• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spikes! Counters!

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
The following characters do not have aerial attacks that are both spikes and do not cause the user to quickly fall down: :4bowser: :4drmario::4fox: :4greninja: :4lucario: :4pacman: :4peach: :4pikachu: :4sheik::4sonic: :4tlink: :4wario:
The following characters do not have aerial attacks that are spikes: :4drmario: :4fox: :4lucario: :4pacman: :4peach: :4pikachu: :4wario:
The following characters do not have spikes anywhere in their default movesets: :4drmario: :4fox: :4lucario: :4pacman: :4wario:
The following characters do not have spikes anywhere in their moveset, including custom moves: :4drmario: :4lucario: :4wario:

Nintendo does not like characters that end in -ario other than Mario... Conspiracy!?

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
When it comes to counters, I would complain...If this was Melee. But it's not.

Their is a friggin' tier list of counters though as each counter varies in effectiveness.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There are definitely too many Counters, but you can never have too many spikes.

D

Deleted member 269706

I dig all of these spikes, I'd honestly say we have a pretty reasonable amount of them. The amount of counters on the other hand is quite out of hand, but I honestly don't really see the problem. They're relatively easy to bait out and punish, and hardly ever come out in high level play.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I love when I'm playing a scrub tier marth/ike player and I'm waiting for him to fall and is charging my up smash and he counters. Cant explain how satisfying it is to hit him with semi/full charged up smash. And about Spikes.. As long as no character has one that's too easy to land I'm fine. I enjoy stage spiking more tho. Falco's bair is love <3

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Spikes? But of course there are a lot of them cuz they're perhaps the most satisfying kill moves in the game. Counters? Well, you're just over exaggerating about those.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Well as the number of characters grow, of course the number of counters and spikes will increase, as far as the ratio of spikes to characters has grown, id say that they were almost demanded from the players because they are arguably the most satisfying KO you can get. They are like a slam dunk in basketball, hell Mario's F-air LOOKS LIKE A DUNK. He slams his fist down with the force of 1000 shaq's. While I agree that the ratio of counters and spikes to characters has indeed increased, I don't think this is a bad thing. It allows more characters to get fancy flashy kills instead of just captn falcon or marth. It allows more characters to more effectively edge guard and therefore advances the meta. counters seem to do just the opposite. Counters are a tool used more frequently in the neutral and are associated more with defensive play. They also serve as a counter (see what I did there lol) to combo heavy players who just auto pilot their combos without thinking. It forces you to think before mindlessly going agro with combos.

Top Bottom