• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB64 For Wii U

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone heard any news about this game coming to the VC yet, I know they just recently started adding N64 games to the VC and im sure we'd all love to see this one on there!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm holding out hope that Nintendo makes it a frame perfect reproduction of the cartridge based original. Also, not much sense in releasing SSB on the Wii U if they're not going to make it compatible with the GameCube controller adapter.

Here's something to ponder: wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo included on-line play for Super Smash Bros. 64 on the Wii U? :awesome:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo included on-line play for Super Smash Bros. 64 on the Wii U? :awesome:
A nice though for sure but releasing over a 15 year old game with online capabilities on a console on its way out the door doesn't seem realistic. Especially if they won't do it for melee which has way more online play interest than 64.

I think the best shot is Nintendo releasing kind of a Master Chief collection of all the smash bros games with online capabilities in one package on the NX. Here's to hoping...

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
If they do release it on the VC I also hope they would add GC controller adapter compatibility, I'd still play it regardless tho, the Pro Controller isn't as bad as the N64 controller haha.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
They do if transferred from your wii. I hope it is nice on the wii u.

Here's something to ponder: wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo included on-line play for Super Smash Bros. 64 on the Wii U? :awesome:
They would have to change the rom entirely. It won't be possible. Think of it being similar to adding online multiplayer to Super Mario World. Wouldn't be the same would it?

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
If they do release it on the VC I also hope they would add GC controller adapter compatibility, I'd still play it regardless tho, the Pro Controller isn't as bad as the N64 controller haha.
minus the joystick, n64 controller is hands down the best nintendo controller

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
minus the joystick, n64 controller is hands down the best nintendo controller
I hate that controller it's not very good for movement and it also has a random extra third grip that you almost never use, id much rather play with GC controller.

Last edited:

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
If it has a **** joystick how could it be hands down the best, come on now.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You're not supposed to hold the left prong of the controller. That might be your problem.

And having a bunch of loud clanking sounds doesn't make it fun.
How else are you supposed to use it, then? You have to hold it with the left prong if you're holding it with two hands unless you want to look dumb and hold it by the center and right prong. It's just too awkward to be comfortable.

And the clanking is better than struggling to reach buttons on a controller that rivals the Xbox's own Duke controller in cumbersome size. I have relatively large hands and even I have trouble using an N64 controller well. The GC controller is much more comfortable in the hand.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
How else are you supposed to use it, then? You have to hold it with the left prong if you're holding it with two hands unless you want to look dumb and hold it by the center and right prong. It's just too awkward to be comfortable.

And the clanking is better than struggling to reach buttons on a controller that rivals the Xbox's own Duke controller in cumbersome size. I have relatively large hands and even I have trouble using an N64 controller well. The GC controller is much more comfortable in the hand.
What buttons do you have trouble reaching? L and the D-Pad? They are seldom used in any game.

Little girls hands are not relatively large by the way.

LimeSoda

Smash Cadet

I can respect your opinion of holding it by the middle and right is awkward, but it's what a vast majority of people--why are you concerned with looking not dumb while playing anyway? If anything you'd like more dumb not holding it the way of the majority.

Also, depending on the character you main, I would suggest having left thumb on joystick, right thumb on left C, left index on Z, and right index on R, while sliding right thumb to B/A when neccessary.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
No, the N64 controller is friggin' terrible. It's uncomfortable to hold and awkward to use. At least the GC controller is fun to use.
The n64 controller is good. but go to third party's on ebay for something like this:

It's worth it. I am showing you this so if you hate the controller, but like the games... there ya go something similar to the gc controller

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The n64 controller is good. but go to third party's on ebay for something like this:

It's worth it. I am showing you this so if you hate the controller, but like the games... there ya go something similar to the gc controller
I'd have gone for a third-party controller...if I had any spare money for one. Currently don't have that luxury.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Uhh no you're just ****ing wrong.

Also pretty much everyone in the 64 tournament scene holds it like that. Are you saying we all "look dumb"? I seriously hope you haven't spread this false information elsewhere.

Shears

Smash Master
I think the only time I ever held the left prong was for a mini game in pokemon stadium 2. When I first played on this console over 15 years ago I instinctively held the middle prong.

Annex

Smash Ace
Watching left-prongers gives me a very uneasy feeling like I'm being tested by aliens

GC is extremely comfortable to hold but has the worst dpad, button layout, right stick, and shoulder buttons of any I've ever heard of. Dope left stick tho bruh

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
game cube Z sucks about as much as xbox 360 bumpers as well, i agree with all of fire's points in the trampoline pic LMAO

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice

These are hella expensive, do you have one of these?

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
These are hella expensive, do you have one of these?
My friend has one. I tried it and it was comfortable and easy to use. What this has (obviously) that isn't shown is the Z trigger and slot for memory, rumble pack, mic, etc. feels smaller than GC controller I have to say. (been 2 years since I last held one so I forget easy details.)

Last edited:

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
My friend has one. I tried it and it was comfortable and easy to use. What this has (obviously) that isn't shown is the Z trigger and slot for memory, rumble pack, mic, etc. feels smaller than GC controller I have to say. (been 2 years since I last held one so I forget easy details.)
I think im just gonna man up and buy one of these, they're too nice...

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
I want them to release SSB on the virtual console for Wii U + online but I'd be super worried that they'd give Aus and Europe the PAL version and **** us over because of it.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Yea I wish it would have online and the correct frame data, but to do that they'd probably have to rework it and make a new iteration of it entirely. :dizzy:

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Man after watching Super Smash Con for SSB64 today I REALLY wanna be able to play this game again!!! :eek:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Yea I wish it would have online and the correct frame data, but to do that they'd probably have to rework it and make a new iteration of it entirely. :dizzy:
Using Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix as a guide I believe a frame perfect on-line version of Super Smash Bros. 64 is entirely possible. It would just take the same level of love and dedication that was poured in to SSF2THD.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. 64 is probably the best to play now that used backwards compatible Wii's are so affordable. Check Craig's List because you can often purchase a used Wii for less than $50 there and then SSB64VC is just a $10 download from the the Wii Shop Channel.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. 64 is probably the best to play now that used backwards compatible Wii's are so affordable. Check Craig's List because you can often purchase a used Wii for less than $50 there and then SSB64VC is just a $10 download from the the Wii Shop Channel.
It'll probably come out for the Wii U VC before too long they're already adding lots of N64 hits, cant imagine they'd leave SSB out I just hope the frames are correct this time and it's not laggy so it could be used in tournaments, I think if they nailed the VC version it would make a huge resurgence in the tournament scene since it'd be more easily accessible to everyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom