• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spacing

v3x?

Smash Journeyman
Spacing:
A term i've seen everywhere. I know it doesnt take a genious to figure out what spacing is. But i'm really starting to get better again, and i never explored spacing. I know it's essential to have good spacing if you want to use mindgames succesfully. But my problem is my spacing is always... Either too close or too far - very rarely will i be in the perfect position to execute an attack on someone i've succesfully 'mindgamed'. I'm wondering if there's anyway to practise correct spacing?

Im fully away spacing will be different on each character, most importantly marth (and as a fox player its even more important lol) So is it just experience? Playing as many people you know? Practise etc, or are there little things that can help a person?

I play a few different mindsets, and can switch with ease - but i find myself constantly mucking up becuase of spacing. For example, if i make a marth forward smash, im always in the wrong range for a JC grab, on the spot is too far, dash JC is too far etc. And if i go to dash dance into the grab to get the right distance, the lag has worn off the marth and i'll get chaingrabbed again :(

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Fox can't do much when spaced. Falco has his laser that actually knock back, Fox is more of a "in you face character".

tshahi10

Smash Ace
fox does not need spacing, he has shines
falco has shines and shl
marth needs spacing

to begin learning how to space, try fake outs
or hit behind the person so they cant sheild grab
then/or pillar with falco

g0nz02

Smash Apprentice
For each character, as you said, it's different. However, the way I like to think of spacing is hitting them with a shuffle'd C. Falcon nair without the possibility of getting shield grabbed if you whiff. To me, that's ideal.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
fox does not need spacing, he has shines
falco has shines and shl
marth needs spacing

to begin learning how to space, try fake outs
or hit behind the person so they cant sheild grab
then/or pillar with falco

Umm...I hope you're kidding. Using spacing with Fox and Falco is just as beneficial as it is with almost any other character. Pillaring random aerials into shines doesn't quite do the trick sometimes. That's one of the main reasons why pro Falcos and Foxes use spaced n-airs and b-airs so oftenly. And even with pillaring, you still have to space the aerial to make sure the shine hits, or you get shield grabbed after you miss with it.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Umm...I hope you're kidding. Using spacing with Fox and Falco is just as beneficial as it is with almost any other character. Pillaring random aerials into shines doesn't quite do the trick sometimes. That's one of the main reasons why pro Falcos and Foxes use spaced n-airs and b-airs so oftenly. And even with pillaring, you still have to space the aerial to make sure the shine hits, or you get shield grabbed after you miss with it.

Wow you must be a pretty sucky player to get grabbed after a shine spike. Thats why they invited the jump cancel homo face.

pdk

Smash Lord

Wow you must be a pretty sucky player to get grabbed after a shine spike. Thats why they invited the jump cancel homo face.
jump cancel = chance for them to grab you if they shielded the shine, sparky

tshahi10

Smash Ace
jump cancel = chance for them to grab you if they shielded the shine, sparky
not if you jumpcancelled into a grab. even so , if you jc shine their sheild, only some char can actually grab you, others roll away, or try atleast

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord

You must be pretty sucky at life to be so bad at interpreting posts to any degree at all. It was extremely obvious to anyone with half of a brain that I wasn't referring to shine-spiking at all.

I was referring to ya know, when you're actually trying to land the initial attack that eventually leads to ledgegaurding? Wow you're good, LOL.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
LOL owned...

Also, related to spacing, if your spacing is bad enough that you'll not hit them at all with your shine, and you're playing against a Samus or Link they can grab you..

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It depends on what character you're using. Characters like Marth, Ganon and G&W have good spacing because they have long ranged, high-priority attacks. It's all about knowing your character and watching your opponent. You have to know how long your moves last, where the hitboxes hit, and once again, you have to watch your opponent. You just get better at it over time.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
It also shouls be noted that some characters like being close, though some might argue that spacing is need e then too

v3x?

Smash Journeyman
lol ok thanks guys, but i wasnt talking about spacing a move - i'd hardly be a good tech skill fox if i couldnt hit people lol.

im talking about being the right distance away from people to make them **** up. =/

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
not if you jumpcancelled into a grab. even so , if you jc shine their sheild, only some char can actually grab you, others roll away, or try atleast
Wait, who exactly can grab a fox or falco after they SHEILDED the shine. If the shine hits the shield then don't they suffer from sheild stun (allowing Fox and Falco to jump before they can be grabbed)

Marth by far needs spacing the most because his combos depend on good spacing and he needs it to avoid punishment from a sheilded attack. You may also want to NOT tip his aerials sometimes too, because a tipped aerial will send them too far. That just makes his spacing more complicated.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
All characters need good spacing. Marth, Zelda, GW, Ganon, and Jigglypuff need it the most out of everyone, for the reasons posted above.

strider43

Smash Journeyman
You guys should look more closely into my signature, you may see then the error of your ways.

Top Bottom