• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spacie edgeguarding options?

digglebot

Smash Rookie
I particularly have trouble covering the quick falco phantasm to the ledge. Its tricky because falco's side B is a few frames faster than foxes IIRC and im scared of missing the meteor cancel if I choke the edgeguard. The only options I know at the moment are:

1. Low back air on the stage, seems to only work if timed nicely & falco's head hurtbox kinda peeks above the ledge.

2. Down smash at the edge.

3. Drop from ledge into rising back air. Been practicing this one, great for covering multiple recovery options, but sometimes failing the drift back onto the stage, or missing the bair can force you to have to firefox, and falco has probably already made it back to the stage by now.

If anybody has any advice or other edgeguarding methods to add, that would be awesome. Doesn't have to only be about covering the phantasm. Always helps to add options to my edgeguard flowchart :)

digglebot

Smash Rookie
If you're in position to do anything from the ledge, you can just hold it.
Good point. I feel like I may have overthought this haha. I have another question though, to cover side b's, is it better to short hop and back air for the juicy hitbox or is it better to go for the uptilt into uair or something

Y-L

Smash Champion
A really good option that many ppl do not use is shine stall->bair, you can cover a ton of options with it.

CanadianSpud

Smash Rookie
Assuming you're Fox or Falco you can simply time a u-tilt correctly and it will knock them out of their side B IIRC.

Snorlaxes

Smash Cadet
Something to think about that's useful for all characters: if you're going to get on the ledge, do so as late as possible* because the intangibility frames help pretty much any option you choose after getting off the ledge.

*While still keeping in mind frames (~10) needed for ledge drop > double jump > edge-guard option if the situation calls for it.

One other option that hasn't been mentioned is shine. Rolling to the ledge (shine's hitbox is slightly more disjointed behind Fox) and timing it correctly should cover the incorrect sweet-spot that F-Smash would hit with the advantage of leading to easy gimps at low percents. Overall, it's less practical than other options, but just another choice to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom