• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB4 3DS Tournament ideas

Do you think the example shown in the video is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
We have a thread for how competitive play can work. What about how competitive play can be set up? I was looking through some classic Youtube videos and I think I found the answer as to how tournaments can be played.

This is a video prior to the 3DS release of the first ever DOA Dimensions tournament. I thought the set up was nice. There was tables and seat for spectators, 2 3DS' plugged in charge and one hooked up to a decent TV. I thought this is an awesome way to set up tournaments for SSB4 3DS and I wanted to show this to you all today.

Have your own ideas? Please post them down below.

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
Its pretty solid and helps show the audience what's happening instead of huddling around two guys and their screens.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Well, we have Pokemon tournaments don't we? Those are all on handhelds. I really do hope that the 3DS gets a competitive gaming scene.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Well, we have Pokemon tournaments don't we? Those are all on handhelds. I really do hope that the 3DS gets a competitive gaming scene.
I was talking to my friend who has gone to lots of pokemon tournaments. He says that they play the replays of matches that happened 3 - 4 minutes earlier, and that's what is streamed and viewed by the audience. So they only need one modded 3DS to stream the competition, it's just on a delay. So hopefully we could also do this if smash lets us save and send replays.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
I still believe smash on the 3ds will just be another wifi game and no more than that.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
3DS tourneys give us a ton of opportunities as far as the actual format/organization is concerned, mainly because we don't have to worry about a number of setups and whatnot.

As stated before by AZ, handheld smash is very ideal for Swiss rounds. We can set up a bunch of tables (like in the video) and pick one match to stream. Also, assuming we can save our own matches, we won't need to have a bunch of recording devices. We might even be able to send our saved matches to another 3DS that could stream/record. That would be really cool.

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
yeah, I think 3DS can either have online tournaments (obviously) and at physical venues, we should take a cue from pokemon tourneys and have a big projector or monitor that they are hooked up to for spectators. So the question is, who is going to bring 3DS consoles that have been modded for video capture??? It's like 255 bucks to get one installed.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/guide_how_to_capture_video_and_screenshots_from_your_3ds
This is actaully a really important point.

I did some extra research and Wii U capture is way cheaper than 3DS. Here's an idea that might work:

Make spectator and player fees a little pricey. TOs can use their own modded 3DS' for streaming fights (they can get their money back from the entry fees) and players off camera can use their own 3DS. For off camera fights people will just have to crowd around the two players otherwise it will be too pricey however I don't think that will be too big of an issue. TOs can also encourage players to mod their 3DS' so if people are playing off camra/stream they can still hook up their 3DS to any extra TVs that TOs can bring and matches can be spectated that way as well for off camera/stream fights.

I really think this contribution will help guys! Thanks for posting! Now if someone could kindly forward this thread to Brawl/Melee/PM/Smash64 Backroomers and Forum Officials that would be great.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
You underestimate the Smash community
I been in the community since 64, also a judge for the most important tournament in Canada and you are telling me i underestimate the Smash community? for what i have seen so far all you people are pretty much new to smash and dont have a clue of wat you are talking about.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I been in the community since 64, also a judge for the most important tournament in Canada and you are telling me i underestimate the Smash community? for what i have seen so far all you people are pretty much new to smash and dont have a clue of wat you are talking about.
please leave this thread. I have been around in the smash scene since 2007, that's 7 damn years. I'm not arguing your credentials, I'm just saying that you aren't being constructive and you should go.

Last edited:

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
You're right. I am new and am new to the Smash community and I have no place to tell you anything. I'm just saying that the 3DS could potentially explode what with the portability and being able to play anyone at any given time. Of course we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
It's my thread. Your posts are irrelevant. Please leave.

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
Now if you guys could kindly redirect your eyes to this post:

This is actaully a really important point.

I did some extra research and Wii U capture is way cheaper than 3DS. Here's an idea that might work:

Make spectator and player fees a little pricey. TOs can use their own modded 3DS' for streaming fights (they can get their money back from the entry fees) and players off camera can use their own 3DS. For off camera fights people will just have to crowd around the two players otherwise it will be too pricey however I don't think that will be too big of an issue. TOs can also encourage players to mod their 3DS' so if people are playing off camra/stream they can still hook up their 3DS to any extra TVs that TOs can bring and matches can be spectated that way as well for off camera/stream fights.

I really think this contribution will help guys! Thanks for posting! Now if someone could kindly forward this thread to Brawl/Melee/PM/Smash64 Backroomers and Forum Officials that would be great.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, I like the prospect. I still see the Wii U version being bigger for the Tournaments though. Maybe we can use the 3DS version for practicing on the road. XD

Suli Hyuga

Smash Cadet
Well, I like the prospect. I still see the Wii U version being bigger for the Tournaments though. Maybe we can use the 3DS version for practicing on the road. XD
I also believe that Wii U will be bigger but I still think that 3DS has A LOT of potential.

Top Bottom