• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southern Ontario Goes To Apex 2015 (TRAVEL PLANS)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hi guys!

Apex details have been made public: http://smashboards.com/threads/jan-...el-information-up-secaucus-new-jersey.371641/ It's in Secaucus, NJ this year, on the last weekend of January (Jan 30 - Feb 1). I made this thread to try and co-ordinate hotel and travel accommodations, especially for people who are new to the smash community and don't know what this is all about yet.

(Don't know what Apex is? Think of this as the super bowl of smash bros. It's the biggest, craziest event of the year to go to for Smash. We'll all be up against hundreds of competitors from around the world at our favourite games, getting the chance to meet some of our idols, establish our place on the worldwide stage, and spend a whole weekend partying and probably not sleeping, in a hotel filled with smashers for 3 days straight. Thinking about going? Stop thinking about it and JUST DO IT, you will thank yourself later!)

This will be my 4th time attending, and if there's one thing I've learned time and time again it's that planning ahead early means less headaches for everyone. Start getting your passports, like, tomorrow. Book the time off in advance, ask your parents for permission, hell have them meet me in person if they're skeptical, just do what you gotta do! Don't be that guy who wants to go but misses out because he didn't try ;)

Travel

Megabus overnight Wed Jan 28 (11:59 PM) to Thu Jan 29 (arrive at 11:45 AM), transfer in NYC to arrive at the hotel Thursday sometime. Head back morning of Mon Feb 2 (7:10 AM) and get home the same night (around 7 pm). This option is currently $60. This is the route I am taking.

alternative: Greyhound bus overnight Wed Jan 28 (most likely 11:30 pm) to Thu Jan 29 (arrive at either 8 am or 10 am), transfer to train in NYC to arrive at the hotel Thursday sometime. Head back morning of Mon Feb 2 (most likely 10am) and get home the same night (most likely around 9pm). This option is currently $80.

Transferring back and forth between NYC and the venue I estimate will cost a total of around $30 per person for the entire trip.

Hotel

Stef's rooms
- I have 2 rooms featuring 2 double beds and a recliner. Some ppl will have to sleep on the floor. I have these rooms for Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun night. Can take up to 16 people total, 8 per room. If we get 16 people altogether it will be $55 per person (for the entire 4 nights, not just for 1 night). Breakfast is included.
  • Dane
  • Fine Yoshi Pie
  • Armen
  • Armen spot #2
  • Armen spot #3
  • Cozy
  • Envy
  • Subster
  • hell-dew
  • Truth
  • DCF
  • Ally
  • Seel
  • Meekspeedy
  • Kenny
  • SK_Jynx

Anyone else who gets a room or has other travel plans please post them if you want. I'll be keeping updates here.

Passport

CANADIANS are the worst for passport johns! Take care of that **** right now, because passports take at least a few weeks to process! Let me help you out: http://www.passport.gc.ca/info/
  • Get passport photos taken here: http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/store-locator/ (change to your postal code and filter by Digital Photo Lab)
  • Fill out the adult or child form: http://passport.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng Need a guarantor? Find me at a&c if you've known me for long enough (2 years, doesn't matter how close we are).
  • Acquire $120. Don't have $120 or a job? Head to the psychology department at your nearest university and respond to any fliers/posters advertising paid studies. I made a ton of pocket cash in university just answering questionnaires and solving puzzles. Good places to look: the basement of Sidney Smith Hall at U of T (100 st George street) or the 2nd floor of SSB at Ryerson (105 bond st)
  • Bring all your required documentation here: http://www.passport.gc.ca/service/index.aspx?lang=eng&chkPPTC=on

Last edited:

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
Yooo I'm definitely coming to this 100%. Pref at least part of a bed if possible. This is Dane btw, long time lurker lol.

Windrose

Smash Lord
8 people per room is pretty cramped isn't it? 5-6 is already pushing it...unless these are deluxe rooms or something?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
8 people per room is pretty cramped isn't it? 5-6 is already pushing it...unless these are deluxe rooms or something?
It's cramped, if people want more space they all gotta pay more - this is the arrangement I ran for the last few years

bellocan

Smash Rookie
Most likely going but putting a maybe would be safer.

I suppose I'm confirmed unless PM is not an event at Apex.

Last edited:

UriNATE

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1392-5619-0492
I'm pretty much confirmed [REDACTED] unless something weird happens.

Last edited:

Senpai♥

"I'm an earthquake in a can!"
So it looks like pidge hasn't update the thread yet, but here's the situation;

Due to a recent lay-off, pidge does not currently plan to attend APEX. As a result, I will be taking over these two hotel rooms.

Rest assured, everyone who has a spot already will be keeping their spot. Just speak to me if you have any questions about any of it.

The rooms are once again Stef's. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Cozy here.

Sign me up for one of the rooms. I got a sleeping bag I can use on the floor no problem. $55 sounds like a good deal to me.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hi guys!

I am confirmed still going to Apex.

these two rooms are still reserved under my name.

The travel plans described in the OP are still accurate.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Stef put me down as a maybe im definintly heavily leaning towards it but until i find out my money situation (which im gonna be so sad if i cant fix it in two months) there is that slim chance of me getting out right screwed.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
update:

For the love of all that is holy, PLEASE USE THE SHOWER FACILITIES IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM! 8 people in a room can get pretty uncomfortable if ppl aren't hygienic. If I find out someone's been stinking up the joint they're gonna have to pay extra at the end of the trip.

Fz Truth

Smash Rookie
In case anyone forgets, I'll be bringing extra Old Spice sticks (unused of course)

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Is there any issues with minors coming?
Yes. Minors need a parent to sign paperwork to appoint one of us on the trip as a temporary guardian. You cannot cross the border otherwise. This is the arrangement I have with Yoshi and his mom.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
So I just found my pass port and I am considering going to this. Apparently stef still has a spot in 1 of the 2 rooms?
Cause Im seeing my paying 115 $ (lol) right now for venue ,reg and the room fee. aside from that it would possibly be another 120 for food and donating cash for MM's /side bets.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
So I just found my pass port and I am considering going to this. Apparently stef still has a spot in 1 of the 2 rooms?
Cause Im seeing my paying 115 $ (lol) right now for venue ,reg and the room fee. aside from that it would possibly be another 120 for food and donating cash for MM's /side bets.
my last spaces were taken up this morning :(

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
That's OK going to apex would have the most exhilarating and memorable experience as a player and with you guys but honestly would have been another oNe of my worst tactical decisions.

Ill have no stocks left when I came back.... maybe I'll scheme my way into a fellow zss mains encampment from the boards.

Oh Ryoko how will you get yourself out of this one? T.T

Top Bottom