• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB4 3DS Character Unlock Guide

Quote420

Smash Cadet
NNID
Quote420
I don't understand the 120 1 stock. takes the fun out of the game don't you think?

I'll mostly be playing online to be honest. My main is Robin and I don't really need the unlockables. I wanna try Duck hunt but that's about it.

So if unlocking through online is a thing, I'll be doing that.
Some people just want the unlocks. Some people play to win instead of to have fun, and those people feel like they'll win more with more knowledge of the entire roster.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I don't understand people who need to judge other methods. Play the game your way, and let everyone play it theirs. Alot of people, especially on Smashboards are going to suicide 120 times so they can have all the characters right away and focus on the meta. All these elitist members are ridiculous.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
While this may be a little lame, here's a new Character Unlock anybody can follow if they want more people to unlock. (Please note - these aren't official, and are just for fun)

----------

Ness, Falco, Wario, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, R.O.B., Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Bowser Jr. Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff: Unlock as normal.
OR

Ness: Clear Classic Mode on 5.0 difficulty or higher.
Home Stage: Magicant

Falco: Complete 100-Man Brawl.
Home Stage: Corneria

Wario: Summon Waluigi from an Assist Trophy.
Home Stage: WarioWare

Dark Pit: Defeat Palutena while playing as Pit's purple costume.
Home Stage: Bomb Reset Forest

Lucina: Use Robin's Final Smash while playing in Arena Ferox.
Home Stage: Arena Ferox

Ganondorf: Defeat "Dark Link" while playing as Link.
Home Stage: Gerudo Valley

Mr. Game & Watch: Complete Classic Mode with the original eight starting characters from Super Smash Bros.
Home Stage: FlatZone 2

Duck Hunt: Play "Smash Run" as both R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch
Home Stage: Living Room

If you're going to be using the unlock requirements above (for already unlockable characters) remember that they must be unlocked the original way, and then the "custom" way

Captain Falcon: Win in first place at "Race to the Finish!" from Smash Run.
Home Stage: Mute City

Marth: Play Classic Mode with all starting characters, excluding those listed here.
Home Stage: Arena Ferox

Luigi: Defeat Master Hand with a time ending of "2" in the seconds meter.
Home Stage: 3D Land

Toon Link: Complete Classic Mode with Link, Zelda, or Sheik after completing Classic Mode with ten other characters. Reduce to eight other characters if you'd like to go through as Ganondorf.
Home Stage: Spirit Train

Lucario: Win in first place at "300% Smash" with Pikachu, Charizard, or Greninja.
Home Stage: Prism Tower

----------

Hopefully this will add a bit more variety for anybody who uses it. I'll probably create some more for other characters, too, so I'll update it later. Also, if anybody has any ideas for some of the newcomers, please tell me!

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think you might want to be a little more clear that this is just a game and that those unlock requirements are made up, as it's not readily apparent from the first few sentences, nor is it from the topic title.

Blazegreg

Smash Rookie
So, as you know, lots of people are talking about unlocking their characters through the "1-stock suicide method"
No shade, but that does not sound too fun to me, but I'm not judging! You guys do you~
My question is, has anyone figured out the other methods to unlocking the characters via classic mode?

I took a screenshot of the wiki a while ago but now it reads "Unknown" for many of these characters.
So, what are the methods?
Please help a Smasher out~

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This is what I've seen floating around on other sites. The game is coming out in the next few minutes so we'll all be able to contribute.

:4falco:: Clear Classic Mode (specific intensity requirement, if any, is unknown)
:4darkpit:: Clear Classic Mode 3 times (specific intensity requirements, if any, are unknown)
:4duckhunt:: Clear Classic Mode 8 times (specific intensity requirements, if any, are unknown)
:4drmario:: Clear Classic Mode with Mario (specific intensity requirement, if any, is unknown)
:4lucina:: Clear Classic Mode with Marth (specific intensity requirement, if any, is unknown)
:4bowserjr:: Clear Classic Mode with Bowser (specific intensity requirement, if any, is unknown)
:4ganondorf:: Clear Classic Mode with Link (specific intensity requirement, if any, is unknown)
:4wario:: Clear 100-man Smash
:4ness:: Unknown (likely to involve classic mode)
:4rob:: Unknown (I've heard nothing about him)
:4gaw:: Unknown (conflicting reports on this guy. I've heard both classic mode and Smash run)
:4jigglypuff:: Unknown (seems to involve classic mode, though I've heard a report saying it doesn't)

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
At midnight of the final night, here's a reminder of how I got some of the characters:

Here's what I remember from the Japanese release...

:4falco: I got him after beating Smash Run for the first time. I had beaten Classic already as a few characters though, so maybe the unlock defaulted to the next VS. match or Smash Run since I got a character with better priority.

:4jigglypuff: I got her after beating Smash Run with Greninja. I was quite late into the unlocks though, so maybe the same idea applies as to what happened with Falco. Also, someone claimed that it was to beat Classic with Customizations on, so this could have been the case for me and someone else took priority (or maybe Smash Run with customizations?)

:4bowserjr: I beat Classic as Bowser at 8.5... so seems to be a definite (I've heard that it's 7.0 at the very least).

:4drmario: I beat Classic as Mario... easy...

:4lucina: I beat Classic as Marth after I had beaten it as at least five other characters and Robin. I'm not sure what triggered it.

:4darkpit: I got him after beating Classic as my 4th character- Palutena. I had already beaten it as Pit, but I had just gotten Ness.

I can't remember the others.

Starbound

Lucina is definitely unlocked by beating Classic with Marth. A friend of mine did it on 2.0 and she was the first character he unlocked.

EDIT: Same friend did classic mode with Link on 5.0 and got Ganondorf.

Classic on 5.0 with Mario got him Dr. Mario

Classic on 2.0 with Bowser got him Dark Pit. So Bowser Jr. has a level requirement and Dark Pit is a higher priority character than Falco (which means Dark Pit's unlock condition is harder than Falco's)

100 man Smash got him Wario

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
through my 24 hour early experience. I can say this is false.

My first play through I got Falco.
Then I played with a friend on local wireless for like 5-6 matches and that person got ness and I got nothing. ( It was that person's first play)

I also unlocked Dark pit before Lucina and Wario.

However I unlocked Ganondorf after beating classic with Link.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I'll just play vs matches..

Luckily, I don't intend on playing any of the locked characters.

The classic mode conditions aren't difficult, they're just less appealing.

Spirst

I just unlocked Wario by clearing Classic Mode with Greninja on intensity 4.1. I doubt Greninja has anything to do with it so it's an intensity thing.

Edit: Neglected the online shenanigans. My mistake.

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
I can confirm Duck Hunt is unlocked by beating Classic mode 8 times (with 8 different characters).

Edit: And Game & Watch is unlocked by going through Classic 10 times.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So Gannondorf is unlocked by beating classic with a Zelda character, and Lucina with a FE character? Besides them, I need DH, G&W and ROB. Any clue on those ones?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I unlocked Jigglypuff from a random match. And I'm nowhere near 120 matches. I don't understand the unlocks at all... X.x

Last edited:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
So Gannondorf is unlocked by beating classic with a Zelda character, and Lucina with a FE character? Besides them, I need DH, G&W and ROB. Any clue on those ones?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I unlocked Jigglypuff from a random match. And I'm nowhere near 120 matches. I don't understand the unlocks at all... X.x
Duck Hunt is 8 Classic clears, G&W is 10 Classic clears.

I've yet to figure out R.O.B. and I also don't have Jiggs. 7.0 Intensity as Charizard did not unlock her. Maybe beating Master Core is required? I didn't do that.

Also, clearing Classic as Marth is required for Lucina. You can't use any of the others to do so (or at least not from what anyone can gather).

Last edited:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Going to copy paste a post I made on Reddit here; basically, character unlocks stack. You can fulfill the conditions for multiple characters, allowing you to do several unlock matches one after another by just playing one regular match for each character you unlocked.

I first played Classic as Link on 7.0, in an attempt to unlock Ganondorf. This gave me Jigglypuff (not sure why it gave me her, I was neither playing with customization on nor had I played Classic as any Pokemon, both conditions I've seen stated for her). After this, I played Classic again, this time as Marth on 7.0 to try to get Lucina. It was apparently my 8th playthrough of Classic, as I got Duck Hunt.

On a whim, wondering if unlocks might stack, I decided to play a match (I used Duck Hunt, but I don't think this is important). After it was over, lo and behold, the game gave me Ganondorf. I did another match (using a Mii Brawler, again probably not important) and received Lucina.

So there you have it. If you're trying to unlock a character (and not just grinding out matches to do it) and the game doesn't give you the character you expected while you know you should have gotten that character, try playing a match before going for another Classic run or whatever you might have been doing. You'll probably get the character you were going for at first.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I just got Jigglypuff while running through as Wario. It was my 15th Classic clear. I don't see any correlation for her. :|

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
R.O.B. is win a fight (or classic or whatever) while having 200 or more trophies. He's the only character you can't unlock somewhat quickly without resorting to vs mode self-destruct spamming, but 200 trophies can go kinda fast. My trophy rush strategy is to use G&W and just alternate between up special and key with fishbowl/fair/bair as convenient mixed in. It takes almost no effort, and doing that easily destroys anything I can manage in trophy rush with any other character.

cptnOlimar

Smash Rookie
I just got Jigglypuff while running through as Wario. It was my 15th Classic clear. I don't see any correlation for her. :|
Was it on 7.0 or higher?

For me, I got Dr. Mario by playing classic with Mario, Ganondorf by playing classic with Link, Jigglypuff by playing classic with 7.0, Bowser Jr. by playing classic with Bowser on 6.0, Falco, Ness, Dark Pit and Duck Hunt just by playing classic, Lucina via Vs Matches and ROB after playing my first Smash Run (I already had 200 trophies then).

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Was it on 7.0 or higher?

For me, I got Dr. Mario by playing classic with Mario, Ganondorf by playing classic with Link, Jigglypuff by playing classic with 7.0, Bowser Jr. by playing classic with Bowser on 6.0, Falco, Ness, Dark Pit and Duck Hunt just by playing classic, Lucina via Vs Matches and ROB after playing my first Smash Run (I already had 200 trophies then).
No. I had tried Charizard at 7.0 and got nothing for it. I used Wario on 5.0 and suddenly Puff appeared.

A friend of mine had Puff appear after he used Rosalina in Classic three times. I don't really think there's a correlation. She seems random.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
No. I had tried Charizard at 7.0 and got nothing for it. I used Wario on 5.0 and suddenly Puff appeared.

A friend of mine had Puff appear after he used Rosalina in Classic three times. I don't really think there's a correlation. She seems random.
Omg people are talking about me.

Pink!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
3DS FC
3695-0038-5541
Well, I got :4jigglypuff: by clearing Classic with Pit randomly...apparently I've cleared Classic 16 times. I don't know if this helps any.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
Prism said:
Classic Mode:
Win with 1 character: Falco
Win with 2 characters: Ness
Win with 4 characters: Dark Pit
Win with Bowser on Intensity 7.0 or higher: Bowser Jr.
Win with Mario: Dr. Mario
Win with Link, Zelda, or Shiek (?): Ganondorf
Win with Marth on Intensity 5.0 or higher without continues: Lucina
All of these requirements sound about right based on my own experiences. I'll elaborate on a few:

• With Bowser, I went straight for 9.0, and somehow completed it on 8.5 (had a game over in a regular match, but got through all phases of the hands and core with just losing one life somehow). Bowser Jr. showed up.
  • Did 5.0 with Link, and unlocked someone different (some other requirement took precedence, I guess). Proceeded to beat it with Sheik on 4.5, and Ganondorf appeared.
  • Did classic on 5.5 with Marth for Lucina.
  • Duck Hunt seems to be unlocked after beating classic ten times.
  • G&W is apparently unlocked after beating classic with ten different characters.
  • I unlocked Wario by going straight to 100-Man Smash and beating it.
  • After having beat classic with about 15~ different characters (one of whom was Greninja), I beat it with Pikachu on 4.0, and Jigglypuff showed up.

Still lacking R.O.B., though.

Last edited:

Aldri

Smash Cadet
So far these are my unlocks:

Beat Classic mode on 5.0 with Robin--> Falco
Classic Mode on 5.0 with Palutena--> Ness
Classic Mode on 5.0 with Pit--> Dark Pit (Who I died to three times before defeating, is he on steroids or something?)
Classic Mode on 5.0 with Marth--> Lucina
Smash Run for fun--> Nothing
Classic mode on 5.0 with Mii Fighter--> Nothing

I really want Duck Hunt dog!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Here are my results so far-

1. Classic Mode- Robin 2.2- Falco

a. Smash Mode- Pit- Ness

b. Smash Mode- Palutena- Nothing (Ha, so sorry about that, Pit.)

2. Classic Mode- Marth (Customizations on, but no changes) 5.6- Lucina

a. Smash Mode- Lucina- Nothing

3. Classic Mode- Mario (Custom Equipment) 5.6- Dr. Mario

a. Smash Mode- Lucina- Dark Pit

b. Smash Mode- Pit- Dark Pit (I’m a loser)

c. Smash Mode- Dark Pit- nothing

Hkid

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hkid
Rob is a real pain in booty. I've only been doing classic runs so hopefully the trophy method is the way to get him "faster"

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I unlocked Ness after a game with Pikachu, a few minuets in training, and then beating classic on 5.7 with Pikachu.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I following I unlocked in the respective ways

Ganon is beating classic with Link with intensity at 6.0 or higher

Falco beat classic once on any intensity

Ness beat classic 2 times on any intensity

Dark Pit beat classic 4 times on any intensity

Wario completed 100-multi man match

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Update.. and this is possibly important-

1. Classic Mode- Robin 2.2- Falco

a. Smash Mode- Pit- Ness

b. Smash Mode- Palutena- Nothing (Ha, so sorry about that, Pit.)

2. Classic Mode- Marth (Customizations on, but no changes) 5.6- Lucina

a. Smash Mode- Lucina- Nothing

3. Classic Mode- Mario (Custom Equipment) 5.6- Dr. Mario

a. Smash Mode- Lucina- Dark Pit

b. Smash Mode- Pit- Dark Pit (I’m a loser)

c. Smash Mode- Dark Pit- nothing

4. Classic Mode- Bowser 9.0- Bowser Jr.

a. Smash Mode- Shulk- nothing

b. 3 Online matches- nothing

5. Classic Mode- Zelda 5.6- Ganondorf

a. Smash Mode- Shulk- nothing

6. Classic Mode- Pikachu 5.6- nothing

a. Smash Run- Greninja- nothing

b. Street-Smash- Robin- nothing

c. 100-Man Battle- DK- JIgglypuff (!)

d. Smash Mode- Jigglypuff- Wario

e. Smash Mode- Robin- Wario (Loser…)

Maybe Jigglypuff is unlockable when you play Street-Smash and then go to the next mode. I can't think of any other reason why she'd trump Wario. Its possible that people have been confused because they just casually strolled into it and then were surprsied by her later. You control round pieces and Jigglypuff is round...

Whia

Smash Apprentice
So, I just unlocked Jigglypuff, but I have no idea how.

I don't think it was from purely # of vs. matches, 'cause apparently it takes 120 to unlock Jiggs and and only ~80 to unlock R.O.B., but I still haven't unlocked R.O.B.

The only thing that's slightly notable is the match I played to unlock Jiggs was the first match I played after clearing the first panel of challenges. So, maybe people could look into that. If anybody has Jiggs but hasn't completed the first 35 challenges, then I'm still totally in the dark as to how this happened.

ChickenBandit

Smash Rookie
You can unlock R.O.B. by getting 200 trophies then playing a single VS match. Confirmed by a guy on /r/smashbros

Whia

Smash Apprentice
One more thing to add about Jigglypuff: I'd completed all-star mode right before unlocking her (or, playing the vs. match to unlock her, specifically), so it could potentially be that as well.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
So, I just unlocked Jigglypuff, but I have no idea how.

I don't think it was from purely # of vs. matches, 'cause apparently it takes 120 to unlock Jiggs and and only ~80 to unlock R.O.B., but I still haven't unlocked R.O.B.

The only thing that's slightly notable is the match I played to unlock Jiggs was the first match I played after clearing the first panel of challenges. So, maybe people could look into that. If anybody has Jiggs but hasn't completed the first 35 challenges, then I'm still totally in the dark as to how this happened.
Did you try the Street Smash mode? I got her right after doing it, so that could have been it.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Can confirm R.O.B. is unlocked after 70 vs. matches.

Did you try the Street Smash mode? I got her right after doing it, so that could have been it.
I did, but I played a handful of matches afterwards without getting Jiggs.

Starbound

So here's what I've gathered using my own research as well as the Prima Guide (as unreliable as they are).

Ness - Complete Classic Mode
Falco - Complete Classic Mode without any continues

This explains why people always unlock Falco before Ness. Falco's condition is harder, so the game gives him higher priority when both conditions are satisfied.

Dark Pit - Complete Classic Mode 3 Times
Duck Hunt - Complete Classic Mode 8 Times
Game and Watch - Complete Classic Mode 10 Times

Dr. Mario - Complete Classic Mode on 4.0 with Mario
Ganondorf - Complete Classic Mode on 5.0 with Link or Zelda
Bowser Jr. - Complete Classic Mode on 6.0 with Bowser
Lucina - Complete Classic Mode with Marth with no continues

Wario - Complete 100 Man Smash

ROB - Collect 200 Trophies
Jigglypuff - Collect 30 pieces of equipment

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
The only thing that's slightly notable is the match I played to unlock Jiggs was the first match I played after clearing the first panel of challenges. So, maybe people could look into that.
I have cleared the first panel of challenges but as of yet no Jigglypuff to be seen.

Top Bottom