• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spacing Issues

DouchebagDylan

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. Been really thinking about my game lately and I think one of my largest opportunities is in my spacing.

I have no problem wrecking players that are worse than me, but as soon as I play someone that's a good amount better than me my spacing ends up unraveling me. Neutral game comes to mind first

A lot of my nairs out of DD (retreating, in place, and advancing nairs) get immediately punished likely because I spaced them poorly against my opponent. If I overshoot nairs when spacing in order to cover my opponent's retreat from my nair it never seems to be quite enough and they still dash away and dash back to grab me. My poor spacing is most easily exploited by good Marth players as well as Fox players whose nairs seem to ALWAYS stuff mine. All likely because of my poor spacing.

I played one of the best Falcons in my state in dittos for awhile and almost every one of his nairs were spaced perfectly on my shield, always out of shield grab range. This is the spacing I dream of achieving. Played another solid Falcon in my state recently and he kept stuffing my nairs with falling up airs. I know nair as a move is awesome but in my hands it feels awful because of how i'm not spacing them well enough.

I guess I really just don't feel like enough of a threat in the neutral game against better players.

I know there isn't really an answer to improve spacing other than to keep playing against these players that are better than me (which I will do) but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do/what to look out for/try out against players next time.

I kind of just typed out what I was thinking so I'm sorry if any of this is unclear. Any help would be much appreciated.

coilerr

Smash Cadet
Hey,

Im just gonna report what i read or heard concerning spacing. Basically what you need to do ia work on the tools that allow you to.space your nairs better ie control the distance of your jumps( dash nair with diff distances) , nair forward no dash and backward etc. Use the hackpack and put the cpu on grab oos and try out diff distances . Working on the timing of yoru ff also helps to better your spacing.

Hope it helps,

Cya

D

Deleted member

I'd work on your movement. Like for example, get comfortable moving around, short hopping, short hopping into aerials, wavedashing back and forth, etc.

You can wavedash back into a Nair and space it well. Take a look at C.Falcon's various aerial hitboxes, that helps too.

Also, this REALLY helps a lot.

DouchebagDylan

Smash Rookie
I'd work on your movement. Like for example, get comfortable moving around, short hopping, short hopping into aerials, wavedashing back and forth, etc.

You can wavedash back into a Nair and space it well. Take a look at C.Falcon's various aerial hitboxes, that helps too.

Also, this REALLY helps a lot.

I have seen that video before but it was great to revisit it. Thanks for posting. I feel like my movement is pretty decent, I am pretty comfortable moving around the stage. These spacing issues really come to light when I play the top players in my state. Really points out the holes in my game. I wavedash back nair sometimes but I'll experiment with it more.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
My only advice is to try (very loaded word, mind you) to think mid match about what will happen after you Nair here. WHat kind of aerial do you need to throw out to catch them off guard? It may not BE a Nair. It might be a Darkrain Knee or a Jeff Knee lol. It could be a crossup double jump dair. Falcon is all about variety, all about brutal quickness, so maybe you run up, SH, waveland back, then grab dthrow Nair. Be an artist. Be a chess player. Be an artistic chess player lol. Hope this helped.

DouchebagDylan

Smash Rookie
My only advice is to try (very loaded word, mind you) to think mid match about what will happen after you Nair here. WHat kind of aerial do you need to throw out to catch them off guard? It may not BE a Nair. It might be a Darkrain Knee or a Jeff Knee lol. It could be a crossup double jump dair. Falcon is all about variety, all about brutal quickness, so maybe you run up, SH, waveland back, then grab dthrow Nair. Be an artist. Be a chess player. Be an artistic chess player lol. Hope this helped.
Solid advice, thank you sir

Top Bottom