• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spin Dash Cancel to Shield Grab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Something I've noticed about Sonic players in both Brawl and Smash 4 is how they always cancel their Spin Dashes with a shield as a fakeout tech. I never really found it to be anything more than that. However, I found a way to use this technique offensively.

What you do is just simply run forward then activate side b then immediately cancel it into a shield grab. What this does is give Sonic a slide during the grab section, and the game treats it like a standing shield grab. Another thing to point out is how much better it is than your dash grab. Like most dash grabs, Sonic's dash grab has a ton of ending lag and is punishable when missed. But canceling Spin Dash into a shield grab goes a further distance, has more range due to said distance, and has much less ending lag to make it much safer against your opponent. One thing I need to point out is that you need to get Sonic into his full running animation to get this to work otherwise you won't go any distance.

In case you're wondering, no, just doing a shield grab while running will not be the same technique because if you're too fast, it may respond as a dash grab instead of a sliding grab. Another thing I'd say is use the A button when using a shield grab because I find it easier that way. If this is confusing at all, I'll make a video about it in the future.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Q: Can Sonic still shield cancel his Side-B (Spin Dash)?
A: Yes! Just hit shield at any point before it's fully-charged and it will cancel. This grants Sonic less commitment to his approach and opens up more bait options. Performing this during a run can allow for interesting mechanics, primarily focused around Sonic's ability to initiate a standing grab with various different properties. Utilities for Spin Dash Shield Cancel include...
  1. Spin Dash Shield Cancel Pivot Grab = By running and inputting Side-B in the opposite direction, Sonic will face that position and start charging Spin Dash... Which can be canceled with shield into a grab, returning Sonic to a neutral state to perform a pivot standing grab.
  2. Spin Dash Shield Cancel Boost Grab = Extends the range on Sonic's boost grab, but performs a standing grab out of neutral instead.
  3. Spin Dash Shield Cancel Pivot Boost Grab = Exactly what you think it is. Combine the two above elements together and you get an extra slide on your spin dash shield cancel pivot grab.

Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/sonic-guide-faq-ask-questions-here-updated-8-18-15.371222/

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom