• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Official Tournament: Character Selection Thread

Did you get your preferred character...? (Do not answer until you have received one. Duh...)

• Yes!

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • No...

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Eh...at least I got a character I like!

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
@ Pink! Pink! just a small request, if i may ask we trade characters, i understand if not.
:4jigglypuff: <3

Last edited:

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
also, if anyone can help me, i dont quite understand the "starter stages" and "counter picks" can someone help explain?

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
@ Themandme Themandme
You will be receiving Little Mac
@ Captain Norris Captain Norris
Everyone has chosen a character now. :) We're all set to go! I updated the first post with this info.

@...well, everyone who's in the tournament....

Feel free to swap characters around with other people. Just be sure to inform me through PM if you do so. This way, I can change things around on the first page and stay organized. Thank you!
(note, if you don't inform me, you will be stuck with the character you originally had in the tournament....just say'n...)

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
also, if anyone can help me, i dont quite understand the "starter stages" and "counter picks" can someone help explain?
This explanation will be going by what I'm guessing will resemble this tournament's implementation based on how APEX runs theirs.

In a tournament, there are starter stages. Players take turns striking stages until only one remains, in this case, each player will strike one stage and the remaining stage is chosen (for instance, if I strike Yoshi and you strike Final Destination, we go to Battlefield for round 1.

After round 1, we skip the character changing step since we're (I think) character locked once the tournament starts. Let's say you won the first round. We are now able to choose from all of the counterpick stages as well as neutrals (I believe). Since you won round 1, it's my pick for the stage, but you get to ban a number of those counterpicks, which I am then not allowed to choose. In APEX rules, it's 3 bans, but I'm not sure what we'll do here. Let's say for simplicity that it's 3. The counterpick list is:

Jungle Japes*
Mute City*
Prism Tower
Rainbow Road
Paper Mario*
Tomodachi Life
Tortimer's Island
Arena Ferox

I've put asterisks by three that we will pretend you banned. I am then free to pick any of the remaining stages: Prism Tower, Rainbow Road, Tomodachi Life, Tortimer Island, Arena Ferox, Battlefield, Final Destination, and Yoshi's Island Brawl. I wouldn't want to bring you back to Battlefield where you won, so let's pretend I want us to go to Rainbow Road.

That match plays out as normal, and then the process is repeated until one of us has won the match set of either 2/3 or 3/5.

If we follow "Dave's Stupid Rule", then a player cannot counterpick to a stage they have already won on. For instance, if we're in the finals and you win on Battlefield, then I win on Rainbow Road, you cannot counterpick back to Battlefield. If you win round 3, I cannot counter pick to Rainbow Road. If I win round 4, you cannot counterpick to Battlefield OR the stage you won on in round 3. This is to prevent major stage-bias from recurring in a set. This rule can be overridden if both players agree to allow a stage to be re-selected.

Last edited:

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
This explanation will be going by what I'm guessing will resemble this tournament's implementation based on how APEX runs theirs.

In a tournament, there are starter stages. Players take turns striking stages until only one remains, in this case, each player will strike one stage and the remaining stage is chosen (for instance, if I strike Yoshi and you strike Final Destination, we go to Battlefield for round 1.

After round 1, we skip the character changing step since we're (I think) character locked once the tournament starts. Let's say you won the first round. We are now able to choose from all of the counterpick stages as well as neutrals (I believe). Since you won round 1, it's my pick for the stage, but you get to ban a number of those counterpicks, which I am then not allowed to choose. In APEX rules, it's 3 bans, but I'm not sure what we'll do here. Let's say for simplicity that it's 3. The counterpick list is:

Jungle Japes*
Mute City*
Prism Tower
Rainbow Road
Paper Mario*
Tomodachi Life
Tortimer's Island
Arena Ferox

I've put asterisks by three that we will pretend you banned. I am then free to pick any of the remaining stages: Prism Tower, Rainbow Road, Tomodachi Life, Tortimer Island, Arena Ferox, Battlefield, Final Destination, and Yoshi's Island Brawl. I wouldn't want to bring you back to Battlefield where you won, so let's pretend I want us to go to Rainbow Road.

That match plays out as normal, and then the process is repeated until one of us has won the match set of either 2/3 or 3/5.

If we follow "Dave's Stupid Rule", then a player cannot counterpick to a stage they have already won on. For instance, if we're in the finals and you win on Battlefield, then I win on Rainbow Road, you cannot counterpick back to Battlefield. If you win round 3, I cannot counter pick to Rainbow Road. If I win round 4, you cannot counterpick to Battlefield OR the stage you won on in round 3. This is to prevent major stage-bias from recurring in a set. This rule can be overridden if both players agree to allow a stage to be re-selected.

Wow, alright thanks. alot to take in.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wow, alright thanks. alot to take in.
It makes a lot more sense after you do it a few times. At least we don't have to worry about swapping characters (if I interpret our rules right).

Normally the loser can change characters before the stage picking happens, then after a stage is chosen (but before it's selected for the match to start), the winner can change characters.

nnnitsuj

Smash Cadet
NNID
nnnitsuj
3DS FC
1693-1966-8371
Yeah thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about that myself as well seeing this will be my first tournament I'll be participating in.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah thanks for the explanation. I was wondering about that myself as well seeing this will be my first tournament I'll be participating in.
If our tourney admins would like, I could get their clarification on a few things, then reformat it in a bit clearer way for people to read, and then get it posted on the front page or in some other easy location. Well, @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed and @ Captain Norris Captain Norris ?

Last edited:

fearless.leader

Smash Apprentice
Well Im exited, how do we actually attend the tourney once it begins? log on to the challonge, or will we need to be on raidcall as well? sorry im sure its written somewhere..

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
If our tourney admins would like, I could get their clarification on a few things, then reformat it in a bit clearer way for people to read, and then get it posted on the front page or in some other easy location. Well, @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed and @ Captain Norris Captain Norris ?
If you would like me to add something to my first post, I can do so. Just clarify what it is that needs to be clarified. xD

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Hey guys, I think that trading characters should only be regulated up until this Saturday. What you get then is what you must stay as. Choose wisely.

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
Hey guys, I think that trading characters should only be regulated up until this Saturday. What you get then is what you must stay as. Choose wisely.
Do you mean trading with other players characters, or is this that and unclaimed characters also all together?

Finsom25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
finsom25
3DS FC
3780-9567-3401
didnt someone earlier ask for toon link? thinking of trading.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed @ Finsom25 Finsom25 I have been summoned. Yeah, I wanted Toon Link. If you're swapping character, I'm still interested in him. But if not, that's fine too. Charizard will be so hype.

Kinda relevant: I actually did my first ever 0-death combo today. Was playing as Charizard in Project M against my buddy's Falcon. The reads were too stronk and that ending Fsmash felt soooo gooooooood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom