• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SSB4] No Glory in For Glory (I Need Help)

DaCrashBomber

Smash Rookie
Hiya! I'm DaCrashBomber. (I'm about 30 seconds new to SmashBoards, happy to be here by the way)

So anyways, I suck at Smash Bros. I. REALLY. Suck at Smash Bros.

I've only ever owned two copies of the Smash Bros series: Sm4sh for Wii U and SSBB. But disregard SSBB, as I played that when I was like in 1st grade and "mained" Meta Knight being blissfully unaware of his overpoweredness. I currently main Captain Falcon, Ness (Not the "lol-ima-spam-pk-thunder-for-edge-guard" kind, the "hey-i-actually-use-pk-thunder-the-way-its-supposed-to" kind.), Meta Knight (Ssb4 version), Bowser, and King Dedede.

So after a few months after I got Sm4sh, I had been completely destroying my brother in the game, beating Classic Mode with God knows how many characters on 9.0 intensity. So I thought I was ready for online mode. I thought I was good enough. The result of since I got sm4sh?

I have a 16.98% win rate as of now.

So, I made an account to ask the most MLG Smashers: How do I For Glory?

I'm just going to make a list of known flaws that I have:

1. I can't air dodge for the life of me.
1.5: Same for blocking/rolling. I absolutely despise it when people win just by rolling and grabbing.
2. I always get read like a Harry Potter book.
2.5: I have no clue how to NOT get read like one.
3. I can not dunk.
3.5: I always get dunked on.
4. Counters. Counters everywhere.
5. I am not sure which controller is the best controller. The two options I have: Wiimote and Wiimote + Nunchuk are super unresponsive.
6. The biggest: I am so bad at this game I lose to LITTLE MACS.

So yeah, any thoughts?

Thanks,
DCB

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
It would be more helpful to see replays of your for glory games. But That aside.
Most FG Macs will rush up at you and throw out a move. If they do, and I know you stated you don't like it, but roll behind them, or just shield and grab. Throw Mac off the stage and try to gimp with an aerial attack.

For counters, A common tactic is to drop down and counter, in that case just wait and punish with a grab as the counter will not proc on a grab.

Finally, and this is without seeing any play, just be patient with your gameplay, try and practice reading each match, which really just means you should try to anticipate what you opponet will do in given situations. Watch them, how they move, what attacks they use the most, how do they get up on ledge, how do they deal with shields, can you condition them to react a certain way, do they always run off the stage after you get launched or do they pull back and watch what you will do.

DaCrashBomber

Smash Rookie
It would be more helpful to see replays of your for glory games. But That aside.
I would, but I have no idea how.

Most FG Macs will rush up at you and throw out a move. If they do, and I know you stated you don't like it, but roll behind them, or just shield and grab. Throw Mac off the stage and try to gimp with an aerial attack.
Thanks for the advice! Luckily I haven't seen any Little Macs yet, but i'll be sure to when I see one!

For counters, A common tactic is to drop down and counter, in that case just wait and punish with a grab as the counter will not proc on a grab.
Ok, so I haven't met any people with counters yet either but i'll remember this when I do.

Finally, and this is without seeing any play, just be patient with your gameplay, try and practice reading each match, which really just means you should try to anticipate what you opponet will do in given situations. Watch them, how they move, what attacks they use the most, how do they get up on ledge, how do they deal with shields, can you condition them to react a certain way, do they always run off the stage after you get launched or do they pull back and watch what you will do.
Alright, thank you again for all this advice! Now excuse me while I get up-tilted by Mario. I hate that move so much...

KirbCider

Smash Ace
So anyways, I suck at Smash Bros. I. REALLY. Suck at Smash Bros.

So after a few months after I got Sm4sh, I had been completely destroying my brother in the game, beating Classic Mode with God knows how many characters on 9.0 intensity. So I thought I was ready for online mode. I thought I was good enough. The result of since I got sm4sh?

I have a 16.98% win rate as of now.

So, I made an account to ask the most MLG Smashers: How do I For Glory?
Firstly, it takes time (and a lot of paitence) to improve. Everyone starts somewhere so don't sweat it about "Sucking". You'll improve.

Secondly, there is a difference between fighting against CPUs and fighting against actual players. Classic Mode isn't that great of a mode to use for practice due to the fact items are a thing, and the fact that you are still playing against CPUs which can still be pretty dense despite being LV 9. While they do have godly reaction times actual players have a lot more knowledge that can be used against you.

Actual opponents can know what moves are unsafe for you, how to approach you, how to punish you, adapt, and more.

I'm just going to make a list of known flaws that I have:

1. I can't air dodge for the life of me.
1.5: Same for blocking/rolling. I absolutely despise it when people win just by rolling and grabbing.
2. I always get read like a Harry Potter book.
2.5: I have no clue how to NOT get read like one.
3. I can not dunk.
3.5: I always get dunked on.
4. Counters. Counters everywhere.
5. I am not sure which controller is the best controller. The two options I have: Wiimote and Wiimote + Nunchuk are super unresponsive.
6. The biggest: I am so bad at this game I lose to LITTLE MACS.
1. Get into the habit of doing it. The more you attempt it the more you'll grow accustomed to using it and knowing when to do it.

1.5. Shielding and Rolling (as well as Spot Dodging) is an essential part of Smash. Yeah, you shouldn't be spamming any of them because it's not only dumb but can land you in deep water once your opponent catches on. Again, get into the habit of using them.

Learn which situations you'll need to use what to defend yourself without getting hit.

2. Not much I can say about this one since I don't know how you play. Understand however that people can and will adapt to you at any given moment. Never do the same things over and over (don't just jump up from the edge 100% of the time for example). Adapt.

2.5. Again, don't repeatedly do the same things over and over. Learn to adapt to your opponent as well.

3 & 3.5. No comment really.

4. If someone is spamming counter endlessly then just grab them, or time an attack to hit them after it ends.

5. Use whatever Controller you feel comfortable with. There is no "Best Controller" and everyone has their own preferences. My preferred one is the Smash Edition GameCube Controller, while my friend plays with a Pro Controller. Just use what you feel is best.

6. Little Mac is fast, hits like a truck, and has Super Armor. He however, cannot recover to save his life. While they're extremely hard to handle due to his perks if you can get him off the edge and edge guard justttttt right he's as good as done. I can't give specific advice on this one though as he also gives me a hard time. Try looking in the Little Mac Threads and asking for help there.

I would, but I have no idea how.
The Wii U has a Replay Upload feature which uploads directly to Youtube (the max limit is 3 Mins though). Just save the replay, go to the Vault, and hit share & upload. You could also Potato Quality it with a phone or camera and upload it that way if that is needed.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
6. Little Mac is fast, hits like a truck, and has Super Armor. He however, cannot recover to save his life. While they're extremely hard to handle due to his perks if you can get him off the edge and edge guard justttttt right he's as good as done. I can't give specific advice on this one though as he also gives me a hard time. Try looking in the Little Mac Threads and asking for help there.
I also remember from ZeRo's guide vs Little Mac (there might be better ones lol), Little Mac also has a short grab range; thus, not only is his ranged approach limited to his dash attack and Jolt Haymaker (Jolt Blow in Japanese), but he also is a bit bad with grab-punishing out of shield.

Also, I find it funny in that nowadays, Little Mac players or any stereotypical For Glory players are VERY rare on my end.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
No point in sticking to For Glory. Once you get good enough, the scrubs will just start to report you for winning. With For Glory, you ALWAYS lose.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
No point in sticking to For Glory. Once you get good enough, the scrubs will just start to report you for winning. With For Glory, you ALWAYS lose.
LOL, from what I've heard, this is indeed true.

But I must be lucky since I'm playing the more limited 3DS version, thus I think it's not as emotionally-triggering like with the Wii U version; plus you can't do things like change your username after a results screen I believe so at least you don't have to see that they're possibly getting salty and report-happy.

But on the flipside for me, it makes it hard to see if my foe respects me or is just switching to random characters just to prove a point that they can beat me up with anyone due to my skill level.

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
Imo, just watch some videos on youtube and listen to the mistakes the players point out.
I think your biggest problem is that you have no experience. You mentioned you only fight your brother and bots. So you've probably picked up patterns that specifically work on only these people. The biggest problem is your experience against bots. They teach people terrible habits. Bots are as predictable as they are unfair. They have perfect frame dodges, but with slow moves, you can trick the AI into doing nothing. If you've been doing this for ages, and go online to see people reacting, you're gonna be thrown off terribly.

I think you should just keep going and getting destroyed until you start picking up on human patterns and learn to counter them. Ideally, do this while picking random only, or characters completely outside of your comfort zone. This will force you to pick up a variety of trends over time, and the more you're aware of, the more you'll know how to respond to. Also, play defensively and patiently, even if you get a rushdown character. Learn to read the situation and react appropriately before you go in guns blazing.
When you get destroyed on random characters, keep note of what killed you: these are probably weaknesses you can expose in other players.

If you do this long enough, you'll notice enough patterns to be able to respond with any character. When you can do this, you'll more or less have the fundamentals of the game down, and then can start practicing with your favorite characters to pick up entirely unique tricks.

Top Bottom