• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squeaky N64 Controller!?! Help Please!

Lendina

Smash Rookie
Whenever I take apart and then reassemble a N64 Controller, the plastic of the controller shell starts squeaking. Does anyone know how this is happening and/or how to prevent it.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
What do you mean the plastic starts squeaking?

When putting your analog back in, using clear tape on the bottom under the ball and above the shaft will stop the analog from squeaking. In my experience If I remember correctly.

IF you're controller case is the problem, meaning the triggers and Z button have a squeaky sound maybe you just didn't put your controller back together right, just take it apart and make sure everything is in place correctly.

If all else fails, you can just breath hot air on wherever the controller squeaks at and it should stop the noise.

Lendina

Smash Rookie
What do you mean the plastic starts squeaking?

When putting your analog back in, using clear tape on the bottom under the ball and above the shaft will stop the analog from squeaking. In my experience If I remember correctly.

IF you're controller case is the problem, meaning the triggers and Z button have a squeaky sound maybe you just didn't put your controller back together right, just take it apart and make sure everything is in place correctly.

If all else fails, you can just breath hot air on wherever the controller squeaks at and it should stop the noise.
Nah it's the front and back of the whole controller case that squeaks whenever I tightly grasp the controller. It wasn't happening before I Took it apart and put it back together

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Nah it's the front and back of the whole controller case that squeaks whenever I tightly grasp the controller. It wasn't happening before I Took it apart and put it back together
It's not screwed back properly.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
What are ways I could be screwing it incorrectly?
It's not tight enough, the parts inside are rubbing against the case. Pretty straight forward, take it apart again then put it back together.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
It's not uncommon. Seems a fair amount of players grease their sticks so they last longer.
Greasing your n64 analog will make it stick even longer, but it does heavily depend on your lube of choice and how you applied it.

The Teflon don hair grease will make ruin your controller.

Ceramic grease if using as little as possible, may possibly work.

I have hundreds of n64 controllers, when one breaks or messes up even slightly I literally just throw it away.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Greasing your n64 analog will make it stick even longer, but it does heavily depend on your lube of choice and how you applied it.

The Teflon don hair grease will make ruin your controller.

Ceramic grease if using as little as possible, may possibly work.

I have hundreds of n64 controllers, when one breaks or messes up even slightly I literally just throw it away.
I've not personally done it, but people such as Fireblaster have, and confirmed that it does make their controller last longer compared to leaving it alone as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5dF4gp7b8

Top Bottom