• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spiking Tips

Gotham7

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody give me some tips on spiking? Sometimes I just plummet to my death and I miss hitting the opponent a lot.

neji49

Smash Cadet
I was just about to make a topic on this... how conicidental. Anyways I'm new at Falco's advanced strategies so I'm having trouble setting up his spike. I don't even know ho it worked in melee and so Brawl's going to be hard to figure out on my own. Does anybody have any exact setups for spiking?

The true_blade

Smash Cadet
Man i need this info 2 i miss my spikes alot but it seems like they work best when facing away from oponnent and their coming from above

Pengie

Smash Lord
For me the easiest way is to jump off of the stage, use my second jump and then use my D-air while rising.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
In the thread, I explain exactly how the d-air's hitbox works. Take a look at that, it'll clear things up. Go into training mode and practice it.

perezo

Smash Cadet
spiking

Yeah i know what you mean, the ting is you want to always jump off the ground once and try to spike the person, i finally got familiar with the melee spike but know the made a sweetspot. Anyways just try to spike, double jump back, and side-b or up-b back on. Also quickly snap the controller, if you don't you just fastfall to your doom....

Dacman

Smash Rookie
you can also spike w/ side-B. double jump off the stage on a horizontal plane and side B back when the opponent is rising. I like this one because no one expects it and its pretty fast. it much harder to do than dair spike, simply because theres a good chance you will miss or get hit by opponent's up-B recovery.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
I mainly use it against UpB's, or when opponent is off-stage. What I dont like is if you dont hit them when you initiate the move, they will go away from you and slightly up, so they could still live.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
The best way to do it is to short hop off the ledge, then use your second jump and when you're above your opponent, use your dair. It work everytime, as long as you don't get hit by their recovery move. Also don't try to spike against a Link because it is nearly impossible to get in between his blades and spike him.

Also I thougth his Dair as a meteor smash.

Also Dacman, can you PM me some tips for using your side B as a spike?

neji49

Smash Cadet
I've looked at his thread. Several times actually, it's been helpful but my problem with spiking isn't really hitting with the spike persay, it's more of getting to my target. If you short hop of the stage will your second jump carry you far enough?Also, what percentages are ideal for spiking? Finally, should you spike somebody below the stage? Itry and I almost always suicide(even on the rare occasions the spike connects). Thanks

Codi

Smash Ace
>For me the easiest way is to jump off of the stage, use my second jump and then use my D-air while rising

same here :p

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
Your dair should be preformed exactly when your secondary jump is performed. That way you can recover as soon as your dair and secondary jump return to neutral position. If you do it too late, you will be too low/too far away for a phantasm/fire bird.

Also, dair is a spike; phantasm is a meteor smash. Just clearing things up.

Ceruvik

Smash Cadet
Quick question: What's the difference between a spike and a meteor smash? BTW you can spike after chaingrabbing.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I had a lot of trouble setting up my spikes so that the opponent actually went downward rather than slightly up and away too. But now, I can usually pull it off when an opponenet is recovering and is pretty close by shorthopping off the edge and while you're still going up hitting down on the c-stick. I think somebody else mentioned this in a guide, but you want to hit them with falco's shins to get the full spike effect.

Top Bottom