• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sour spot on Down tilt confirmed

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Update: The vid is up for the sourspot on d-tilt. take a look.

I was playing with Duck Hunt on for glory mode against a fox. On our last stocks fox charges and me and I caught him off guard with down tilt. The weird thing was that instead of being launched away from me. He was launched just above where I was standing to follow up with up tilt for the kill. Can someone confirm if there is a weird launch spot for the down tilt similar to home run bats, or if it was just terrible DI or something to the effect? I am curious since if it is a weird launch spot in their down tilt. It could give a good kill confirm option.

Last edited:

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Makes sense though I don't think sourspots are supposed to send someone in the opposite direction of the intended launch. Unless that is also covered under sourspots in which case never mind that last bit.

I have been trying to replicate the results and it's been really difficult to pull off. Seems it has to be pixel perfect in order to get it to work. Should have saved the replay so I could have figured it out a bit more precisely.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Something like this has been happening with my dash attacks now. People have been flying in the opposite direction of the attack when I go to deep on a hit. It's weird. And cool.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Something like this has been happening with my dash attacks now. People have been flying in the opposite direction of the attack when I go to deep on a hit. It's weird. And cool.
i believe it's the dog's hitbox, it makes things go behind you

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Duck Hunts hitbox is weird just like him, so you have to be careful with when you attack

Spirst

Yeah, this is a sourspot dash attack. Sweetspot dash attack with the duck's hitbox sounds the opponent up, forward, and away from you. The sourspot, the dog, sends them behind you. You can do this on the Can as well to either send it in front or behind you. To do it consistently, you have to be nearly overlapping the opponent's hurtbox with DH and then dash attack. That way, the dog will hit instead of the duck.
I was playing with Duck Hunt on for glory mode against a fox. On our last stocks fox charges and me and I caught him off guard with down tilt. The weird thing was that instead of being launched away from me. He was launched just above where I was standing to follow up with up tilt for the kill. Can someone confirm if there is a weird launch spot for the down tilt similar to home run bats, or if it was just terrible DI or something to the effect? I am curious since if it is a weird launch spot in their down tilt. It could give a good kill confirm option.
I personally think it was bad DI or something to that effect. I checked Dantarion's Master Core for the frame data and while I can see the sourspot hitbox data for stuff like dash attack/fair/bair, I don't see anything for dtilt. That means that there's only one dtilt hitbox and as far as I know, it doesn't have a radical launch angle like directly above you.

Been trying to replicate it myself but to no avail. If you find it, save the replay and show me. I'd like to analyze it myself.

Last edited:

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Great news, After spending some time in training. I have replicated the launch can confirm that there is a sour launch spot for Duck Hunt's Down tilt. However, the conditions and timing are extremely strict. These are the conditions I can confirm:

-Will never work on anything stationary or walking. They have to be dashing for it to work. This would explain why it wouldn't show a sour spot on Master Core
-The Character Must have a good speed that can go through Duck Hunt's model fast enough. I will look into the slowest possible later. For now, it is definitely Anyone equal or faster than fox is a potential candidate for this.
-The sour spot has a very small window for it to connect. Somewhere around 1-5 frames passed it's sweet spot. I wish I could be more accurate but don't have frame by frame stuff and can't do it on normal speeds.

This is what I have processed when I replicated it. The launch does go backwards. Him going directly above me was the result of DI. (Probably was trying to sneak an up smash in when the happy accident happened)

I will try to get replay data available though it might not be at normal speed. I will keep looking more into it to find anything else.

EDIT: I have Created replay data of the sourspot. It was done on slow mode. I need someone to PM me instructions to make the data available.

Last edited:

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
My apologies for double posting but I got a video of the replay. After reviewing the replay. I figured I would just show the part when the sour spot happened as most of it was me failing to make fox dash on stand alone Wii remote.

Any way it was from my phone so quality isn't that great. Also you might want to mute the video since there was a little noise in it.

Also I am changing the title of the thread to "Sour spot on Down tilt confirmed."

Last edited:
Top Bottom