• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Srsly what is the difference between side b and down b?

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Yes. Side-B always jumps, whether you want to or not. Down-B on the other hand, can be charged by repeatedly tapping the B button during the spinning animation, plus it will only cause Sonic to jump if you manually input the command yourself. I'm not sure if the damage percentages are the same or not, but Side-B is useful for setting up certain aerial attacks - at least, it seems that way for me.

Umby

Smash Master
Side B you charge by holding the B button. You can also cancel it with shield during the initial charge frames. When you release it, it shoots out in a slow arc (that I believe has invincibility frames, unless someone has denounced that). This one's called Spin Dash.

Down B you charge by repeatedly tapping the B button. Cancelling it requires you to stop tapping. When you release it, it shoots straight forward, and is faster than Spin Dash. This one's called Spin Charge.

There are a couple more differences that I won't get into.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
There are no invincibility frames on spindash, its actually just extremely high priority. Its probobly sonics highest priority attack.

But it definately gets destroyed by SA moves such as Ike's standard B I beleive G&W's key even beats it.
(and i know its only pretty much right when spin dash is released, before the height of the arc)

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i think there are some faint blue rings that en-shadow the spindash when it has this high priority

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
it took me awhile to figure this one out also...could nintendo really not come up with anything a bit more different??

Kel

Smash Master
Sonic's over B is pretty much invincible during the initial *pop*. After that he can be grabbed / eaten by Wario/ whatever.

Down B can go faster but for some reason I like over B more. Side B is easier to control I guess. I also recover with side B.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
it took me awhile to figure this one out also...could nintendo really not come up with anything a bit more different??
Sonic was a last min add in, I imagen this is the reasons why he is so **** weak, has low prority, two moves that look the same, and has odd ball physics in heavy brawal.

kenneyy88

Smash Rookie
down b, you can charge, then stop
you can charge and go only on the floor back and forth
you can charge and go diagonally up

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
This thread covered most of it, but with Side-B on the ground, your jump cancel while charging only goes straight up, while the Down-B jumping charge cancel can be used as a horizontal launch approach. Launching over an unsuspecting foe's head and nailing a Bair is always a nice feeling.

I also recommend the Side-B for recovering, as it doesn't start descending immediately like the Down-B does. This is, of course, if you haven't mastered the Spin Shot.

Top Bottom