• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sony's answer to Smash Brothers (pure speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroom Retainer

Smash Rookie
So, a colleague on another forum posted about a concept that I found to be interesting: What if Sony were to make a game like Smash Brothers? A silly, yet surprisingly deep multi-(more than 2)-player fighting game with their own characters? Of course, the topic quickly degraded into a bunch of fanboying over characters that Sony doesn't even own like Cloud, Sora, and Solid Snake, but it did get me thinking. Just how many franchies would Sony have to draw from for a game like that? So I did a little research.

Wikipedia to the rescue!

So, from that list, allow me to choose 12 noteworthy characters (the same number of chars in the original Smash)

Sly from Sly Cooper
Jak (and Daxter?) from Jak and Daxter
Ratchet (and Clank?) from Ratchet and Clank
Kratos from God of War
"Wander" from Shadow of the Colossus
Arc from Arc the Lad
Someone from Ape Escape? (not familiar with the series)
PaRappa from PaRappa the Rapper
Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal
Someone from Wild Arms, maybe Rudy from the first game?
Toan or Alex from Dark Cloud

And for WTFery, a lemming from Lemmings. You know that would be a fun character.

Of note: by Jak (and Daxter?) I don't mean 2 characters at once like Ice Climbers, I mean a primary character with a secondary character for certain moves, like Peach and Toad.

So there you have it, 12 worthwhile character options without even double-dipping into a single series or relying on third parties. I didn't even get to a number of promising newer titles. I actually found this to be an interesting post to research.

On the topic of third party possibilities...

Cloud - Final Fantasy. There is absolutely no way this game could be made without someone from FF7 (assuming 3rd parties are included at all), considering how much Sony owes that game.
Crash Bandicoot - Was kind of a Sony mascot back in the day
Solid Snake - Metal Gear Solid. It's impossible to overlook the fact that MGS has done a lot for Sony.
Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield - Resident Evil. Resident Evil is one of the best-selling video game franchises, and the majority of it's titles have debuted on Sony consoles.
Lara Croft - Tomb Raider. One of the most recognizable names in video games, who got her start on the PlayStation
Dante - Devil May Cry. A young, but popular series that until the upcoming DMC4 has been Sony-exclusive.

I'm not saying all these third parties should be included in such a game, I'm just listing options. And if I may be allowed to fanboy for a moment:
Alucard - Castlevania. Symphony of the Night was (and is) one of the best games on the PSX, and in fact, is arguably one of the best games of all time. One of the primary reasons to own a PlayStation. At least until it got re-released.

So, yea. I actually put some effort into this post, and I felt like it was a bit of a shame to let it languish and die in obscurity in a forum that couldn't appreciate it. I haven't even gotten into items or stages or anything like that, but still, I thought it was an interesting thing to speculate about. It seems a little odd to have cartoony characters like Sly and PaRappa fighting alongside gun-toters and the unrepentantly violent Kratos, but if they can get Snake to work in Brawl (and I beleive they most certainly can), then I'm sure a game like this could work out. Although I am skeptical about SCEI's ability to actually develop such a game.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
We don't allow rumor starting topics. There is no chance of it happening, and that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom