• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sora opens up the smash universe

should Sora be a dlc

• YES

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No (<--you had no childhood)

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Homie

Smash Rookie
NNID
DTx_Casper

Sora from kingdom hearts he deserves to have a roster part in smash bros. he fits right in especially since he can travel from world to world his move set can be almost anything you can imagine his alternate colors can he his different drive forms or his different world costumes for example like the nightmare before Christmas one . the final smash can include his best friend Riku or his counter part Roxas or his final smash can be his anti form. and if he did make the roster for smash four most likely he will get an amiibo that can possibly be used for disney infinite his inclusion to smash will change the game a little bit the same way any new inclusion of a character can change the game. as for why i want him to be in smash its because smash is about iconic characters coming together for one epic game brawl proved this when they added snake and sonic <--- don't bash brawl on this topic cause i brought it up

Last edited:

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
What would his inclusion bring to this Smash Bros. game? Potential standard attacks and/or special moves? Why is he your #1 pick over other video game characters? Why him over Terra? I recommend these types of questions should be addressed immediately whenever you creator a support thread like the other users have done. Oh, and here's to a good Sora discussion!

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
>_> <_< i actually would be totally cool with sora as long as disney was kept far away.

But he he is pretty much sony and disney in smash just sounds like a catastrophe waiting to happen.
Sony doesn't own Sora and Disney doesn't have any beef with Nintendo so there shouldn't be a problem with that at all.

What would his inclusion bring to this Smash Bros. game? Potential standard attacks and/or special moves? Why is he your #1 pick over other video game characters? Why him over Terra? I recommend these types of questions should be addressed immediately whenever you creator a support thread like the other users have done. Oh, and here's to a good Sora discussion!
There's a huge potential for Sora's moveset. Infact, this video can give us a few ideas as to what his moveset could potentially have( although, I don't entirely agree with it as some moves fit better with smash than others): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nK4UKhthw

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Iv put my votes for sora to enter Sm4sh every time, Sora is ready to join the fray

Falcon1991

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Falcon1991
He is in my top 5 to get in.

Seeing as he has been in some Nintendo exclusive handhelds then there is a chance!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think the biggest hurdle to Sora's chances is that they have to get the ok from both Disney and Square Enix since he belongs to both those companies. He's not impossible, but it does mean double the negotiations for Nintendo. At least his series has had a handful of Nintendo exclusives, so I see his chances being upped a smidge.

Personally, I'd expect to see him make it into Disney's own crossover series, Disney Infinity, before he makes it into Smash Bros.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I think the biggest hurdle to Sora's chances is that they have to get the ok from both Disney and Square Enix since he belongs to both those companies. He's not impossible, but it does mean double the negotiations for Nintendo. At least his series has had a handful of Nintendo exclusives, so I see his chances being upped a smidge.

Personally, I'd expect to see him make it into Disney's own crossover series, Disney Infinity, before he makes it into Smash Bros.
I think only one of those companies owns Sora. The reason I say this is because Disney had their own KH game made without Square Enix getting involved, they also didn't add or reference any FF character in it.
Here's the game I'm talking about: http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_V_CAST

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think only one of those companies owns Sora. The reason I say this is because Disney had their own KH game made without Square Enix getting involved, they also didn't add or reference any FF character in it.
Here's the game I'm talking about: http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_V_CAST
Huh, I wasn't aware of that one. I wonder if there was a change of hands more recently because I was told by a Disney artist about 10 years ago that they couldn't even legally use the Kingdom Hearts versions of Donald and Goofy without Square's permission. I guess this would strongly work in Sora' favor since it makes him as fair game as any other third party.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Huh, I wasn't aware of that one. I wonder if there was a change of hands more recently because I was told by a Disney artist about 10 years ago that they couldn't even legally use the Kingdom Hearts versions of Donald and Goofy without Square's permission. I guess this would strongly work in Sora' favor since it makes him as fair game as any other third party.
Kingdom Hearts as an IP and Sora are owned by Disney.
The specific Kingdom Hearts redesigns of Donald and Goofy are copyrighted by Square Enix.

It's weird how it works out.

Haki

Smash Rookie
NNID
hakidesu
3DS FC
3239-5816-4737
I'd love to see Sora in Smash 4, but he barely has any chance imo.
Sure KH has 4 games on Nintendo Systems but I don't see him having much of a chance.
I like the idea that MacDaddyNook brought up about him being in Disney Infinity though, I'm not a fan
of the game, but I would like to see him in.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I'd love to see Sora in Smash 4, but he barely has any chance imo.
Sure KH has 4 games on Nintendo Systems but I don't see him having much of a chance.
I like the idea that MacDaddyNook brought up about him being in Disney Infinity though, I'm not a fan
of the game, but I would like to see him in.
He won't have a chance with that attitude. Every argument I've seen going against Sora joining Smash thus far are either based on rumors or personal criterias. If those reasons I've seen are the only reasons against Sora making it into the roster, then he has a huge chance of making it in.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
As you can tell by my username; I've always wanted Sora in Smash.
Do I think it will happen? No.
Should it happen? Yes.
Would I **** my pants if it did happen?

....most likely.

(Also I should've just made this damn thread, I make OPs better than that on the toilet.)

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
As you can tell by my username; I've always wanted Sora in Smash.
Do I think it will happen? No.
Should it happen? Yes.
Would I **** my pants if it did happen?

....most likely.

(Also I should've just made this damn thread, I make OPs better than that on the toilet.)
Dude, if you want it to happen, then you should think can happen too. Believe me when I say that there's absolutely NO substantial evidence that proves that he wouldn't make it in the game if he got the votes. None.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Dude, if you want it to happen, then you should think can happen too. Believe me when I say that there's absolutely NO substantial evidence that proves that he wouldn't make it in the game if he got the votes. None.

There's also no substantial evidence that ANY character who wins the ballot will get in either. In the end, it's all up to Nintendo's disgression, but being 3rd Party already gives Sora a hard time when there are many other 3rd Party Characters that are more iconic and relatable to Nintendo than he is; including, but not limited to; Black Mage, Rayman, Phoenix Wright, Banjo-Kazooie, and Shantae.

Plus being owned by Disney almost cuts Sora's chances down to none. Ever heard of a little game called Dissidia Final Fantasy? It was originally planned as a Kingdom Hearts title. But Disney pulled the plug on it, saying they don't want their characters fighting each other. Redundant as it is considering some of Kingdom Hearts' boss fights, it still does not change the fact Sora is next-to-impossible.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
There's also no substantial evidence that ANY character who wins the ballot will get in either. In the end, it's all up to Nintendo's disgression, but being 3rd Party already gives Sora a hard time when there are many other 3rd Party Characters that are more iconic and relatable to Nintendo than he is; including, but not limited to; Black Mage, Rayman, Phoenix Wright, Banjo-Kazooie, and Shantae.

Plus being owned by Disney almost cuts Sora's chances down to none. Ever heard of a little game called Dissidia Final Fantasy? It was originally planned as a Kingdom Hearts title. But Disney pulled the plug on it, saying they don't want their characters fighting each other. Redundant as it is considering some of Kingdom Hearts' boss fights, it still does not change the fact Sora is next-to-impossible.

While it's true that it is primarily up to Nintendo to choose which characters actually make it into the roster, Sora being third party has no bearings on his chances. No matter how you slice it, this is still, first and foremost, a popularity poll to determine which characters are on high demand. Nintendo has made it clear that, by allowing any videogame character to enter the ballot without a set criteria they'd have to meet, they have absolutely no qualms of letting any third party characters join the roster if they're popular enough.

As for the Dissidia argument, there isn't any official statement from either Disney or Square Enix that confirms that Disney was the one who shot the idea of the Kingdom Hearts fighting game down( but if you can find an official statement, then please link it to me). Even if they were the ones that shot the idea down, you have to keep in mind that Sora wouldn't have been the only Disney character in "KH Dissidia". There's Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Pete, and Maleficent as well as the potential characters Aladdin, Mulan, Jack Skellington, Jack Sparrow, and Hercules. Disney were more likely worried about those characters fighting each other than Sora fighting in general.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Sora is not important in Nintendo history at all why do people keep requesting him? because childhood? I played kingdom hearts but the idea of making sora in ssb is bad I know he can have cool moveset but that won't help him to be in smash at all also if there is anything from square Enix will touch smash bros it's gonna be final fantasy or dragon quest (and SMRPG if square fully owns this) because they were way more important in Nintendo history than kingdom hearts

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

While it's true that it is primarily up to Nintendo to choose which characters actually make it into the roster, Sora being third party has no bearings on his chances. No matter how you slice it, this is still, first and foremost, a popularity poll to determine which characters are on high demand. Nintendo has made it clear that, by allowing any videogame character to enter the ballot without a set criteria they'd have to meet, they have absolutely no qualms of letting any third party characters join the roster if they're popular enough.

As for the Dissidia argument, there isn't any official statement from either Disney or Square Enix that confirms that Disney was the one who shot the idea of the Kingdom Hearts fighting game down( but if you can find an official statement, then please link it to me). Even if they were the ones that shot the idea down, you have to keep in mind that Sora wouldn't have been the only Disney character in "KH Dissidia". There's Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Pete, and Maleficent as well as the potential characters Aladdin, Mulan, Jack Skellington, Jack Sparrow, and Hercules. Disney were more likely worried about those characters fighting each other than Sora fighting in general.

Except you are forgetting one thing. 3rd Party extends to everyone not owned by Nintendo. This includes everyone from Master Chief to Kratos to Shovel Knight.

A popularity poll shows only who people want. It has no bearing on the level of difficulty OBTAINING the rights to use them.

Sure, people like us want Sora, but being owned by Disney in addition to Square Enix means just one thing....

They have not one, but two companies to negotiate with! One of which, might I remind you, seems to have a bit of a rocky relationship with Nintendo! Square Enix doesn't just stick around to the Nintendo consoles, especially with Kingdom Hearts! All the true mainstream titles, barring Dream Drop Distance, have been, surprise surprise, Sony Exclusives.

In addition, Mr. Edgeworth, two companies means twice the amount of money Nintendo will need to shell out to obtain rights to use them in just one game!

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

Except you are forgetting one thing. 3rd Party extends to everyone not owned by Nintendo. This includes everyone from Master Chief to Kratos to Shovel Knight.

A popularity poll shows only who people want. It has no bearing on the level of difficulty OBTAINING the rights to use them.

Sure, people like us want Sora, but being owned by Disney in addition to Square Enix means just one thing....

They have not one, but two companies to negotiate with! One of which, might I remind you, seems to have a bit of a rocky relationship with Nintendo! Square Enix doesn't just stick around to the Nintendo consoles, especially with Kingdom Hearts! All the true mainstream titles, barring Dream Drop Distance, have been, surprise surprise, Sony Exclusives.

In addition, Mr. Edgeworth, two companies means twice the amount of money Nintendo will need to shell out to obtain rights to use them in just one game!

But you seem to forget, Mr. Wright, that contrary to popular belief, Sora isn't owned by Square Enix.
My first piece of evidence that supports this claim is a game that I mentioned earlier in this thread: Kingdom Hearts V-Cast. A game that was made without any support from SE and had credited them with nothing, not even the only possible character that they supposedly owned: Sora. My second piece of evidence is this: " © Disney Developed by SQUARE ENIX", a statement that is shown on the official webpage of every Kingdom Hearts game made by SE. When these two factors are coupled together, it becomes apparent that Kingdom Hearts and Sora are IPs that Disney owns and allows Square Enix to develop as well as giving them permission to allow their characters to make cameo appearances.

With this evidence, we can safely assume that Square Enix is a non-issue when it comes to the inclusion of Sora in Smash Bros.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

But you seem to forget, Mr. Wright, that contrary to popular belief, Sora isn't owned by Square Enix.
My first piece of evidence that supports this claim is a game that I mentioned earlier in this thread: Kingdom Hearts V-Cast. A game that was made without any support from SE and had credited them with nothing, not even the only possible character that they supposedly owned: Sora. My second piece of evidence is this: " © Disney Developed by SQUARE ENIX", a statement that is shown on the official webpage of every Kingdom Hearts game made by SE. When these two factors are coupled together, it becomes apparent that Kingdom Hearts and Sora are IPs that Disney owns and allows Square Enix to develop as well as giving them permission to allow their characters to make cameo appearances.

With this evidence, we can safely assume that Square Enix is a non-issue when it comes to the inclusion of Sora in Smash Bros.

This does nothing but further my claim for why Sora isn't in the same boat as other third parties. Disney is a greedy company, and one that does not lend out their characters lightely. If we were to get Sora, we'd need to get other properties from his game. It'd be a licensing nightmare.

ENOUGH!

I believe I have enough info to reach a verdict. The court rules in favor of the defendant, Phoenix Wright. Sora is one of the least likely third party characters to ever gain a chance at being playable.

Court is now adjourned.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace

This does nothing but further my claim for why Sora isn't in the same boat as other third parties. Disney is a greedy company, and one that does not lend out their characters lightely. If we were to get Sora, we'd need to get other properties from his game. It'd be a licensing nightmare.

ENOUGH!

I believe I have enough info to reach a verdict. The court rules in favor of the defendant, Phoenix Wright. Sora is one of the least likely third party characters to ever gain a chance at being playable.

Court is now adjourned.

Woah, woah, woah,

If you honestly thought that I wouldn't have counter for that argument, then I'm truly disappointed.
Take a gander at this:
A game that Disney allowed one of their characters to be put in. If Sega could get the rights to use that character, then I'm not putting anything over Nintendo's head. That other comment you made about them having to get Disney's other IPs is also false( to an extent) because they could easily just use the KH original characters for trophy support like Riku, Kairi, a Heartless etc. if they couldn't get the rights to Donald and Goofy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom