• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Square-Enix the reason for the SSBB delay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZbwoi

Smash Rookie
http://dpad.gotfrag.com/wii/story/41420/
http://gonintendo.com/?p=34648
Super Smash Bros Brawl has only been released in Japan for a short time. Already though, most of the important information has been shared by hardcore gamers who've played the game tirelessly these past few days. With the final roster having been revealed, there is a new rumor floating around the internet stating that the character Geno, from Super Mario RPG on the SNES was originally a character in Brawl. Supposedly, copyright issues arose between Nintendo and Square-Enix (who owns the character) and Nintendo was forced to remove Geno at a late stage of the games development, causing the original delay.

Those who have been following the development of Brawl extensively know that Masahiro Sakurai, the man himself regarding Smash Bros development, had a survey in Japan a few years back where he asked gamers what characters they would most like to see in Brawl. Every character in the top 10 of that list is in the game except Geno, who was the #1 character on the list.

IMDB.com lists the voice of Ness, Makiko Omoto, as doubling for the voice of Geno in the credited cast portion of its overview of the game. Finally, on the final character screen, there is an extra square to the far right where a "random select" box was implemented. Not only does it look somewhat out of place, it's placing is also interesting. Right underneath Snake and Sonic.

So, whether or not this rumor is true will have to be revealed to us by Nintendo, Square-Enix or by someone who worked on the project. But even with the lack of information gamers have been given by them, it all makes sense that Geno was originally intended to be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the reason that we all, worldwide aren't playing it right now is because that little detail didn't work out.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Brawls final roster has been revealed, I've watched a japanese player, live, get their last character, Wolf. The game then stated something that translates to, "You have unlocked all the characters, now the real brawl begins". Also, the disc has been ripped, and all characters information is displayed in the disc rip, there are no more characters.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Brawls final roster has been revealed, I've watched a japanese player, live, get their last character, Wolf. The game then stated something that translates to, "You have unlocked all the characters, now the real brawl begins". Also, the disc has been ripped, and all characters information is displayed in the disc rip, there are no more characters.
please stop posting in threads until you read it, thanks

CZbwoi

Smash Rookie
?
They're saying that Geno was part of the roster, then was removed due to contract issues, which is why Square-Enix might be part of one of the delays.

And the placing of Sonic, Snake, and then a random box seems sort of strange huh? Sort of like a spot for another 3rd party character DOWN THE LIST, removed and then in place of it put a random box...?

drengist

Smash Journeyman
Why would they put Geno in to the game without first making sure that they are allowed to?

Gerkuman

Smash Cadet
I don't think the rumour is true, for a very good reason. Would Square-Enix REALLY pass up the oppertunity to get more publicity and money from having Geno in there? I don't think so. The guy above me also has a very good point too.

I think this is just another instance of the Rumour train passing by the SSB station.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope this rumor is false. I'd almost die if I found out the reason the game was delayed was so they could take something OUT rather then putting something in.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the rumour is true, for a very good reason. Would Square-Enix REALLY pass up the oppertunity to get more publicity and money from having Geno in there? I don't think so. The guy above me also has a very good point too.

I think this is just another instance of the Rumour train passing by the SSB station.
Yes.

Because they can't make games with Geno.

Why SHOULD Square just donate a character if they can't make any money off it?

People want Geno to return, and people also want to play GoldenEye again. However, both were created by two companies who then became bitter enemies! Contrast this to Sega, who was once a bitter rival of Nintendo, but when Sega left the console business, they trusted Nintendo as being the console for their icon, and in time, Nintendo and Sega would trust each other enough to let the other work with their icon. Mario is in a Sega game, and Sonic is in a Nintendo game! And we got the match-up ALL gamers were waiting for. Mario vs. Sonic... Not only that we also got the best representation of their games' most iconic levels in Mushroomy Kingdom and Green Hill Zone! You could pit Mario in Green Hill Zone or Sonic in good old Level 1-1! Not only that, but you got all these iconic character in their own right like Link, Samus, Pikachu, and even Solid Snake! That is what DEFINES epic!

Gerkuman

Smash Cadet
Epsilon's right, otherwise we wouldn't have had the Final Fantasy games on GC, Wiiware and DS. Thats one thing I will commend SE for; they're very good at not being partisan about consoles. The Rare and Ninty argument though... that was silly. But when a 2nd-party company gets bought out by your rivals, it's going to happen.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Crazy.

it's like Puting Megaman in the game and THEN asking capcom, hey can we add megaman? lol, we already did.

Yeah right.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Square and Enix, despite being merged, are still separate companies, and if Square IS really in as good relations with Nintendo, then where's the numbered Final Fantasy on the Wii? Konami can at least claim that getting a Metal Gear Solid game on a Nintendo console is an odd happenstance, since there's only like four, two of which are non-canon, and two of which were remakes. Everything else is for the MSX2 and the PlayStations, except a port of MGS2 to Xbox. You see a bit of give and take between Square and Nintendo, but nothing major, and that's only because Iwata is the head of Nintendo now. Yamauchi wouldn't even give Square the time of day once they went over to PlayStation, and that's not because Square chose the PlayStation in general. It was because once Final Fantasy VII was a big success, they insulted Nintendo.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
S-E would let Geno in Brawl. If they let Geno in a cameo on SuperStar Saga, I don't see why he couldn't be in Brawl.

I think he might appear as a trophy.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
what! they are one in the same! i ment to say squenix in my post earlier. what makes u think they are seperate?! youve got your info very wrong.

NINTENDO AND SQUARE ENIX ARE IN EXTREMELY GOOD RELATIONS!

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Because the offices and operations of both Square and Enix are in different locations, and this is merely a mutual merger, where Enix help funds Square's projects in exchange for getting more publicity for Enix's games in the US, or at least, that's what I heard.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Because the offices and operations of both Square and Enix are in different locations, and this is merely a mutual merger, where Enix help funds Square's projects in exchange for getting more publicity for Enix's games in the US, or at least, that's what I heard.
No.

Most companies have seperate offices. These are referred to as "studios"

nintendo for instance has retro studios, they develop metroid prime

Rockstar has several studios in different locations. Rockstar North for example

The list goes on.

These studios are all under one company.

The merger was just that, a merger. Funds. Licenses. Employees. Lableing. All in one name.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
What A Load of ********
and what is it that u have to contribute?

Square Enix was formed as the result of a merger between rivals Square Co. and the Enix Corporation. On April 1, 2003, Enix legally absorbed Square, with Square stockholders receiving 0.85 shares of stock in the new company compared to Enix stockholders receiving a one-to-one trade. Despite this, many top officials within Square assumed leadership roles in the new corporate hierarchy, including Square president Yōichi Wada, who was appointed president of the new corporation. Square Enix is also one of the major pop culture icons in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix

Square Enix has regional operations, including Square Enix, Inc. (for all of North America) and Square Enix Ltd. (for Europe and other areas that use the PAL-television standard). In July 2003, Square Enix relocated their headquarters to Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I hope not, maybe one day through a DLC sort of thing we can get Geno.

But he's already in the game, just impossible to unlock until we do something with wifi.

That would be orgasmic.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
That this story is a load of ********
oh okay :p i thought you were referring to my statement. My apologies

I hope not, maybe one day through a DLC sort of thing we can get Geno.

But he's already in the game, just impossible to unlock until we do something with wifi.

That would be orgasmic.

he is not in the game....sheesh

here is a list of alllll characters in the brawl game

Fonz

Smash Ace
Well, the predictions that turned out to be true stated a 35 character roster months ago, and predicted the delay then as well and none mentioned Geno. I don't buy it, they wouldn't design a character without getting permission first.

Serebii

Serebii Owner
NNID
SerebiiJoe
Geno was never in the game. The 35 roster was decided, implemented & finished months before the delay was even conceived of

Theres too many rumours being spread to try and get people angry since people dont like the roster they wanna go and point fingers and go crazy

The random button is placed perfectly...where else would they have bloody put it

OMG its under Snake & Sonic...CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!!

Shark X

Smash Lord
This was already proven fake, on a topic around here actually I believe. Some Mario RPG fansite started it, then created his moveset. His final smash was the Landmaster, which confirmed it was all just one big joke.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
i fear posting the cd's contents will cause a "ZOMG ALLOY TEAM PLAYABLE!"
I heard you mention the 'Alloy' team in another thread. What is this? The characters from Multi Man Melee/Brawl? (or w.e the new name is).

And to this thread, I see where your coming from, and tbh if the story is true or not, its not important because hes not playable and its not on the CD contents. Atleast if it was on the CD it could be turned on by Wifi.

I have doubts he was included, but maybe the location of the random was where geno was intended but never happened.

Also how annoyed would people be if this story was true? There would be so many threads and flaming to Square Enix, I think its better off we dont know, and assume he was never created.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
*sighs* Wow. A SMRPG fansite makes a joke about that and it suddenly becomes a rumor.

>_>

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
TBH, I whatever it was - I'm glad he isn't in the game, why? Because he seemed like a useless character, end of.

Comon, Sonic being in Brawl is barely ANYTHING special, why? Cuz he's in pretty much every other game in every other platform anyway.

Snake is special, why? Because he is one of Sony's major Icons, just like Dante - sheer fact he's in Brawl gives the Nintendo fans a 'one up' against the sony fans as you'd never ever see Mario on a Sony platform.

The third place should have went to Capcom.

Shark X

Smash Lord
*sighs* Wow. A SMRPG fansite makes a joke about that and it suddenly becomes a rumor.

>_>
Yeah, I couldn't find the topic again (maybe it was on Gamefaqs, which means it's lost forever). But the guy who created the topic didn't read far enough to see the final smash to prove it was a joke, so he was flamed for it.

EDIT: Found it, proving this whole topic is pointless http://www.smrpglegacy.com/

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
regardless whether this is true or not, it makes me want to cry. And to think, i was just starting to be able to accept the roster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom