• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'SPAM' is an inaccurate term when used in Smash

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Link to original post: [drupal=1181]'SPAM' is an unaccurate term when used in Smash[/drupal]

This is bothering me.

SPAM is an acronym, standing for Stupid Pointless Annoying Moves. People are always using the term innacurately.

The other day, I was playing Meta Knight, my friend was Peach. I kept using the Tornado, and he complained, "Stop spamming the Tornado!"

The repetion of the move was 'stupid' in the sense that it was annoying/took little skill, and it certainly was annoying, but pointless? Is racking up damage and bursting through turnips pointless? I think not.

I hereby say that we begin using the term 'sam' or 'am' in place of 'spam.'

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
GOD ZOOK, STOP AM'ING. :mad:

I can't get used to that. I propose nobody use the same move, thus solving the complaining problem. In fact, everyone use Ganondorf.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Stop samming?
Stop amming?

I like it.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
spam also means abusing a certain move repetitively. Spam isn't even defined in here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749. So, unless the community unanimously decided to define spam in that way, I always thought that acronym was meant for messaging. (Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages) I could be wrong though, but thats what I've always used it for

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tornado IS annoying so I fail to see how using it over and over is not spam.

Mith_

Smash Champion
He meant take out the P for Pointless, so it would be sam.

My friends are ******** and don't know what spam means.

One thinks that spam is a bad move (dash attack for example.)
One thinks it is being very fast (a good melee fox for example?)

so lame =/

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Some people really overuse the term spam or have yet to see what spamming truly is.

...Chaco, wtf?!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Spam was initially derived from advertisements for Spam meat...the acronym was adapted later. (And in this case, derived from its initially obtained acronym, Stupid Pointless Annoying Message.)

Nonetheless, while spam can be rather overwhelming and done a lot to the point of annoyance, it's a pretty derivative meaning. So I would be inclined to agree that it's not really an accurate term.

But people are going to be using it anyways, and I wouldn't really blame them. There is no official term in the English language for using a move in a fighting game repeatedly, since video games didn't exist when the language was created, so we have to come up with our own terms. I really don't care either way, although I don't want people going off about incorrect terminology every five seconds like they do with "hardcore" in reference to gamers. Nor would I want elitists going off about how they should use the terminology which has been adapted.

kr3wman

Smash Master
When you use a move over and over again, it stales the move, so yes, it's spam.

Now stop spamming.

Top Bottom