• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirits mode and possible "out-of-the-box" characters

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
So i was thinking, if spirit mode is really a thing, it sounds like it would have a pretty dark tone based on what we've seen - especially with the Simon Belmont reveal. There could be some interesting characters that could be tied to spirit mode, and could be major enemies that you'd fight and could then unlock them as playable characters. I'm thinking about what characters could make sense as newcomers, and as characters we already know are in the game, and these are some I've come up with:

Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)- ive already wanted scorpion in smash for a long time, especially with Ruys entry, but ive always felt he'd be far fetched. But if spirit mode has a gritty feel, he'd be perfect. Hes a demon from hell, or "spirit", like a lot of Castlevanias enemies. He could be part of Ryus campaign, and ryu would have to face off against him by the end, and he could definitely steal someones soul at some point!

Nightmare (Soul Caliber) - ive been really back and forth with namco characters. Heihachi from tekken would be pretty cool, and he might make sense since he had a mii costume in smash4, but id really like to see someone from Soul Caliber. Nightmare is probably the most iconic character from the game, though there are a few others that would work great as well. Mitsurugi, Voldo, Maxi and many others could bring great variety to the game, but its a tough call. On top of it, I'm a big Goku supporter (who would be a Bandai character). But i digress lol. Nightmare would be perfect for spirits mode. He's from a game called soul caliber for one thing, his story involves the soul caliber itself, and his soul has been possessed (or something? i dont remember his full story lol). He could be a lost soul found somewhere in spirits mode that you have to defeat to unlock.

Akuma - akuma would be a great semi-clone of ryu. He can have a moveset that uses a lot of the same animations and assets as ryu, but things can be altered to make his moveset unique. Hadoken in the air could move at a downward angle, hurricane kick could end when b is released (so you can do shorter hurricane kicks). It can also be the version of the hurricane kick that hits enemies multiple times, rather than hitting them away after one hit. There are many other great possibilities for the rest of his attacks as well. Akuma would be perfect in this mode again since hes another demon or "spirit". Ryu could be involved in this campaign again, but things could also be mixed up a bit and another character could have to face off against him.

Skull Kid - well skull kid is basically a kind of forest spirit. So again, perfect! His inclusion is very speculated right now, so i feel this would make perfect sense.

Ganondorf (becoming decloned) - in Ganondorfs campaign, he could be on a quest to retrieve the triforce of power. In the process he could have to face off against evil spirits - and perhaps a shadow link or shadow Ganondorf by the end. Once completing his campaign, you can unlock an alternate moveset for Ganondorf making him the great king of evil, and giving him a moveset based off of OOT and other zelda games.

Young Link (becoming decloned) - young links campaign could have to do with skull kid and majoras mask. In the same process of unlocking skull kid, young link could get an alternate moveset where he can cycle through masks. He'd need to achieve this ability in order to defeat skull kid by the end of the campaign.

Now for the characters we already know are in that would particulairly work well for the mode:

Bayonetta - Since shes a witch and all, she could have a lot to do with spirits. She could have a story where she summons spirits or is trying to get rid of them. Either way she really works well for this kinda thing.

Simon and Richter Belmont - I mean obviously lol

Dark samus - not exactly a spirit, but she is an evil version of samus, so this could be a good place to include her for a story.

Dark link - this would just be a costume of normal link. but there can be a campaign that involves this skin just for story purposes.

Dark meta knight - another evil version of a character. im not actually a fan of the idea of including him as an echo (ive heard rumors he could be an echo), i would prefer this as a palate swap ike dark link for story purposes.

Other villains already in the game could make sense for this mode too, but they arent really dark spirits. Bowser, dedede, king k rule, etc are villans, but theyd make more sense in a more simple light hearted story vs a story having to do with spirits. Im sure theyd be included in this mode anyway, but thats just my take. Maybe they can be included more as characters teaming up with the evil spirits in order to gain power, or maybe they could even decide that the spirits are too powerful, and they could join the good guys. But the above characters i listed i feel really would shine in a spirits mode, and the mode would really create a good setting for their inclusion.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Dark pit - This is a great mode to showcase him in since hes an evil version of pit and being possessed by evil spirits/being an evil spirit is part of his shtick.
That is not part of Dark Pit's shtick at all.

Dark Pit straight up isn't evil.

He's an anti hero at worst and helps Pit on numerous occasions. He's not an evil spirit and was never possessed by an evil spirit either. He's a copy made in a mirror.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

He's an anti hero at worst and helps Pit on numerous occasions.
Oh really? well thats my bad lol. i dont know his story that well i guess. I assumed he was an evil version of pit, or at least hes pit but more bad? no? like buu and evil buu etc?

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

He's an anti hero at worst and helps Pit on numerous occasions. He's not an evil spirit and was never possessed by an evil spirit either. He's a copy made in a mirror.
Besides correcting my Noob mistake, did you have any other comments, or any ideas to add to this? hahah

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Besides correcting my Noob mistake, did you have any other comments, or any ideas to add to this? hahah
I think you're taking the name spirits a bit too literally. If we look at the bosses in the game right now, I don't think it'll be dark at all.

Sure we have Dracula, but we also have Rathalos, which isn't very dark or spirited related at all.

We can probably bet on Yellow Devil and Metal Face too since they're still bosses in their respective stages.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I think you're taking the name spirits a bit too literally. If we look at the bosses in the game right now, I don't think it'll be dark at all.

Sure we have Dracula, but we also have Rathalos, which isn't very dark or spirited related at all.

We can probably bet on Yellow Devil and Metal Face too since they're still bosses in their respective stages.
So why do u think its called spirits then? I got the feeling everyones been thinking the game would involve spirits - which makes sense if its called spirits lol. I mean surely it doesnt have to be 100% spirits, but if that is the theme, characters like these would fit in no?

Unless you're interpreting the name "spirits" differently?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So why do u think its called spirits then? I got the feeling everyones been thinking the game would involve spirits - which makes sense if its called spirits lol. I mean surely it doesnt have to be 100% spirits, but if that is the theme, characters like these would fit in no?

Unless you're interpreting the name "spirits" differently?
Spirit of the character, not the spooky kind.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like the ghost of the character like luigi right?
Err... no.
That's the spooky dead kind.

I mean that the mode will probably work with the spirit of each series, as in the main identifying points of each IP.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Err... no.
That's the spooky dead kind.

I mean that the mode will probably work with the spirit of each series, as in the main identifying points of each IP.
That's a good way of looking at it. But everyone's speculation has kinda been more in the direction of saving luigis soul n stuff so I ccame up with this lol

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
As for "out-of-the-box" spirit characters, how about Fi? Not exactly how she would function in terms of the story but running with your "evil spirits hunting the main characters of the represented universes", perhaps she could be Link's guardian.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
nah, this will be a bar simulator and we will see everyone drinking their problems away and having some funny dialogues ...

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
As for "out-of-the-box" spirit characters, how about Fi? Not exactly how she would function in terms of the story but running with your "evil spirits hunting the main characters of the represented universes", perhaps she could be Link's guardian.
Oh that could work for sure. I dont know how much id care to have her as a character lol but the theme doesnt have to be all badass demon spirits. I just gravitate towards those kinds of characters. I mean even pac mans ghosts could be a part of this in some way. Not as playable fighters, but as some kind of prop for story telling.

Im really trying hard to think of spirit like characters who are more upbeat but im lost lol. If you have any other ideas please do tell

nah, this will be a bar simulator and we will see everyone drinking their problems away and having some funny dialogues ...
This took me a second to process and then I burst out laughing. Well done sir.

Top Bottom