• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB GameCube error

Shanni

Smash Rookie
Yep! It's been a while since I've been able to game properly, but now that I'm on Summer Break, I have a lot more time to spend on doing whatever, really. So, I decided to try out my GameCube, however every game I own works properly apart from my all-time favourite game, SSB. I really wanted to have a GameCube party (one can dream, right?)

It works up until the point where I have chosen a stage, which gives me false hope all the time. After I have chosen a stage, it reads "The Game Disc could not be read. Please refer to your Nintendo GameCube instruction booklet for details." I've looked for some information online and I have actually tried to clean my disk/turn the GC on and off several times now but it still doesn't work.

I read online that it may be because I don't have enough space on my memory card (which could be the issue, to be honest. You'll see why) but there is quite a bit of space left, just that I only have the one memory card in instead of two. <-issue

I don't know what to do to get this to work so do you think I'm better off to just buy a new disc? Like, it's totally worth it. I mean, I've had this game for such a long time and it still remains as my favourite. I could try to find one in CeX but I kind of doubt that I'll be able to find SSB Melee and that I'll only be able to find SSB Brawl. (I'LL PROBABLY END UP BUYING BOTH) Anyway, thanks in advance.

- Shanni.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think you should try using the other games a bit more, to be sure that it's not an issue of the optical drive.
My Wii has a semi-broken optical drive and I often get a similar error during loadings (I tried with the same disk and the same memory card on a real gamecube and the problem doesn't occur). Anyway, if the error occurs only in a certain situation, it's probable that the disk is ruined in the place where the data relative to that situation are stored.
Probably you have to get a new disk of Melee.
Otherwise, if it's a problem of memory card, you should search how many blocks are needed for Super Smash Bros Melee, and see how many free blocks you have. I can't remember, and I can't see now on my Wii, but when I'll be able to play I'll chech if I remember.

Last edited:

Shanni

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reply, but yeah. It's just SSB that isn't working. Probably because the disc is quite old and scratched. I think I'll have to look for a new disc, then. It'll probably be easier purchasing it online, but I'll go into a few stores just incase. Anyway, I'll make sure that the memory space isn't the issue.. I'll have to find my other memory cards first, though. :p

Top Bottom