• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB4 3DS Character Unlock Guide

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to play the game and let the game unfold itself for me. Unless u are really in a rush to unlock everything by all means kill yourself 120 times. Or u can take your time and enjoy thegame for what it is until the wiiU version.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Most likely 120 (Real) Vs. Matches...but I'll see if I can grind through 7.0 difficulty.

Sages

Smash Cadet
For me it's going to be all Classic Mode Route.

I watched JWittz do it just about 2 hours. He was also fooling around, and lost twice against Master Core, which resulted in re-runs of Classic Mode. Although he didn't unlock R.O.B. until hours later.

Classic Mode will be cool, because I'll get to practice as those characters, unlock some custom moves, and net coins and trophies. Do we have a confirmed method of unlock? I have this but I'm not certain it's 100% accurate:
  • NESS
    • Beat Classic Mode 2 Times
    • 10 Vs. Matches
  • FALCO
    • Beat Classic Mode 1 Time
    • 20 Vs. Matches
  • WARIO
    • Beat 100-Man Smash
    • 30 Vs. Matches
  • LUCINA
    • Beat Classic Mode with Marth
    • 40 Vs. Matches
  • DARK PIT
    • Beat Classic Mode 3 or 4 Times
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  • DR. MARIO
    • Beat Classic Mode with Mario
    • 60 Vs. Matches
  • R.O.B.
    • Beat Classic Mode with Mr. G&W on intensity 7.0 or higher
    • 70 Vs. Matches
  • GANONDORF
    • Beat Classic Mode with Link
    • 80 Vs. Matches
  • MR. GAME & WATCH
    • Beat Classic Mode with Duck Hunt
    • 90 Vs. Matches
  • BOWSER JR.
    • Beat Classic Mode with Bowser on intensity on intensity 7.0 or higher
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  • DUCK HUNT
    • Beat Classic Mode 8 times.
    • 110 Vs. Matches
  • JIGGLYPUFF
    • Beat Classic Mode with Charizard on intensity 7.0 or higher
    • 120 Vs. Matches

Stages
  • BALLOON FIGHT
    • Use the Villager 3 time in VS mode
  • GAMEBOY DREAMLAND
    • Use Kirby's Final Smash
  • FLAT ZONE 2
    • Unlock Mr. Game & Watch and complete challenges 1-35
  • MAGICANT
    • Unlock Ness
  • MUTE CITY (SNES)
    • Win 3 VS matches using Captain Falcon
  • PAC-MAZE
    • Use Pac-Man's Final Smash
  • WARIO WARE INC.
    • Unlock Wario

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Since I want to unlock Dr. Mario first before anything else, I'm going to beat Classic Mode with Mario. Everything else I might do as well, probably VS matches as practice with Doc/my other characters.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting two copies of the game - one of them being for my friends who aren't able to obtain games on their own (their parents only let them play games at other people's houses lel) and anyone else I know who doesn't have a 3DS/smash 4 but might want to play with me.

I'll probably, for myself, unlock all of the characters as fast as I can on my own copy and then let my friends unlock the characters on theirs, trying not to spoil the unlockables for them. They'll probably get them in one go by playing 120+ matches with me anyway haha. As far as I know, they only know about the starting roster and Lucina. Don't know if they ever saw anything about the leak, but I'm assuming not, so seeing their surprise at some of the characters is going to be pretty fun I hope!

NivinyaFate

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fate684
3DS FC
2423-4511-5468
The only unlockable character I'm immediately interested in playing is Lucina, so I'll play through Classic Mode with Marth to unlock her, the others I'll get as I play, which probably won't end up taking too long. I want to play all the characters some to get experience with them, so 120 matches isn't a big deal.

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
Going to unlock them from doing vs matches for the most part. I do plan to hop straight into classic mode and get a better feel for the game when I first boot up the game though after that im hoping straight into for glory since I heard online matches count towards unlocks.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
The ones I wanna unlock quickly are Ness, Wario, and Bowser Jr. I'll start by playing Versus with my friends. That'll shave off the first few so I can do the rest in Classic.

Admiral Mikey

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to kill two birds with one stone in Classic? For example, if I beat my 2nd time through as Marth, can I unlock both Lucina and Ness together?

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Is it possible to kill two birds with one stone in Classic? For example, if I beat my 2nd time through as Marth, can I unlock both Lucina and Ness together?
It hasn't been like that for any other game. For example, in Melee, you only get to fight Dr. Mario when beating Adventure as Mario and beating Luigi, provided you haven't unlocked Dr. Mario before.

tommykittycat

Smash Rookie
NNID
tommykittycat
3DS FC
3823-8531-0161
I'm not going to really focus primarily on unlocking characters. I'll just do whatever I feel like doing and the characters will be unlocked eventually just by playing the game.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
Half and half, really. When I get the game, I'll play Classic Mode until my brothers get home from school. Being a few hours, I should have plenty of time to get a few guys from there AND make some cool Miis, plus try out some of the other modes. Once they get home it'll be VS time.
This is going to be a very long week.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Depends on if I have friends getting the game on release so I can play with them. If not then Classic for awhile.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's not like there's any unlockables I really want to play, so I might as well just do classic a bunch to get character trophies and unlock characters as they come.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
My friends and I are attending a midnight premiere and then taking Friday off to just play all day, so we'll potentially unlock most of them just from multiplayer. Normally I'd try to get a specific character I really want first, but the starting roster is so massive (it's as big as Brawl's ENTIRE roster, not counting transformations) that I'm sure it will suffice.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I always play Link through Classic first in every game, so I guess I am unlocking Ganondorf first, then letting things happen as they do.

But I'm taking the Classic Mode route. I always take the non-Vs. mode route.

If you actually intend to play the single player modes anyway, I don't know why you'd sit and suicide for an hour first. You'll get the characters as you go through single player. So... why not just do that? Especially if you intend on collecting things like trophies.

If you're just going to be doing tech crap, then sure. Makes sense. You don't care about single player or the other 90% of the game.

Honestly, I'd venture a guess that unlocking characters via Classic is probably faster or the same amount of time as Versus in SSB4. I mean, heck, you can do it on Easy for all but like 2-3 of them.

It's only 77 fights (factoring in the unlock battles), and then 100 Man Smash.

77, instead of 120. And you get trophies, money & custom items along the way.

I can't think of why that is not more cost effective.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Which difficulty?

I'd like to make this as easy as possible so it's not too hard, I hate unlocking characters and I have a very short fuse in which I can break out screaming at the game punching things with frustration really easily, and I'd like to get Ganondorf first, then se him to play 120 vs matches.

Could I do this on the easiest difficulty?
i got ganondorf 1st, so probably like 4.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
i got ganondorf 1st, so probably like 4.
Level 4 is too hard for what Classic mode is, especially if I want Ganondorf first and considering I'd be wanting to unlock him on day one, in which I'd be playing classic mode on easier levels just to get characters, but I demand I have Ganondorf first.

I'd rather play harder levels later on.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
\
-Jigglypuff: Play 120 matches or Beat Classic Mode with Custom Moves On
Hmm... maybe she's also unlocked by beating Smash Run with Custom Moves On, since I got her by beating it with Greninja... or maybe I unlocked two characters in Classic Mode, but the other one had priority, so I got Jiggs the very next possible moment. Hmm...

I also got Falco in Smash Run, but maybe that's for the same reason as above...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Level 4 is too hard for what Classic mode is, especially if I want Ganondorf first and considering I'd be wanting to unlock him on day one, in which I'd be playing classic mode on easier levels just to get characters, but I demand I have Ganondorf first.

I'd rather play harder levels later on.
trust me, it's not. even the red path on 4 is extremely easy.

i always do 7 and have no trouble even with characters i've never played or hate to play (though with these characters i usually stick to the green path which has easier fights than the red path, with blue being the easiest). i don't think you need to be concerned though. why don't you just do one zelda character (probably not the one you know best) on an extremely low level and if that doesn't work out then pick a zelda character you know better and do it on 4+.

Last edited:

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I remember watching the streams after the first few japanese copies were leaked. I saw them unlock Duck Hunt by completing Classic with Mii Fighter, and then unlock G&W by completing classic with Duck Hunt.

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
Oh man I've heard so many different ways to unlock characters. I hope we can get the confusion cleared up before the game is released. I'll need as much time as possible to practice with DHD and I don't want to spend a day unlocking him.

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen
How do I unlock the page with the Challenges I have all character unlolcked and I only have 35 Challenges.

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
AFAIK you need to complete the first page for the second page to open up, etc. Don't quote me on this, this is just my assumption from watching other streams play the game.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Anyone have the game yet? How long did it take you guys for the 120 1-stock suicides?

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
I'll keep plugging away at Classic Mode, first with characters I like and then the rest. Once that's done, I figure any character (and stage) that is still left I'll eventually get just messing around in different modes anyway. Falco's the main unlock I want, so anything after him isn't top priority. Except Magicant (and I guess Ness by extension). That stage is all kinds of beautiful.

subata

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2147-2073
I'll be doing Classic Mode.
If it isn't character-specific, I'll always use my Mii Fighter.
If it is, I'll switch to that character.
(Oh, and there's only one person you can't unlock by Classic Mode. And that is Wario. Beat 100-Mii-Smash to get him. Take notes, @JabbatheHutt.)
wario stole falco's job?!

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to unlock everyone via non-versus methods?* 'Cause if so, then, that. If I can avoid doing 120 suicides, I'll be thrilled.

*And if so, please do tell. I know the non-vs way to unlock everyone except Jiggs, R.O.B., and DHD/G&W.

SpotterX4

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing I'll play at least 2 matches every character before I do classic mode, so I might unlock a good number of the characters prior.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Step 1: I go for Ness.
Step 2: I go for Lucina.
Step 3: I play the game at my own leisure, quickly unlocking characters in no specific order along the way.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I don't understand the 120 1 stock. takes the fun out of the game don't you think?

I'll mostly be playing online to be honest. My main is Robin and I don't really need the unlockables. I wanna try Duck hunt but that's about it.

So if unlocking through online is a thing, I'll be doing that.

Top Bottom