• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3DS Final Thoughts Thread

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I am pretty much in full hype. The only things really soiling my parade are:

- I really want Ice Climbers, or at least Popo w/Nana alt, to return. I love them. As soon as Melee came out, I was excited about their existence, even though I didn't really start playing them until years later. I loved them in Brawl and I was super disappointed when it was first mentioned they could prove a problem.

I am NOT a fan of the fact both rosters had to be the same. Aside from roster, they are treating both 'versions' as two separate games, and they didn't pull this BS with Mario Kart 7 & 8. If the games were cross-platform playable? I'd let it slide. But they're not, and the 'feature' shared by them isn't worth losing characters over.

- I also really wanted Lucas back. I wasn't huge into EarthBound until more recently, but I fell in love with playing Lucas in Brawl. He was easily one of my most played characters. I -knew- he was extremely likely to go, but I am still sad about it. Not as sad as Ice Climbers, since they've been around for 13 or so year in SSB, and are STILL in things like NES Remix & Mii Plaza and so on, but I really had a lot of fun playing him.

- I really think Wolf should've been in over Falco. And I say this as one who didn't like how Wolf played and preferred Falco out of the 3 Star Fox characters. I think Falco/Wolf should've merged. I feel like Wolf was just more relevant and interesting than having Fox's equivalent to TMNT's Raphael (even though I like Raph).

- I'm bummed about the balance of representation for various things as well as how costumes were not equally handled across characters.

- The stage selection is kind of mediocre.

HAVING SAID THAT:

+ Barring cuts, I'm super happy with this roster and I love the addition of Final Destination modes for stages I don't like the handling of, I'm glad Brinstar, Corneria, Jungle Japes & PictoChat are back. I'm excited for many of the stages I don't find mediocre and ones we know nothing about. I'm excited for Smash Run, taking pictures, pretty much ALL of the newcomers, Dr. Mario (whoops), pretty much everything I didn't whine about above? I am excited for it.

And costumes? I don't like that some people got no 'real' alts, but Alph? Fierce Deity? Dark Samus? Some crazy stuff going on there. The new Pikachu hats? Hnnnngh.

I just can't control how excited I am. Even with all the stuff I'm pissed about, I am over the moon.

Servine

Smash Cadet
It's crazy to think this game was announced a whole 3 years ago. I was only 11 when it was first announced, even. So it feels almost like a catharsis to finally have the game in someone's hands.
It's almost over, and I'll miss the speculation, many flame wars and especially the big Gematsu deconfirmation with Robin and Lucina.

AlienPK

Smash Rookie
Overall, I'm more hyped for this game than I have most other games. The only bad thing I can think of is how Ganon is still a clone.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I'm imagining a slight amount of disappointment in the roster i.e. no Ridley, no Snake, no Ice Climbers etc.. Then a few days later bam! Nintendo Direct saying Wii U will have some of those characters and they'll be provided for the 3DS on SM4SH release day. Just a guess.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm final thoughts? I am still wondering about one thing he ESRB leaker said. He claimed that the last batch of characters were locked by date restraints if I recall. MAkes me wonder if the last batch of characters will be unlocked via weekly spot pass updates. Just a baseless assumption.

For the most part, I am impressed with the 3DS version but it's limitations are cause of concern. I hope that the Wii U and New 3DS get an updated release of Smash 4 some years later. Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf being cut are a huge blow and if we do not indeed have 5 characters left it will be a blow that can no be mended.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
I don’t know if anybody else has noticed but throughought some of the gameplay I’ve seen it looks like there’s some kind of roll canceling or L-canceling mechanic as well as a roll dancing mechanic. Perhaps this is why they made a point of saying DK now has a roll move? If so, then all aboard the Sm4sh competitive train!

AlienPK

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen anything about roll cancelling, but I think you can sheild while running then roll, and the roll is so fast in this game that it seems actually kind of hard to punish.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
It will be nuts if they slip Bomberman in on us secretly.

Watch it happen.
Seems more like DHD is the little secret they wanted to slip in on us. Of course thanks to the friggin ESRB leaker the surprise has been sucked out of it. DHD surprisingly is the character I'm probably most looking forward to playing, and I would have loved to see the fan reaction all over again if we discovered him in the game. Bomberman unfortunately is a lot less likely, but he does have priority over some of the RIDICULOUS fan requests I've seen. I don't really see Snake coming back either (sorry, Snake mains). </3

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
As an additional thought from me, I seem to be the only person rooting for Bowser Jr. Sure, Paper Mario would have been fantastic and probably a better newcomer for Mario series than Bowser Jr., but he's the next best newcomer we could hope for provided his alts are the other 7 Koopalings and not palette swaps. It makes perfect sense, Bowser Jr. and the other 7 Koopalings make 8 alts which is what every character gets in Sm4sh. He looks immensely fun to play as.

Top Bottom