• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta SSB4 Falco Matchup Discussion 02 - Megaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I don't know if this would be considered necromancing a thread, but laser spam is less effective against Mega Man than anyone else. Especially if you do it at around 80% health, this is because of new Mega Man tech that was discovered. I'll call it Metal Buffered Shoryuken for simplicity. It works like this:

- Jump above someone and drop a metal blade on their head
- Drop down and hit them with your U-Tilt, which is guaranteed if you managed to aim the blade properly

U-Tilt kills at around 80%, making it dangerous to laser spam around this percentage.

I don't know the basics for the MU.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I fought a decent Mega Man player recently who let me learn the matchup. Mega's most deadly weapons are his Metal Blade, grab, and his fair/bair. The metal blade allowed Mega Man to get in at distances to close to reflect reflexively, and his grab is pretty strong. His up-tilt kills really early compared to other moves in this game too, so that's a real danger. Falco needs to rely on incorporating his reflector into a strong neutral game involving jabs, and play as safe as possible because Mega Man can do serious harm if he punishes you.

You can laser, but it's more often than not pointless because if you're at a distance to laser, he can throw a Metal Blade and that does more damage to you (I think.) You're better off approaching with reflector and jab. Also, Mega's dtilt is pretty good too as it covers some ground and has impressive knockback. A good Mega makes it very hard for Falco to approach from what I've played, and though reflector gives Falco a significantly easier time than many other characters, it's still going to lead to long, drawn-out fights.

Oh, but if he's gonna come back up with Rush Coil and you know he will, either give that fool a bair or spike him with dair for trying. It's not like Mega Man's gonna go anywhere else.

I'm gonna need more matches to get a better understanding of this MU, but I hope this is a good start.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Guys, what custom reflector do you think is better versus Megaman? Im curious about this and I need to read more opinions.
Reflector 3 destroys Mega's projectiles and it seems to carry some up-forward knockback that sends the opponent a fair distance away. Reflector 2 comes out slightly faster and sends back the projectiles quicker, but you can only reflect for the first half of the animation so it needs to be accurately timed. I haven't had experience with it against human opponents, but against cpu Mega Man I found you can kill with Reflector 3 off the top at around 150%. I think that against a human opponent though, that Reflector 3 might be the favored choice for projectile nullification and giving Falco another killing option when edgeguarding.

For reference, Reflector 1 deals 5% damage and has very slight knockback backwards with a chance of causing tripping, and reflected projectiles are sent back slightly stronger. Reflector 2 deals 2% damage and has no knockback, the hitbox is only out for the first half the animation though there's virtually no startup lag at all and it ends a bit quickly. Reflected projectiles are sent back at a faster speed, so Samus' charge shot will be reflected at what I would call 1.5x the speed to give you an idea. Reflector 3 makes projectiles disappear or have no effect, including the likes of Villager's tree. The reflector deals 9 damage and has killing potential near the top blast zone.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
I have been playing vs Megaman and I have new thoughts. I feel his Metal Blade is so annoying and reflecting it can result in Megaman punishing Falco due to the recovery frames of our BDown, so care. Laser is useless (maybe you can use it for breaking his recovery method). He can spam all his projectiles all day and Im having trouble dealing with this, also I find approaching this character veeeeeery difficult. If someone knows some approaching paths or trickts, please help me. Care with his downB, i feel it gimps Falco so easy. Also, he is faster than us so he can spam **** and run away, kinda annoying and Im having serious trouble vs this.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I have been playing vs Megaman and I have new thoughts. I feel his Metal Blade is so annoying and reflecting it can result in Megaman punishing Falco due to the recovery frames of our BDown, so care. Laser is useless (maybe you can use it for breaking his recovery method). He can spam all his projectiles all day and Im having trouble dealing with this, also I find approaching this character veeeeeery difficult. If someone knows some approaching paths or trickts, please help me. Care with his downB, i feel it gimps Falco so easy. Also, he is faster than us so he can spam **** and run away, kinda annoying and Im having serious trouble vs this.
Something to know about the Metal Blade is that shielding it is an option at long distance from Megaman, but up close you could potentially air dodge catch it, though I would think that's pretty risky. I'm wondering if you can either dash attack catch the Metal Blade or clank it with a tilt or something to stop it.

As for approaches, jab, tilts, and dash grabs if they roll more than they run. Getting past projectiles, I'd say to shield them unless you're up close, in which case jump or roll. I'd recommend rolling away and then running in, as there's not much Falco can do from a jump unless you shorthopped, but I don't know for sure. This is just some theory crafting, only way to know for sure is to hit the lab against a Megaman player.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Reflectors are cool and all, but Falco's is moreso designed to reflect 1 big projectile back (due to endlag and how its not a constant reflector). And at the end of the day, those are the only projectiles worth reflecting really. So Falco's got a good reflector, but there's nothing in Megaman's arsenal that is really worth reflecting except for his fsmash. Megaman's stuff is all midrange, and if you reflect he can punish you for it.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I honestly wouldn't even worry much about lasering. Just get in there and beat the prune cake out of him. Bust in with a well placed dash attack or f-tilt, go for a grab or jab. Power shield his reactions and stay in.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
I never really lose against megaman. I basically force him to come to me by spamming my Shine, and laser. If he gets close SH to Fair.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
Well, I have newer impressions about this matchups after playing a little more versus Megaman:

- Trying to catch Metal Blade is very useful instead of reflecting it
- Dont spam reflector just because he is a projectile based character. In a mid range, he will bait and punish your reflector a lot. Anyway, their projectiles can be handled by taking em or reflecting em being enough far. If you get hit by his sideB, your best option is to go, face him and try to give the bomb to Megaman since you are nice at rushing him.
- Rushing him seems a good idea, care with shoryuken and everything is ok, feel free to poke him.
- I feel that we must take stages with blastzones that are far away. His kill moves are slow and he isnt a heavy character. Maybe he will have a hard time killing us in that stages, need to test this.
- Trying to gimp him with fair seems very useful.
- The top hitbox of Falco´s UpB when you do it vertically eats Megaman Dair, use this to prevent being spiked.

Feel free to contribute this or to tell me if I said something wrong :p

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Oh hey. A Mega Man MU thread.

I have little to no experience in this MU, but it seems like you are all underestimating Mega Man's off stage game. His recovery is not as linear as you think it is, because you can double jump after up-B. Also, if you D-Air him after he up-B's, you'll meteor him into Rush. If the Mega Man feels confident that he can recover, our disjointed FAir can challenge yours if you come out to try stuff. Meanwhile, your side-B's can be met with fsmash (risky due to reflector, but not as much as against Fox whose reflector stalls him in the air) and up-B can be met with run off BAir (or leaf shield gimping).

jimm

Smash Cadet
In my experience the Falco vs Mega Man matchup has been basically unwinnable for Mega Man unless Mega Man is perfect or the Falco is very bad

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
This matchup, after tons of experience with a great Mega Man I know, is easily 60-40 Falco.

I'll explain later, but for now I'll just say Falco has the advantage when you're not playing dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom