single gamecube (or major) title for kirby, earthbound, kid icuras, donkey kong or ice climbers. I used to get nintendo power during gamecubes time, so I thought I was pretty informed on all the nintendo titles. TBH the only thing that came out of kirby was a spinoff-ish race game, the only thing that came out of earthbound was nothing? Donkey kong came more stupid racing games??? prove me wrong?

My next point is WHY does nintendo contiue to remake the same game over and over again. Mario has already went to space, and Link from the Legend of ZELDA killed ganondorf for the 3000000th time. Why do they do this, with all the above franchises just thriving on nothing more than spinoff party games. Some nothing at all ?confused? Maybe the jump in representation in certain series hints the coming of more new games from franchises like kirby, DK, Kid Icuras.

Just think a unique game staring pit, or ness going through hell, or fighting in a war of the worlds setting. Why do they ignore this. Is it even possible for these series to come back, or are they all going to be considered retro in a matter of 8 years? What do you all think...

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
It would be nice to have some revivals, but that might be too chancy. Nintendo has excellent design teams, but questionable writers (as evidence of Brawl/everything). Do you think the revivals would actually be any better than the stuff we're getting now? One or two new mechanics and pretty graphics/animation but with the same **** plot all over again?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
People are always complaining that Nintendo doesn't have enough new IPs, when they have plenty of old IPs with so much potential.

When melee came out I always thought that a lot of the characterws were WTF. For example ice climbers, marth, roy, and ness. I had never heard of/played their games. I see the same thing in SSBB all the kirby characters, earthbound, donkey kong, pit, and rob. Was there a single gamecube (or major) title for kirby, earthbound, kid icuras, donkey kong or ice climbers. I used to get nintendo power during gamecubes time, so I thought I was pretty informed on all the nintendo titles. TBH the only thing that came out of kirby was a spinoff-ish race game, the only thing that came out of earthbound was nothing? Donkey kong came more stupid racing games??? prove me wrong?
Well, Donkey Kong had Jungle Beat and the Donkey Konga games, Earthbound has Mother 3, and Kirby has Nightmare in Dreamland, The Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, and Squeak Squad.

I agree that Donkey Kong and Earthbound have had weak offerings at best (especially Earthbound) but the Kirby series has been rich with titles. Don't even think that they don't matter, Kirby got his start on a portable, he's a portable guy at heart.

I'm still waiting on more titles in the Robot, Ice Climbers, and Kid Icarus series (especially Kid Icarus), but the Game & Watch series is dead. They can't do much more than rehash the same games.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman

My next point is WHY does nintendo contiue to remake the same game over and over again. Mario has already went to space, and Zelda killed ganondorf for the 3000000th time. Why do they do this, with all the above franchises just thriving on nothing more than spinoff party games. Some nothing at all ?confused? Maybe the jump in representation in certain series hints the coming of more new games from franchises like kirby, DK, Kid Icuras.

Just think a unique game staring pit, or ness going through hell, or fighting in a war of the worlds setting. Why do they ignore this. Is it even possible for these series to come back, or are they all going to be considered retro in a matter of 8 years? What do you all think...
I agree with your main point, but I rather like the series that Nintendo is continuing and supporting now. I don't WANT to see Mario and Zelda games fall on the back burner. I do, however, want to see them mix things up a bit. I would by FAR rather see a new, 3D Kid Icarus than another twelve Mario Sports games.

WE NEED NEW GAME AND WATCH GAMES! (or at the very least a Game and Watch Forever collection or something on the DS...)

Also, don't call yourself informed about Nintendo and state that Zelda has been killing Ganondorf/Ganon for ages in the same breath. That's Link's job. Plus, Kirby's been continuing his series on portable systems for a while. He's still going strong.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
People are always complaining that Nintendo doesn't have enough new IPs, when they have plenty of old IPs with so much potential.

Well, Donkey Kong had Jungle Beat and the Donkey Konga games, Earthbound has Mother 3, and Kirby has Nightmare in Dreamland, The Amazing Mirror, Canvas Curse, and Squeak Squad.

I agree that Donkey Kong and Earthbound have had weak offerings at best (especially Earthbound) but the Kirby series has been rich with titles. Don't even think that they don't matter, Kirby got his start on a portable, he's a portable guy at heart.

I'm still waiting on more titles in the Robot, Ice Climbers, and Kid Icarus series (especially Kid Icarus), but the Game & Watch series is dead. They can't do much more than rehash the same games.
True, but some just can't be brought back. That, or Nintendo would have to get creative with them.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
It's a travesty for you to use Pit without having played Kid Icarus.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Aside from Mario Kart, I don't know why the Mario sports games are still going (and racing is only a pseudo-sport, one that has pervaded video games since their inception). I'm glad they haven't released a new Mario Golf or Tennis yet (and hopefully never will), but how the hell did Mario Soccer become so popular? It's even worse than those! I played it for all of two minutes but my boredom prevented me from playing any further. In fact, the similarity between it and final smashes is so irritating that I'm just going to stop typing and post this now...

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Just think a unique game staring pit, or ness going through hell, or fighting in a war of the worlds setting.
What? Have you ever played Earthbound? Do you even understand the basic concept and premise behind what it is?

Also, Kid Icarus in itself was not particularly unique in that it was pretty much the same format as Metroid.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Earthbound (Or in Japan, MOTHER 2) had a sequal. But it was Japan Only and it was where Lucas came from. Ness was only seen in New Pork City in some sort of cameo I believe. And it was on the GBA instead.

As for Donkey Kong, there were those Drum playing games (As said before by another user) :/ But that was about it besides appearing in a lot of Mario spin-offs.

My next point is WHY does nintendo contiue to remake the same game over and over again. Mario has already went to space, and Zelda killed ganondorf for the 3000000th time. Why do they do this, with all the above franchises just thriving on nothing more than spinoff party games. Some nothing at all ?confused? Maybe the jump in representation in certain series hints the coming of more new games from franchises like kirby, DK, Kid Icuras.
Well many times those new franchises actually became popular. Such as Pikmin. But the BIG mario and zelda games are almost always being thought of by Miyamoto. SO they produce Spin-offs to tide people over at least in the Mario section.

or ness going through hell

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
What? Have you ever played Earthbound? Do you even understand the basic concept and premise behind what it is?

Also, Kid Icarus in itself was not particularly unique in that it was pretty much the same format as Metroid.
I agree. That, and War of the Worlds and Hell are hardly original settings. Been done before. Although, Hell with updated graphics might look cool enough to get over the unoriginality.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Oh no! Nintendo has to get creative? I think that's more than they can handle. ;)
Wow, you sound like a little kid.

You've never played Donkey Kong, Link, Mother, Ice Climber, Gyromite, or Mr. Game and Watch? You must have no life as a gamer

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice

I agree with your main point, but I rather like the series that Nintendo is continuing and supporting now. I don't WANT to see Mario and Zelda games fall on the back burner. I do, however, want to see them mix things up a bit. I would by FAR rather see a new, 3D Kid Icarus than another twelve Mario Sports games.

WE NEED NEW GAME AND WATCH GAMES! (or at the very least a Game and Watch Forever collection or something on the DS...)

Also, don't call yourself informed about Nintendo and state that Zelda has been killing Ganondorf/Ganon for ages in the same breath. That's Link's job. Plus, Kirby's been continuing his series on portable systems for a while. He's still going strong.
I meant in the games The legend of Zelda BLANK BLANK BLANK. But how much farther can mario go.... Super Mario Universe??? Thats what I'm talking about, why not a new Kid Icuras, or Earthbound game rather than making the same game 300 times!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman

You've never played Donkey Kong, Link, Mother, Ice Climber, Gyromite, or Mr. Game and Watch? You must have no life as a gamer
Well, to be totally fair I've never played Link or Mr. Game & Watch either.

I have played quite a bit of Zelda. I have played some Game & Watch collections too. I've never played Mr. Game & Watch.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Thats what I'm talking about, why not a new Kid Icuras, or Earthbound game rather than making the same game 300 times!
Nintendo follows the old saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice

No.... thats kid of the whole point of my thread actually. Anyway look how metriod got revived, who's to say kid Icuras cannot.

TheZeroOne

Smash Apprentice
I thought a red plumber traveling through space was pretty creative.

But you're right. Its all the same story with some changes here and there. I wonder if there will be another major series for Nintendo.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
No.... thats kid of the whole point of my thread actually. Anyway look how metriod got revived, who's to say kid Icuras cannot.
If you don't know anything about the characters/concepts of the game then you shouldn't even be talking about them. Many people would even say if you've never played a game don't talk about it.

Not every game needs a sequel/to be made into a 20 year franchise.

And if you really want to play more Mother than import Mother 3.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
If you don't know anything about the characters/concepts of the game then you shouldn't even be talking about them. Many people would even say if you've never played a game don't talk about it.

Not every game needs a sequel/to be made into a 20 year franchise.

And if you really want to play more Mother than import Mother 3.
My question to you is when does a game need a 20 year franchise.

Thanks Link730^^^^^

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
My question to you is when does a game need a 20 year franchise.
Not a relevant question in the least. But I'll humor you. A game can have a 20 year franchise when the quality of the games warrants sequels, not to mention the sales stay high, and the idea can be sustained.

But my point is completely different. Games shouldn't always be looked upon as series, even though today we mostly do because every game seems to have an obligatory sequel. But they don't need to. And some are better off with just one.

Pikmin And Yoshi

Smash Rookie

Try and be a little nicer ok ;). And also I would of liked another Kid icarus game myself.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
My next point is WHY does nintendo contiue to remake the same game over and over again. Mario has already went to space, and Zelda killed ganondorf for the 3000000th time.
I stopped reading there.

Anyone that thinks every Zelda title is the same is an idiot.

I hate people that call LINK Zelda.

So much for being informed.

As for the Gannondorf Statement, in Windwaker, he WAS killed. In TP, he was killed too. I could go on, to explain my thoughts, but my thoughts on this are irrelivant, and I can't really proove anything at this point..

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
Not a relevant question in the least. But I'll humor you. A game can have a 20 year franchise when the quality of the games warrants sequels, not to mention the sales stay high, and the idea can be sustained.

But my point is completely different. Games shouldn't always be looked upon as series, even though today we mostly do because every game seems to have an obligatory sequel. But they don't need to. And some are better off with just one.
Nintendo is def. not that type of company. They seem to be the only ones that can get away with it. Imagine if Valve software made Half life over and over, with one new weapon, and better graphics. The games ARE NOT SERIES (thread title: revival of series, meaning they don't exsist). Series are progression through a story, or plot. Just because I would like to see Kid Icuras come back doesn't mean I want Kid Icuras Kart, or Kid Icuras Party. An example of a series would be metroid, progression through a plot. I don't want the spinoff I want them to give it a good effort, and get creative.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I stopped reading there.

As for the Gannondorf Statement, in Windwaker, he WAS killed. In TP, he was killed too. I could go on, to explain my thoughts, but my thoughts on this are irrelivant, and I can't really proove anything at this point..
Timeline wise, Ganondorf's Wind Waker death is the later one.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is def. not that type of company. They seem to be the only ones that can get away with it. Imagine if Valve software made Half life over and over, with one new weapon, and better graphics. The games ARE NOT SERIES (thread title: revival of series, meaning they don't exsist). Series are progression through a story, or plot. Just because I would like to see Kid Icuras come back doesn't mean I want Kid Icuras Kart, or Kid Icuras Party. An example of a series would be metroid, progression through a plot. I don't want the spinoff I want them to give it a good effort, and get creative.
Nintendo's game series are pure gameplay evolutions rather than story evolutions, it's true. But Zelda titles and Mario titles are not how you describe them.

Also, we've already established I believe that you haven't played Kid Icarus and don't know much about it. So please don't talk about it anymore.

Also, Metroid's over-arching plot is an afterthought. If they had to they wouldn't connect the Metroid games at all story wise, just like Zelda.

Spin-offs are also just that. Spin-offs. Not part of the series. But part of the franchise. Stop using them as examples.

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo remakes Zelda and Mario over and over again because those are easy(er) to make and sell extremely well. They don't have to change the formula much and it will still sell tons of copies. When you transition a series 3D, or a new control scheme, there is a lot more thought that has to be put into a game, and when the characters aren't incredicly established, it's a gamble on how well it will sell.

Believe it or not, the Smash series is now almost a testing ground for reviving or introducing characters. Marth and Roy were extremely popular in Melee, and then very quickly Fire Emblem was seen outside of Japan. Don't be surprised if Pit's appearance in Brawl does something similar for Kid Icarus.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
I stopped reading there.

answered in post # 15, dang I thought people would understand I don't actually mean Zelda I'm not that uninformed.

Above all why the anger from so many people, this is a harmless disscusion.:chuckle:

Link730

Smash Rookie
Timeline wise, Ganondorf's Wind Waker death is the later one.
This is arguable, there are many plausible time lines throughout the Zelda series... the most popular ones being the dual and the linear time line theories. Go to the gametrailers zelda retropective, they do a good job explaining the dual time line. These time lines string together every zelda game into a single, confusing plot line. Though it wasn't initially designed this way, there is some, though little, evidence that they all are connected.

I do believe that something is needed to refresh the zelda series (now adays you can always expect a new water temple, a new fire temple, etc)
I think Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask were interesting departures of the basic series plot, though.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
This is arguable, there are many plausible time lines throughout the Zelda series... the most popular ones being the dual and the linear time line theories. Go to the gametrailers zelda retropective, they do a good job explaining the dual time line. These time lines string together every zelda game into a single, confusing plot line. Though it wasn't initially designed this way, there is some, though little, evidence that they all are connected.
It has been determined that each Zelda story has a different Zelda and Link. Ganon is always the same Ganon though.

jellis186

Smash Apprentice
Im sure you may see the Zelda games as the same, but if you really go back and look at every iteration of the game, they all bring something very new to the table.

They are more so attaching the names of Zelda, Link and Gannon to unique gaming experiences than any other game out there (with the exception being OoT to MM but even then, the inclusion of the masks changed how the game was played). Look at the leaps from the NES console to the Wii. No other franchise out there has undergone such a dramatic shift in gameplay (from top dow, to isometric, to full 3d, to cel-shade) while staying true to the formulas that made it such a smash in the first place.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
OK.

My next point is WHY does nintendo contiue to remake the same game over and over again. Mario has already went to space, and Link from the Legend of ZELDA killed ganondorf for the 3000000th time. Why do they do this, with all the above franchises just thriving on nothing more than spinoff party games. Some nothing at all ?confused? Maybe the jump in representation in certain series hints the coming of more new games from franchises like kirby, DK, Kid Icuras.
Staples are staples. People expect their Zelda and Mario fix each generation. I think Kid Icarus's (and Metroid's) producer leaving Nintendo had to do with their notable absences in the N64 and subsequently. Remember Metroid was "brought back from the grave"

If rumors are correct, a Kid Icarus game is in development. Rumors say to look out for it at E3 this year. And several comments by developers support this rumor, but nothing is certain.

And why would Ness go through hell? EarthBound takes place in America. EarthBound also had a sequel in 2006 that didn't feature him. That's Lucas's game, Mother 3. The red box, the first one I posted.

Besides that, EarthBound is not up to Nintendo. Wether or not more EarthBound games are produced has to do with Shigesato Itoi.

Anything else?

Top Bottom