• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle vs. Ivysaur

Sqirtle vs. Ivysaur

• Total voters

Furret24

Smash Master
Following up my previous poll about the remaining Melee cuts, comes a poll about the cut Brawl Pokemon. Both seem to have little support for coming back. Which would you prefer to see come back?

I'd prefer Ivysaur personally since I don't like Squirtle and her Up Smash was insane.

Last edited:
could have just made a strawpoll. . . . Copying from last thread.
:ivysaur:Was one of my favoite characters in the game. Also my favorite of the Kanto starters. Too bad tether up-specials are dead . . .

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
could have just made a strawpoll. . . . Copying from last thread.
:ivysaur:Was one of my favoite characters in the game. Also my favorite of the Kanto starters. Too bad tether up-specials are dead . . .
I don't know how to do that. If I did, I would've just done that. Sorry.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm gonna have to go head and say Squirtle. He was the fast, but he still had no problem killing. He was the cutest, too.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Despite popular belief, bulbasaur is my favorite pokemon. Ivysaur was a quadraped, and was really cool. He had a decent projectile in razor leaf, Bullet seed was ehhhh, up b was amazing for killing, and down b will be killed if added, maybe something like sleep powder would be put. Hits in front and behind her. Has a lot of endlag, so only use it in certain situations. idk

That said, I don't believe either of them are coming back.

Furret24

Smash Master
Despite popular belief, bulbasaur is my favorite pokemon. Ivysaur was a quadraped, and was really cool. He had a decent projectile in razor leaf, Bullet seed was ehhhh, up b was amazing for killing, and down b will be killed if added, maybe something like sleep powder would be put. Hits in front and behind her. Has a lot of endlag, so only use it in certain situations. idk

That said, I don't believe either of them are coming back.
Up B was a tether grab. Perhaps you mean Up Smash.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm going to go with Ivysaur, it was pretty fun and was more memorable than Squirtle moveset/playstyle-wise. I really liked the handful of attacks that focused above it, that wasn't we see too much in the series. And it was pretty strong too, without being so slow like Charizard.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Ivysaur has a flower on it's back, making it beautiful and cute.
It's UNREAL!!

Last edited:

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna go with Ivysaur. He was my best out the 3 Pokemon Trainer characters simply for not being too light or too heavy (I'm also a fan of Project M Ivysaur). Not only that, but Grass types always seem to get ignored when it comes to representation, so it'll be cool to see him represent it again.

Sorry Squirtle, but I think it's even harder for him to return since Greninja took his Water starter spot.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
:ivysaur:

Grass type, memorable quadruped based moveset that few other characters have. Love his anti-air gameplay with Bullet Seed.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Ivysaur (obviously)

My favorite Smasher to have ever Smashed

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
:ivysaur: for life

There's a reason some people remembered Brawl Ivysaur's raw power it possessed. It had the strongest Up smash in the game, yes, stronger than Lucas' Up smash. Up air was also great & Ivy's tilts were neat. Bullet Seed was prone to getting SDI'd from the knockup first hit, but if you read an airdodge with Bullet Seed then life became great. And mostly, aerials were also great but mostly N-air & B-air.

Basically Ivysaur all the way. I actually played :pt: by the end of my Brawl "career" & got somewhat good with the character. Ivysaur was my go-to character despite that edge-hogging was the character's nightmare. If Ivysaur was in Smash 4, he / she would be fantastic. Don't get me wrong though, playing PT I enjoyed all three pokemon. It's just that Ivysaur was my go-to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gosh I miss Ivysaur. I wish it came back to Smash. Such a unique and fun character!

Burruni

Smash Hero
:007: is probably my favorite starter Pokemon of all time.

:002: brought more unique into Smash and would fill our missing Grass needs. But I'd prefer Sceptile.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I prefer Ivysaur by a mile. Primarily because he's so fun in Project M.

:231:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want another grass pokemon.

Grass types are my favorite and Ivysaur was my preferred fighter out of the three Pokemon Trainer fighters. Squirtle was my least favorite.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Glad to see people talking about these two!

I would rather they just both returned, but if I had to pick one it'd be Ivysaur for sure. If tether recovery was an issue, he could have a new Up-B where he shoots a plethora of projectiles downward while simultaneously propelling him upwards. In a perfect world... they could make him just as he is in Project M because PM Ivysaur is a BOSS. (Same goes for Squirtle.)

The ONLY problem with having these two return would be the overwhelming amount of salt that would come from Pokémon haters claiming "over-representation" for Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

The ONLY problem with having these two return would be the overwhelming amount of salt that would come from Pokémon haters claiming "over-representation" for Pokémon.
Right? Which is so dumb because it's like they're blind to 1. how huge Pokemon as a franchise is and 2. Gen I Pokemon will ALWAYS be the best (for those "Gen I over-representation haters"

Furret24

Smash Master
Right? Which is so dumb because it's like they're blind to 1. how huge Pokemon as a franchise is and 2. Gen I Pokemon will ALWAYS be the best (for those "Gen I over-representation haters"
Honestly, I don't care how many reps a series gets, as long as they're unique. This is why I have no problem with Mario and Pokemon, though I do with Fire Emblem.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't care how many reps a series gets, as long as they're unique. This is why I have no problem with Mario and Pokemon, though I do with Fire Emblem.
But, you know all characters from Fire Emblem wield swords...they can't help it

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'd like them both back, honestly. Squirtle was by far my favorite of the three, but I did enjoy all of them together. It was fun to learn to play three characters simultaneously.

Besides, I don't think either have a good argument by themselves. They should both get ported back (it'd be negligible dev time since they can just use the Brawl assets). I'd even be fine with the low-poly models since they're pretty simple shapes.

I just really miss Squirtle...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Squirtle is cool, but Ivysaur 4 life. She was my first starter ever and between Squirtle and Ivysaur's underwhelming movesets, I will stick with Ivysaur's.

I hope both come back as DLC, though. I also hope they give Ivysaur a new voice that sounds more like her Japanese voice.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Both are far more recognizable to Nintendo than any other veteran ever cut (barring Mewtwo), and including half of the current roster as well.

The most disrespected veterans, both not only deserve spots back, but represent elements if Pokemon we may never see in its poorly-represented series.

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Squirtle is Bae.

Speedy, small size, with some great tools like shellshifting and by extention hydroplaning, as well as a good aerial combo game and a strong grab game would make him a fun addition. He would miss DACUS's for sure though =(

Top Bottom