• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Square-Enix & Brawl

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Right now, Square-Enix is a highly successful company in the world of videogaming and possibly the leading one in RPGs. Therefore, it is not entirely outlandish to entertain the possibility of Nintendo welcoming one of its characters in a third-party slot. If such a thing were to occur, I see five possbilities for the company:

1. Geno
2. Sora
3. Character from the Nintendo half of Final Fantasy (I - VI)
4. Character from Dragon Quest
5. Crono

I´m not going to delve into Geno, because in his list Sakurai listed him as first-party. It could have been an honest mistake on his part, but until more is known I will abstain from jumping to conclusions.

Sora would make for an interesting character in Brawl, and luring the entirety of the Kingdom Hearts fan population toward Super Smash Bros. would theoretically be a very good business move. Personally I don´t think that Sora deserves a spot in this game, however; his only appearance on a Nintendo console was on a portable, as the most lackluster game of his franchise. Furthermore, if Nintendo were to let Sora in fans will begin to justify characters such as Cloud due to their negligible cameos in Chain of Memories, and that would really cross the limit.

Now, I think that the first half of Final Fantasy offers some very interesting character additions. My personal favorite to add would be Celes, from Final Fantasy VI. Why? Celes is an original character with a strong personality and the perfect build for Brawl, as well as a slew of magic spells and a sword at her disposal for both long and short-range combat. She´s a blade-wielding woman, which somewhat satisfies Fire Emblem 7 fans´ ardent desire for Lyn, and she fits the hawt girl archetype that is needed in fighting games in order to prevent more catastrophes like Zero-Suit Samus to occur. Finally, she´s a fairly realistic-looking character, giving battlers like Snake a less strange environment to be in, and she advertises the recently released Final Fantasy VI Advance as well as all the other GBA FF remakes before it, and to an extent FFIII for the DS. This isn´t to mention that she´s one of the more prominent character in what is believed to be the best Final Fantasy.

Here´s a possible moveset for Celes. It´s not extremely detailed, as currently I don´t have the time or hours of sleep for such an endeavor:

NEWCOMER
CELES

from Final Fantasy VI / Advance

STATS: (Out of 5)
Strength - *** (Refers to how much damage her A-Attacks do on average)
Weight - ** (Refers to how many hits are needed to send her flying)
Speed - **** (Refers to how quickly she can get across a stage)
Jump - *** (Refers to how high she can jump)

A-ATTACKS
Celes´ A-Attacks would primarily consist of her slashing at foes with her sword. The sword isn´t very long, so her moves wouldn´t have an outstanding range. As indicated by her Strength stat, Celes is averagely strong, and rather good at setting up combos. Her smash does considerable damage. Unlike other sword users, Celes doesn´t have a ´sweet spot´; hitting the foe with any part of her blade does the same damage.

B-ATTACKS
B - Ice :: Celes thrusts her sword into the ground in front of her, and a small, glowing blue rune will form on the floor where the blade was embedded. Keep holding B and the rune will rapidly travel forward across the floor of the stage (so long as there is floor). When you let go of B, Celes will lift her sword and three spikes of ice will burst out of the ground where the rune was, doing good damage and having a small chance of freezing foes. While using this attack, Celes needs to concentrate on the spell and can therefore not defend herself if hit until you let go of B.
B-Up - Haste :: Celes stops in midair (or wherever she is) for an instant and a circle composed of red energy lines pointing toward her appears. You then have a very small fraction of time in which you can direct her with the D-Pad, and she will then become a blur and move to the set destination in the blink of an eye (if no direction is inputted, Celes will go diagonally upward in the direction she is facing). If an enemy comes into contact with her, he/she will be damaged minimally and not even be phazed by the attack--as if they hadn´t noticed it.
B-Side - Safe :: Celes holds her blade out in front of her, and for a short moment an energy field forms around her. While the energy field is up, physical attacks do no damage, and the attacker is knocked back instead. This technique does not protect you from projectile damage, and has a short lag time after being used.
B-Down - Runic :: Celes holds her blade out in front of her, which glows blue for a short moment. If a projectile of any kind hits Celes while the blade glows, the projectile will recover the percentage that it was going to do with damage. Similar to Ness´ PSI Magnet, but you can´t keep it up indefinitely.

SUPER SMASH - Ultima :: The screen darkens as a massive orb of blue and black energy appears, crackling, above Celes´ upheld sword. She then jumps and rapidly flings it toward the center of the stage, provoking a massive explosion guaranteed to KO anyone caught in the center of it. The spread damage of the blast damages nearby battlers gravely and stuns those who were farther away.

I´m not the best at movesets, but I feel that would be an interesting one. Celes blocks, Celes absorbs, Celes attacks. Combined with her considerable speed and jump, I think that she could make a pretty fun character to play as.

Now, continuing with options. Dragon Quest would be a neat franchise to introduce into SSBB and I´m all for it; unfortunately, I don´t know enough about it to pick an appropriately deserving character. I know that Guts or Rocket Slime would be fun, but I don´t have the knowledge to make them fitting movesets.

Finally, a Chrono Trigger character would be a classic comeback at its finest. Up in the original list I put Crono, not because it´s only limited to him, but he´s by far the most likely one to get in if Square-Enix were to go with this franchise. Here´s a moveset, for Crono this time:

NEWCOMER
CRONO

from Chrono Trigger

STATS: (Out of 5)
Strength - **** (Refers to how much damage his A-Attacks do on average)
Weight - *** (Refers to how many hits are needed to send him flying)
Speed - *** (Refers to how quickly he can get across a stage)
Jump - ** (Refers to how high he can jump)

A-ATTACKS
Predicably enough, Crono enjoys a variety of sword slashes for his A-Attacks, but with some punching and kicking thrown into the mix for the sake of diversity. As his Strength rating indicates, he´s a pretty strong character, and not even the meekest of his slashes should be taken lightly. His smash attacks can be crippling, but he´s not too good at setting combos due to the intervals between his sword swings.

B-ATTACKS
B - Spin Cut :: Crono spins once while moving forward, slashing enemies in his path with his extended sword. If you press B at just the right time during the spin, you can trigger a second spin, and so on--the attack never ends so long as you don´t mess up with the timing. However, this becomes increasingly difficult as Crono´s Spin Cuts become quicker. The Spin Cut always does the same amount of damage, though. At full speed it becomes a nigh-inescapable combo.
B-Up - Cyclone :: Crono launches his sword diagonally upward, which stops in midair and continues spinning in place, creating cyclone winds that pull Crono upwards as well. While the sword does considerable damage for a B-Up attack, Crono himself does no damage to enemies as he is pulled upward. Average vertical and horizontal recovery.
B-Side - Lightning :: Crono holds his sword to about the height of his chest and assumes an offensive stance. Let go of B and the D-Pad at the same time to make a decently large, horizontal strike of lightning flash in front of Crono´s path, stunning and damaging those in range. Lightning doesn´t do more damage depending on how long you wait before using it; it simply grants the element of surprise, as it is a very quick attack when unleashed.
B-Down - Slash :: Crono lifts his sword above his head with both hands, and then brings it down in front of him with a powerful slash. Similar to the Falcon Punch or Warlock Punch, except that the charge time is about one-third as long, it doesn´t do quite as much damage, and knocks opponents down instead of sideways. A unique property of Slash is that it destroys items such as Crates and Barrels in one cut, and if timed well enough to hit a thrown item, it will instantly destroy it as well.

SUPER SMASH: Luminaire :: The screen darkens as Crono levitates, rising above where he was standing, his eyes flashing yellow. A moment later, a colossal ball of rolling thunder strikes the battlefield from above, directed at a random foe. While the unlucky victim is doomed to be KOed if he/she doesn´t dodge in time, the others aren´t entirely saved, as the grounded shockwaves will stun and damage them.

And that´s my take on some potential Square-Enix brawlers. Use this thread to comment on the possibilities of this company getting a character into Brawl, argue who it should or shouldn´t be if this were to be the case, post character movesets for Square-Enix characters, and so forth.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Of all the Final Fantasy I - VI characters you could have listed, why Celes? Sure her Runic ability was interesting, but that was really it. Terra would be a better representative of Final Fantasy VI, IMO, as she is the game's true protagonist and despite not getting the spotlight from the opera scene, I still found her to be a much more interesting character, not to mention her cool half-Espher abilities... How about Cecil, the main protagonist of Final Fantasy IV, who's one of the most complex and best developed characters in the entire series? But oh well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I still have a hard time picturing her as the representative of the series.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Final Fantasy is, unfortunately, best represented by a single character: Cloud Strife. This is, of course, due to sheer popularity. Nevertheless Cloud isn´t likely to appear in SSBB (and hopefully never will), and once you go past him and the rest of the FFVII cast, the franchise turns into a hazy collection of storylines, with few characters particularly standing out to the new gamer who has probably never played anything older than VII or VI.

I was originally going to pick Terra, but the problem with her is that her latent abilities would be difficult to translate over to Brawl. Celes seemed more likely to me, and she´s about as well-known. Cecil would admittedly be a good option too, though.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Final Fantasy is, unfortunately, best represented by a single character: Cloud Strife. This is, of course, due to sheer popularity. Nevertheless Cloud isn´t likely to appear in SSBB (and hopefully never will), and once you go past him and the rest of the FFVII cast, the franchise turns into a hazy collection of storylines, with few characters particularly standing out to the new gamer who has probably never played anything older than VII or VI.

I was originally going to pick Terra, but the problem with her is that her latent abilities would be difficult to translate over to Brawl. Celes seemed more likely to me, and she´s about as well-known. Cecil would admittedly be a good option too, though.
But thankfully, Cloud has no real chance of making the cut, being the poster-boy for the SONY era of Final Fantasy and Square's "Great Betrayal". I do understand that there quite difficulty in picking a single representative out of the Final Fantasy I - VI batch, as none of those games were 'one man shows' - the supporting characters had just as much a significant role to play in their respective stories as the main protagonists. Of course the main protagonists have the best shot, namely those from Final Fantasy IV - VI, and maybe Final Fantasy III, but anyone with a significant enough a role is still fair game...

Black/Light

Smash Master
I could see Sora getting in (Could say why but I don't feel like it), but he is Disney so he shouldn't be on this list.

Biosage X

Smash Apprentice
While I belive Geno has a great chance, but I dont recall him being first party, I believe the rights to him are owned by S/E. After that, I'd like to see Crono, but I just dont see it happening.
Celes, too, for that matter, she was easily one of my favorites from FFVI.

Kais

Smash Ace
While I belive Geno has a great chance, but I dont recall him being first party, I believe the rights to him are owned by S/E. After that, I'd like to see Crono, but I just dont see it happening.
Thank you.

Your signature has made my life worth living again.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
Sora's not going to happen. He's owned by Disney, not Square.
I don´t think that Sora will happen either, but certainly not because he´s owned by Disney. Disney´s all buddy-buddy with Nintendo as of now; they even created a new studio to work exclusively on games for them.

Black/Light said:
I could see Sora getting in (Could say why but I don't feel like it), but he is Disney so he shouldn't be on this list.
Sora being owned by Disney strikes me as odd, but I see.

Kais said:
Black Mage ftw n00bs.
I did a Black Mage moveset at some point, but he has no personality. I´d rather see one of the named protagonists with backgrounds.

Biosage X said:
Last time I checked Geno was Square-Enix too, but Sakurai listed him as first-party in his polls. He may have made a mistake, but still.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Geno is definitely 100% owned by Square. He's listed as so in the credits of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and I emailed Nintendo about it. Geno owned by Square.

Top Bottom