• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spirits In Competitive Play?

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
What do you all think of incorporating spirits into competitive play as a separate event?

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that it replace singles, doubles, or anything else. This is also, not a debate on the likeliness of spirits being used in competitive play. This is simply a discussion on whether or not you think spirits SHOULD BE competitive, and why or why not.

I, for one, think they would be a great addition to competitive play. Spirits can potentially offer a lot of depth and fun to this game in a very different way than normal competitive rules would. Many matches (for better or worse) would be unpredictable, more chaotic, and would require a lot of metagaming. The rpg elements could attract a very different audience to competitive play, as well as casuals. It would also give the salty players something fun to do after they get knocked of losers. Lol.

If you are for spirits in competitive play, how should the be implemented? Normal competitive rules? Items on? Free for all? Smash meter on? Rage on? The possibilities are endless.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Probably would end up the same way as custom moves: setups wouldn't be able to unlock them all, and people wouldn't like the jank of an unbalanced battle system.

It could be a side-event, but it's not exactly an easy event to start due to the amount of unlockables, training required to level up spirits, and so on.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
If they gave the ability to register your Spirits builds to a joycon or something I could see it working, but otherwise, it suffers badly from logistics issues like customs did.

It also remains to be seen just how drastically Spirits effect your fighter's strength, as well, because custom equipment in Smash 4 was just silly when certain builds could OHKO all but the tankiest of custom set-ups.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
One thing kind of debunks this.

Spirit Levels

You can level up spirits which change the stat boosts. That screws with everything. Even if TOs can centralize a level for all spirits, it still feels like a very hard grind to get them all to where they need to be.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Not super related, but the worst thing about custom movesets was that they lumped Equipment in as if they were the same thing. I just wanted to play with all the new move variations they added but I had to deal with a lightning fast Dedede and super jumping Ganondorf as well.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The explicit rock-paper-scissors relationship of Spirits is going to wreak havoc on competitive matchups... I can't see Spirits being permitted in competitive play.

Last edited:

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
I wouldn't hold playing with spirits to the same standard normal competitive matches or customs.

If it were to exist alongside singles and doubles it would be it's own separate thing. Of course skill would a huge determining factor but at least 50% would be character building. Yes, you would have janky stuff happening, getting forward smashed at 0 and dying, building your smash meter in like 15 seconds, or recovering health every time you taunt, etc.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
If Spirit battle tournaments do become a thing, they should be treated like competitive Pokemon tournaments. You put in the time to level up your spirits and find the right configuration. It's the Pokemon equivalent of grinding your team to 100 and spending countless hours breeding the old-fashioned way. Make tiers for Spirit effects. Have a Spirit rules committee if you need to.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
If Spirit battle tournaments do become a thing, they should be treated like competitive Pokemon tournaments. You put in the time to level up your spirits and find the right configuration. It's the Pokemon equivalent of grinding your team to 100 and spending countless hours breeding the old-fashioned way. Make tiers for Spirit effects. Have a Spirit rules committee if you need to.
That's something like what I'm talking about. You have to look at the idea of using spirits as it's own entity.

Top Bottom