• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Speedy/Norris Monthly NA Tournament 3: Tournament today at 2:00 PM Central Time!

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280

Hey guys! We are back with our first Tournament of 2015, and this time we are bringing it to the Wii U! It is North America only. Here are the rules for the tournament:
-It will be a 16-person tournament.
-It will be a double elimination Tournament.
-Stocks are to be set at 3, and each set of matches will be best of 3 up to the semi finals.Semi finals onward are best of five.
-Any Character can be used by anyone, but once you use it for the first match, you are locked into that character permanently.
-Custom moves are allowed, but no equipment!
-Counter picking rules do apply:

*Simplified version*
  1. The person on the top section of the Challonge bracket will pick a stage to strike a netural stage first,
  2. The second person bans another neutral stage.
  3. You continue to flip flop until one neutral stage remains.
  4. After this, the banning resets. The winner of the previous match bans three stages (any combination of counter-pick or neutral stages).
  5. Then, the loser chooses the stage to play on.
  6. You repeat rules 4 and five until all matches are complete.
  7. HOWEVER, YOU CANNOT CHOOSE A STAGE THAT YOU HAVE WON ON WHEN COUNTER PICKING!
-Stage List:

Starter stages:
Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega Stages
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

Counter-pick:
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Skyloft
Kongo Jungle
Delfino
Castle Siege

-Participants must check in 48 hours before tournament.

These are the major rules. I may be forgetting some, but I will add those when problems come up. Here are the requirements for entering the tournament:
-Riadcall is required. It makes counter picking quicker and allows everyone to speak in one place. Sorry Mac users. If you find a better text based group chat that doesn't eliminate anyone, please tell me.
-You must also have a Challonge account for being able to sign up in the tournament.
-We will need your friend code.
-we will need your Challonge and Raidcall name too.

The nice thing is that we actually have a streamer this time! So you will only have to enter his friend code! He is @ Nammy12 Nammy12 , and his information will be added to this stream in the near future.

One last thing. In order for this tournament to run smoothly, I may need some assistance keeping everything under control in Raidcall and on Challonge. Basically, I need two people to volunteer, one to help make sure the bracket is correct and the other to moderate Raidcall. They cannot be in the tourney, so this could be more for people who were too late in joining it.
The Tournament will be held at 2:00 PM Central Time Zone on January 17th. Sign up are today at 2:00 PM Central Time Zone.
WINNER RECEIVES A $10 ESHOP CARD!
HERE IS THE SIGN UP! http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/GhrCMpUKbY

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I will make this prettier in due time. BRACKET IS RANDOMIZED

Nammy12's Information:
NNID: Nammy12
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/nammy12/profile

People signed up:
Anthony Kline
Challonge: GoldWinchester
Raidcall: frozenfire12
NNID: GoldWinchester
Character: :4ness:

Captain Norris
Challonge: Captain_Norris
Raidcall: Capatin Norris
NNID:ZeldaFan3280
Character: :4yoshi:

MJO1450
Challonge: MJO1450
Raidcall: MJO1450
NNID: MJO1450
Character: :4olimar:

ProtomanVX
Challonge: PDude
NNID: CaptainPDude
Raidcall: PDude

Merged
Challonge: aerooo
NNID: aerooo
Raidcall: Merged
Character: :4shulk:

Gotohellcadz
Challonge: Scootcadz
NNID: Scootcadz
Raidcall: Gotohellcadz
Character: :4dedede:

Brosmasher
Challonge: Brosmasher
NNID: Hamooz1144
Raidcall: brosmasher
Character: :4sonic:

Bigheadfrankie
Challonge: Bigheadfrankie
NNID: Bigheadfrankie
Character: :4drmario:

Marvinthebest
Challonge: Marvinthebest
Nnid: creecher11
Raid call: creature

LinkMan1871
Challonge: LinkMan1871
NNID: LInkMan1871
Raidcall: LinkMan1871
Character: :4yoshi:

Speed
Challonge: Speedshocker
NNID: Nightdazer
Character: :mewtwopm: ...I mean, :4darkpit:

Spirst
Challonge: Spirst
NNID: Spirst
Character: :4duckhunt:

Frededish
NNID : Frededish
Challonge : Frededish
Raidcall: Frededish
Character: :4mario:

Last edited:

MJO1450

Smash Rookie
NNID
MJO1450
Challonge: MJO1450
Raidcall: MJO1450
NNID: MJO1450
Character: Olimar

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I updated the second post. Some people still need to get their info in, and we are far from 16 people.
Also, where is everyone from the last tournament?

Gotohellcadz

Smash Rookie
Character: King dedede.

*EDIT* Will commentators be present during the stream?

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Whoa! Sweet guys! I am happy about those who gave me their info... but there is still tons who have not! If you know anyone on hte list, please tell the to give me their information. Otherwise I will be forced to take them off the tournament.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Character: King dedede.

*EDIT* Will commentators be present during the stream?
Sorry for double post, but I do not think we will have a commentator at this time. Sorry! But, Cobbs, or @Conda on here, may be commentating AFTER the tournament.

LinkMan1871

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkMan1871
Challonge: LinkMan1871
NNID: LInkMan1871
Raidcall: LinkMan1871
Character: Mario (Maybe)

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
IF YOU HAVE SIGNED UP FOR THIS TOURNAMENT BUT HAVE NOT FILLED OUT THE INFORMATION, YOU NEED TO DO SO IN 3 HOURS. OTHERWISE, YOU WILL BE TAKEN OFF.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
If you don't mind me asking, can you explain stage rules, not familiar with these.
ah yes. I am sorry, but it is pretty late. I will add those in tomorrow. Thank you for reminding me.
In short, there are are a number of neutral stags. You end up each striking one of the neutral stages until you get down to the final one, and you then play on it. Winner will then strike counter pic or neutral stages, and then loser chooses a stage. Counter picks are used more for advantages.

Skullgrabber

Smash Rookie
Hey looks like they're 20 people signed up and I'd love to sign up too. Can you increase the amount to 32 entrants we have 4 days left so I'm sure people would join.

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Hey looks like they're 20 people signed up and I'd love to sign up too. Can you increase the amount to 32 entrants we have 4 days left so I'm sure people would join.
Pretty sure some participants are going to be kicked for not providing the info needed to join, so you have a good chance of getting in, you just need to provide your info, but I doubt it will be bumped up to 32. (Atleast not this month.)

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Pretty sure some participants are going to be kicked for not providing the info needed to join, so you have a good chance of getting in, you just need to provide your info, but I doubt it will be bumped up to 32. (Atleast not this month.)
yep I am actually in the process of kicking people right now. And I will get to the stage list and such next.
If I accidentally kick you and you were going to submit your info, please give me your information.

32 people was the standard the last two tournaments, and due to so many inexperienced players,, it went for an extremely long time. We are seeing how 16 people work out this go around.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Challonge: Spirst
NNID: Spirst
Character: :4duckhunt:
Whoa Duck Hunt? Wasn't expecting him! Sweet!!
Here is the information you wanted (although many rules will not apply)
This is just copy/paste from something I wrote up awhile ago but here ya go, it's basically what we've been using for all smash games for awhile (read: YEARS) now. Rule 7 is subjective, though, so it's up to you to choose how many bans are adequate for whatever number of stages you run.. Also, look into Full List Stage Striking (which means you strike from all legal stages rather than just "starter" stages).

Set Procedure

1. Player Priority is determined if it cannot be determined (see below)
2. Each player selects one controller port
3. Each player selects one character. A double blind pick may be called by either player
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List through the Stage Striking Method. The order of Stage Striking will be 1-2-1 (Player 1 strikes one stage, Player 2 strikes two stages, Player 1 strikes one stage and the match is played on the remaining stage)
5. The first match is played
6. The player that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports
7. The player that won the previous match may announce X "Stage Bans"
nb. With 8 or fewer legal stages 1 stage ban is allocated, with 9 or greater legal stages 2 stage bans are allocated
8. The player that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by either player may not be selected. A player may not counterpick to the last stage they have won on in the current set
9. The player that won the previous match chooses their character
10. The player that lost the previous match chooses their character
11. The next match is played
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all remaining matches in the set

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Players will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever player does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Misc. Rules

1. The Gentleman Rule: Players may play on any stage, including banned stages, if all players in the match agree to it. If there is a dispute, standard procedure is followed.
2. The Colourblind Rule: During doubles matches, a player on either team can elect to have the opposing team change either their team colour or their characters's palette swap so that they match (eg. players on Blue Team must use Blue colours for their character)

If the stage selection bit isn't clear I'll put it in less formal terms.

Start with an odd number of stages to strike from (preferably 5, 9, 13 or 17), turn them on in random stage select/write on paper/whatever
5 stages striking procedure = 1-2-1
Player 1 turns off 1 stage
Player 2 turns off 2 stages
Player 1 turns off 1 stage/chooses from the remaining two stages which to play on.

For 9:
1-2-2-2-1 (P1 P2 P1 P2 P1)

etc

after game 1 the winner bans a number of stages and the loser picks from the rest

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Stage list added:
Starter stages:
Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination/Omega Stages
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

Counter-pick:
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Skyloft
Kongo Jungle
Delfino
Castle Siege

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
NNID : Frededish
Challonge : Frededish
Have to confirm this when I get home from work, but I'm pretty sure my Raidcall is Frededish too.

I'll be playing either fox or mario. I'll decide soon

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
@ Nammy12 Nammy12 @ LDSenpai LDSenpai @ MJO1450 MJO1450 @ ProtomanVX ProtomanVX @ Merged Merged @ Gotohellcadz Gotohellcadz @ B brosmasher @ bigheadfrankie bigheadfrankie @ M marvin the best @ LinkMan1871 LinkMan1871 @ Spirst Spirst @ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed
ALL OF YOU MUST BE PRESENT 1 HOUR BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT IN ORDER TO SORT OUT ANY ROBLEMS.

Also, we are gonna make stage striking a lot easier sine many of you guys are new here. read below the rules.

The list of stages stays the same.
  1. The person on the top section of the Challonge bracket will pick a stage to strike a netural stage first,
  2. The second person bans another neutral stage.
  3. You continue to flip flop until one neutral stage remains.
  4. After this, the banning resets. The winner of the previous match bans three stages (any combination of counter-pick or neutral stages).
  5. Then, the loser chooses the stage to play on.
  6. You repeat rules 4 and five until all matches are complete.
  7. HOWEVER, YOU CANNOT CHOOSE A STAGE THAT YOU HAVE WON ON WHEN COUNTER PICKING!
EVERYONE MUST ALSO HAVE NAMMY12'S NNID INFORMATION, AS EACH MATCH WILL BE STREMAED BY HIM. YOU DO NOT NEED THE OPPONENT'S NNID! NAMMY, YOU MUST ALSO ENTER ALL THE PARTICIPANT'S NNIDS!
Finally, I gotta say, we are in need of some more players. I really do not want to have only 12 people particiapting, but if that is how it is, that is how it will go.

Cody100

Smash Cadet
Dang, I wish this was a few hours later or on Sunday! I'm going to be busy in the early afternoon tomorrow. :(

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Dang, I wish this was a few hours later or on Sunday! I'm going to be busy in the early afternoon tomorrow. :(
Aw that stinks. Although it begins at 2:00 Central Time, it is possible your set of matches will be happening much later, depending on where you are in the standings.

Top Bottom