• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Space Harrier for Smash Ultimate DLC

Would you want Harrier playable in Smash?

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I’d have to think about it

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Gaming-101

Smash Rookie
First Appearance: Space Harrier - December 1985 (Arcade, GBA, Famicom, Sega Saturn, PS2, PC, Wii, 3DS)

Who?

Harrier is from the series, which is owned by Sega, called Space Harrier and first appeared in the original Space Harrier all the way back in 1985. It was originally created by a Sega Designer named Ida (Last name not known). He showed Sega a 100-page document, instead of controlling Harrier, you would play as a fighter jet that would shoot missiles into a realistic background. There’s actually an enemy inspired by the guy. They’re called I-DA and they have big heads lol. This game pioneered Rail-Shooters and also had some sequels. It even had a spin-off that, unfortunately, wasn’t for any platforms other than the Arcade. It was called Planet Harriers. If it weren’t for this game, we wouldn’t have games like Sin & Punishment, House of the Dead, Killer7, etc.

Good or Bad Reviews

Pretty much all of them are good. The first one was damn good and led to many sequels. Space Harrier 3-D was the first one, and then after came Space Harrier II, which was unfortunately that last game in the mainline series. But, fast forward to August of 2019 and it was a part of Sega Ages on the Switch.

What was Space Harrier’s Role in Smash?

Unfortunately, there is none. You think Space Harrier would have at least a music track or something. I mean if it were to have representation in Smash, I‘d see it having maybe 1 Spirit and 1 music track.

What Would Harrier Play Like?

Well here’s half of a Moveset I made based off of my research. Any criticism I am open to and I will link my sources. Also if anyone would like to add I would be more than happy to add your ideas to this moveset. And yes, I will give you credit.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t think of any Smash Attacks, Tilt Attacks, or Air Attacks. However there is one Air Attack I could think of and that is:

Down Air - Similar to Snake’s Down Air, except it has less range.

Special Moves

Neutral Special - Laser Cannon - He shoots energy blasts from his Laser Cannon that do 8% of damage per blast. Since he’s from a rail shooter, you can hold “B” and walk around. Unfortunately, you can’t walk around like Banjo-Kazooie’s Neutral Special, meaning you can only go in 1 direction.

Side Special - Canine Rush - This is a shield you can get by playing Barrier Attack Mode in the Sega Ages version of the original. 2 dogs are summoned on front of him with a shield between them and they run forward. This is sort of like Banjo’s Side Special, except you’re not invincible. But, you do have Super Armor at the end of this.

Down Special - ???

Up Special - ???

Final Smash - White Dragon - Harrier summons the White Dragon from the Bonus Stage and rides it across the stage. So, I guess similar Rayquaza’s attack where he rushes across the stage, except you attack from side to side. This deals 50% of damage.

What are Harrier’s chances?

I’d say about 8%. It’s not that there’s anything holding him back, it’s just that Sega already has 2 characters (Sonic & Joker, this is going to be a later post probably) and I just think we’re not getting anymore than that.

Supporters
1. SEGAGameBoy (My original account, a.k.a Gaming-101)
2. Lady_sky skipper
3. Powerman293
4. Shinhed-echi

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
God, this sounds so cool, but he's pretty far down the list of potential SEGA characters to be added.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I support! Any classic SEGA character is an automatic approve from me.

I have a little idea how he could work.

First, he'd be a super lightweight, because his aerial nature will make him extremely hard to get hit by some characters.

Gimmick:
He's extremely floaty, to emulate as if he's hovering all the time. He will descend slowly, and has one additional jump.

His A attacks all consist of either slamming his massive gun into opponents, and kicking.

As for specials:

B: Aim:
While you hold B, a reticle will appear on screen, and a flurry of plasma energy will fly from his gun to where the reticle is aiming.
The shots will miss if opponent is outside the reticle, even if the shot overlaps him/her ñ.

Side+B: Homing shot
Based on one of the enemy shots. Fires a slow, but powerful burst of flames that flies in the direction of nearest opponent. Like a single shot, slow version of Palutena's B.

Down+B: Stun ring
Another shot taken from his enemies, the Stun ring is a blue ring that will Stun opponents when fired. Not much knock back nor damage.

Up+B: Self destruct-pack
Completely made up. Harrier will self destruct his jetpack if he's too far below, which will cause 10% damage to himself, and heavy Knockback to anyone caught in the explosion, as the force propels him straight up. He can grab the edge afterwards, and for like 12 seconds have to survive without his floatyness until a new one is teleported to his back.

Up+B:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
So yeah, while submitting Opa-Opa on a SEGA Smash clone thread, I had a idea on Harrier and him as a dual character akin to Ice Climbers and Rosalina & Luma, and decided to finish it up here, as inspired by a universe shared by both Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone. With some moves already inspired by others above.

Edit: Now that Opa-Opa is his own character now, I decided to alter my moveset concept here with only Harrier himself alone.

For his shield, Harrier uses a Bit shield power-up from the PS2 remake, much like how Opa-Opa uses his own during his battle against a evil doppelganger from Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa.

Neutral Attacks:
  • Jab Combo: Harrier simply shoots a energy projectile from his cannon. This move can be spammed by holding the button.
  • Forward/Back Tilt: Harrier can move around while shooting with his laser cannon and even move backwards. Same as Jab Combo, Mega Man's Side Tilt and Banjo's Breegull Blaster, but weaker.
  • Up Tilt: Harrier swings his cannon upwards in an arc.
  • Down Tilt: While crouching, Harrier slightly shoots directly in-front of him, causing a small explosion. Similar to Samus's.
  • Dash Attack: Harrier dashes forward with a headbutt by using his laser cannon.
Smash Attacks:
  • Side Smash: Harrier charges up his cannon and then shoots a ring projectile from one of the enemies.
  • Up Smash: Harrier raises his cannon upwards and then releases a powerful burst of fire above him.
  • Down Smash: Harrier swings his cannon around him, while releasing explosions at both sides of him. Similar to Samus's Up Smash, but he performs it by sweeping a cannon across the ground while aiming at it like Mii Gunner's.
Air Attacks:
  • Neutral Air: Same as Jab Combo. Harrier can slightly glide on the air like Peach, though it only applies here.
  • Forward Air: Harrier swings his cannon vertically downwards in-front of him. Acts as a meteor-smash.
  • Back Air: Harrier uses his cannon's boost to back-fire behind him, propeling himself forwards a bit.
  • Up Air: Harrier aims his cannon upwards and unleashes a series of energy bursts above him in a quick succession. Same as Mii Gunner's.
  • Down Air: Harrier performs 4 subsequent stomps below himself. Similar to Snake's, but has less range.
Grab/Throws:
  • Grab/Pummel: Harrier grabs an opponent with one hand and then attacks them with a headbutt.
  • Forward Throw: Harrier drags an opponent across the ground a short distance as he flies with his cannon, before throwing them forward. Same as Ridley's Side Special (Space Pirate Rush).
  • Back Throw: Harrier throws an opponent backwards and then shoots a laser beam to send them flying away further.
  • Up Throw: Harrier flies up high, before slamming an opponent down onto the ground. Works same as King K. Rool and Kirby's.
  • Down Throw: Harrier simply slams the opponent on the ground with his cannon and then releases a close-range explosion.
Special Moves:
  • Neutral Special: Lock-On - Harrier aims his cannon forward and shoots a few laser beams, doing chip damage unlike his Jab Combo/Forward-Back Tilt/Neutral Air. Shots will miss if an opponent is outside the reticle even if they overlap them. Based on how Harrier attacks in the PS2 remake and works similar to Palutena's Autoreticle.
  • Side Special: Komainu Rush - Harrier summons dog-like creatures called Komainus as they form a barrier in-front of him and he rushes forward. Same as Banjo's Wonderwing, but not limited and has bigger endlag.
  • Up Special: Flight - Harrier uses his laser cannon to fly freely around for a few seconds, able to shoot energy projectiles while doing so, even though he can't turn around. Similar to R.O.B.'s Up Special.
  • Down Special: Flash Bomb - Harrier summons a Flash Bomb from the PS2 remake and activates it, summoning a light-like explosion around him which stuns opponents within range. A explosion's damage depends on an opponent's position, with the highest being right at a epicenter.
Final Smash/All-Star Move (in a clone thread):
  • White Dragon: Uriah flies besides Harrier, who hops on him as he rides forward across the stage and hits an opponent(s). If it connects, opponents will be sent flying into Dragon Land with a bunch of trees as Uriah quickly flies towards them while breathing fire (like Dark Uriah shooting projectiles in Space Harrier 3-D) with Harrier riding on him, destroying trees in a quick succession and hitting opponents so powerfully they're sent back to the stage. A combination of Rayquaza's boss fight in Brawl by a start and Captain Falcon's Final Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom