• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Splatoon's Inklings Get Smashified!

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Competitive Splatoon already -_-. Feels like nowadays people slap competitive on everything just to make a game out to be what its not.

I liked the Smashified though
People play the game differently from you. So what? It was never stated how the game is meant to be played. And it's not like competitive play is gonna affect the casual players in any way. Please take your resentment somewhere else.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People play the game differently from you. So what? It was never stated how the game is meant to be played. And it's not like competitive play is gonna affect the casual players in any way. Please take your resentment somewhere else.
I think the comment was more referring to how it's way too early to say Splatoon can be competitive, and this seems like people bigging it up to be more than it is.

Splatoon is impossible to play competitively right now. It's a team based shooter that lacks voice chat and the ability to form parties and stick with them. And it lacks an offline alternative.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
All I can say is, this looks pretty good and I'm continuing to enjoy their work.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
still waiting for Crash Bandicoot smashified :glare:, well, maybe next year, for his birthday :roll:
When I asked Omni about it they said they will get to him soon. He got the most votes on a Youtube video

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
What nonsense are you spouting? A day in to the game's release and people are trying to push this game as competitive when it's painfully obvious that this game was not designed to be competitive. Look at the facts.

1) No local multiplayer. How are you going to expect a competitive scene when the game does not allow you to make or choose your team?

2) The concept. The team with the most terrain painted wins. Interesting concept, if I would compare it to something it would be akin to a tower defense game but with less depth, so low in fact it's a good pick up and play game. The developers made the game perfectly for what it is. The only real depth I've seen is basically having one member sneak into the enemies base and try to cover as much terrain as they can in the last 15 seconds as a final push (ex. split pushing in League of Legends).

3) No option for voice chat/way of communicating with team. This is a team based game and while I can understand the removal of voice chat but why no VGS system? The developers clearly showed they were capable of doing it with the D-pad options but why make it limited and useless? How is saying "Booyah" going to help the team? Build morale?

4) Map rotations (better to call it map lock since they lock you out of maps for a period of time instead of using an actual rotation system). One of the most unjustifiable and stupidest thing I've seen in my life, it's up there with Brawl's tripping. Why Nintendo doesn't allow players freedom and try to limit them in the confines of their games is beyond me.

The reasoning for my post was not why is Splatoon competitive? It's how quickly Splatoon is trying to become competitive. Like I said before, not even 24 hours and people are pushing this game to be competitive. You are arguing about how people play the game. People can play a game however they want to play it, I'm just saying that Splatoon as of now has no competitive value in terms of a scene which is how I define competitive games.

tl;dr You are saying competitive games are defined by the people; I'm saying competitive games are defined by the scene. You insinuated I was resentful under no basis when I clearly don't feel negative about the situation (if anything I'm disappointed; disappointed in people ignoring the things staring them in the face regarding this game and disappointed in your post which translates to someone who sees Splatoon as competitive for no reason).

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
While I appreciate and respect the work, this was probably the least necessary Smashified. The Inklings already have near "Smashified" like renders that are up to date unlike the other characters who were either in a completely different style, or had obsolete renders from old games.

What's worse is that due to the fact that we have such up to date official renders, it actually kinda makes the Smashified versions look kinda...bad. Like compare them to the official renders, the Smashfied version looks noticeably worse, unlike the rest. I imagine if we got any previous Smashified character as actual DLC, they would have the same effect, but for now they are the best we have. Sorry Omni, while I won't say it;s your worst work because technically its as good as your other stuff overall, but the context just makes it your worst to look at

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
Can we get a character that doesn't already have smash-like renders? Such as Shantae or Isaac?
I hope you mean Isaac from Binding of Isaac, because while that'd be impossible, I never realized I needed a Smash 4 version of Isaac until now.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
While I appreciate and respect the work, this was probably the least necessary Smashified. The Inklings already have near "Smashified" like renders that are up to date unlike the other characters who were either in a completely different style, or had obsolete renders from old games.

What's worse is that due to the fact that we have such up to date official renders, it actually kinda makes the Smashified versions look kinda...bad. Like compare them to the official renders, the Smashfied version looks noticeably worse, unlike the rest. I imagine if we got any previous Smashified character as actual DLC, they would have the same effect, but for now they are the best we have. Sorry Omni, while I won't say it;s your worst work because technically its as good as your other stuff overall, but the context just makes it your worst to look at
I think all that is fair to say. Our mission for the series at the outset was to do the characters that people want, regardless of the logic behind them, but as we continue to get feedback from the community, we try to adapt and constantly evaluate whether or not we're making the right choices, and since it's been a pretty common sentiment that renders of characters with modern iterations, especially in 3D, aren't as necessary, we'll continue to let that feedback influence our future choices.

By no means to I regret doing the Inklings, but we'll certainly take these considerations into account for future installments. We always appreciate the people who are willing to voice their critical opinions in a constructive manner. =)

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I think all that is fair to say. Our mission for the series at the outset was to do the characters that people want, regardless of the logic behind them, but as we continue to get feedback from the community, we try to adapt and constantly evaluate whether or not we're making the right choices, and since it's been a pretty common sentiment that renders of characters with modern iterations, especially in 3D, aren't as necessary, we'll continue to let that feedback influence our future choices.

By no means to I regret doing the Inklings, but we'll certainly take these considerations into account for future installments. We always appreciate the people who are willing to voice their critical opinions in a constructive manner. =)
We love you Omni! :D

Crash Bandicoot soon plz <3

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825

TL;DR: Okay thanks for the feedback.

gyasim

Smash Cadet
NNID
gyasim
I hope you mean Isaac from Binding of Isaac, because while that'd be impossible, I never realized I needed a Smash 4 version of Isaac until now.
Isaac from Golden Sun, I don't know what Binding of Isaac is.

Top Bottom