• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoVA Demands To Be Taken Seriously. Brawl (1v1/2v2) 8/30/08

SlashTalon

Smash Ace

Games N' Trade Presents:​
THE MAGICIAN'S ALLIANCE Presents:

The First of Many:

BRAWL SINGLES AND TEAMS
Aug 30th

and Soul Calibur 4

3841-I East Little Creek Norfolk VA, 23518

SoVA=VaBeach/Norfolk/Hampton/ect.

Our boss at Games n trade said that if we get 50 people we can use the COMPLETELY EMPTY STORE WITH OUTLETS EVERYWHERE, A BATHROOM, AND A WATER FOUNTAIN, AND IT iS COMPLETELY EMPTY. we can easily fit mad people in there.
Tourney Starts at 12pm (doubles then singles, possibly overlapping)
Venue Fee: $5
Singles Entry Fee: $10 per person
Doubles Entry Fee: $10 per Team ($5 per person)

RULES

NO ITEMS [not even Smashballs]
Team attack is ON.
Life stealing IS allowed.
Teams Tournament will run first, THEN Singles. Unless we try to run both simultaneously. We'll see.

Double Elimination
3 Stock, 7 Minutes
All Matches are best 2 out of 3, except:
Winners/Losers/Grand Finals which are all best 3 out of 5

iCONTROLS! ---You can use any controller (GameCube, Wiimote, etc) and any control configuration you want. If you have special control settings, you MUST change your control scheme before the match starts. If you're human and happen to forget to add your changed controls to that system, you have about 5 seconds into the match [unless your opponent is nice] to remember to change your controls. You WILL, however, remain that character and return to that stage if this kind of event occurs. Sometimes people forget to take off the previous player's tag...well in Brawl that actually matters since control schemes are attached to tags. Same rules apply for realizing this.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Any glitches or game-stalling strategies to run out the clock are banned and will result in the loss of that stock. This includes Fox's shine stall far away from the stage repeatedly just to run out the clock. It's different than the one done as a defensive mechanism to throw off your opponent's timing for edgeguarding or things of that nature. I don't know if you can still do the rising-pound stall with Jigglypuff, or Peach's wall-bombing or whatever it was called. I think Pit can also repeatedly upB under the stage from ledge to ledge [if the stage is designed in such a way, and a lot of them are]. Don't be a dlck about the specifics like "oh, well I only did that but so many times"...use some common sense. This includes MK's Cape trick...just don't =)
STANDING DDD GRAB INFINITE IS BANNED.

***NO COACHING. In the middle of a tournament match, you cannot ask someone "what do I do?" or "what am I doing wrong?" etc. If you want to avoid risking your friend/acquaintance's tourney match, then it would be wise to not say anything until the match is over. Some tournaments are a little more strict about this than others, with the strictness level reflecting the gravity of the tournament or match. For me, I'm not sure yet. I'll talk to some more experienced hosts and see what they think. But if I don't change this by the week before the tournament, then consider that it's okay to coach or seek help between matches. But don't be a **** about it and sit there for 5 minutes hatching strategies with someone else. As soon as ONE character has been selected for the next match, the NO COACHING rule is again in effect.

I guess if it's really hype and you see certain things coming and shout out "spike!", "DON'T GET GRABBED!" or something of that nature, that's fine. But don't read out combos or setups to someone playing haha...I'm just saying, no one deserves any sort of unfair advantage. If you don't have the information and strategy to cope with another player's style, and that's what sets you apart from that player and that's why you lose the match, then so be it.

Cheering for your crew is great, but it's not a crew battle (in which case, anything goes ).

IF YOU BREAK THIS RULE, THE MATCH WILL BE FORFEITED.***

Prize payout for each tournament will be 60/30/10

I think that's pretty fair.

STAGES
NEUTRAL STAGES (set to Random):
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (DS Version)

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes

I reserve the right to change anything and everything about the rules and stages if I see fit. I doubt anything will change, but just know that's how it is.

More info will be added as I get it so keep checking back.

Games N' Trade wants to be the number one smash tourney venue in SoVA...

The owner will let us use that ENTIRE store as a venue, and he even offered to rent out hotel conference rooms if enough people show interest!

Venue price will always be cheap, and MA and I have complete control over payouts/rules/dance parties

Not to mention he will throw up big prizes like PSP's, Wii's and other amazing stuff every once in awhile!
Even get Z104 and other sponsors and TV stations!!

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Cyber Den is having a tourney same day and they announced theirs way earlier...I'm just sayin'

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
this sounds like it can be great... but the 30th was a bad date :/
i like the t.v. stations idea and sponsor ideas though, i can try to make the next one

Top Bottom