• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sound Effects/Announcer Questions

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Was wondering if someone could lend me some help with sound effect things. There's two things I want to do.

First, I want to get the 3.6b Luigi announcer call (I actually have a .wav of it already thanks to someone from the Discord) and plug that into my 3.6f build I'm making, but I'm not sure how to do that. I know it will probably involve Super Sawndz, but a lot of the information I can find on the subject is outdated, or conflicting.

Second, I want to know if there's a way to increase the volume on a character's voicepack files. I really like the Japanese Ike voice pack, but it's always felt a little quiet to me. Typing it out now, and with some of the things I have seen about using Super Sawndz (or whatever) I'm suddenly realizing this could be a very daunting task, so I might just settle for the pack I've got as is.

Anyway, that's about it. Thanks to anyone who can help out in advance.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
I can help you with your first question. You are correct that changing an announcer call will involve Super Sawndz (the full version which is compatible with WAV files). You will also need the bsar file for PM 3.6 (you can get both of those as part of this download package). Note that this is not the same thing as the bsar file for vanilla brawl.

Before you open the bsar in SS, *make a backup*. Changes made in SS are saved automatically, so it's very easy to mess it up. Once you've got it open, you need to find find the announcer call you want to replace. It is probably under characall (40f66), which is about 2/3 of the way down in the list. With that selected, browse for your WAV file and then click insert. Then click create Sawnd and name it 223.Sawnd. (223.Sawnd contains all the announcer calls [EDIT: not 220 as I previously thought]) Then put your new Sawnd in projectm\pf\sfx

Let me know if that works! =D

Edit: oh, and I just realized, you might already have custom announcer calls (by that I mean ones that are not in PM 3.6) in your build. If so, that makes the procedure a little more complicated. I can give you a longer explanation if that's the case.

Last edited:

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
I can help with both. You would probably have to put your WIP sound packs in a dropbox so we can download and make the changes.

Either that, or somebody could give you a tutorial on how to do it yourself.

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
I've uploaded the only two things I've got here, which is literally just a .wav file with the Luigi announcer from 3.6b, and the JP Ike pack. I'll try and get that Luigi announcer in there on my own right away and see how it goes.

Forgot to mention as well, I don't currently have any other sound mods going on, so we're good to go.

Last edited:

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Well, that whole process seemed simple enough, and I made the sawnd file, but upon testing, it freezes when going into the Character Select Screen. Any idea why that might be?

Also, follow up question, if characall gets the character select announcer screen, is there another spot for the results screen call? Gotta make sure I get all that lllooweegee-goodness.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Well, that whole process seemed simple enough, and I made the sawnd file, but upon testing, it freezes when going into the Character Select Screen. Any idea why that might be?

Also, follow up question, if characall gets the character select announcer screen, is there another spot for the results screen call? Gotta make sure I get all that lllooweegee-goodness.
Ah, okay I think I made a mistake. Try making another sawnd and naming it 223 instead of 220 (and put your old 220 back in lol). I just tested this myself with your WAV file and it works. And this should work for the results screen too.

Last edited:

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Nice, works like a charm! Thanks a bunch.

I think I'll just leave Ike as-is unless someone swoops in and posts a better one, just for the sake of moving on.

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
Any specific voice clips for Ike you felt were too quiet? I can increase the sound but it would help if I knew which ones I should focus on.

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Actually, just after testing it, the only one that's kind of quiet to me is the line that replaces "Prepare yourself," which gives me an entirely different idea: Can you put "prepare yourself" back in, so everything is Japanese except that line? That would be perfect.

Top Bottom